Alli.. out today/tommorow

SLACK ALICE

Silver Member
Just seen ALLI on GMTV
The new diet pill -like orlistat but half strength.
.They said it expensive , so I went to Boots site to check it out
£32 for 48 pills - you take 3 a day (lasts 16 days)
BUT............
When you read on it states that it will only work if you are on a low fat/calorie diet and doing exercise. It will stop fat being absorbed into your body and expel it in your stools.Then it stated that if you eat a meal with no fat then dont take the pill !!!!
Hang on ... am I missing something here ??
what is the point of this pill??
Your on a low fat/calorie diet -no chips ,take-outs,burgers,etc. And you are exercising. so why do you take the pill ?????????
OH... incase i want a burger !!!
Hilary Jones said if you eat a burger and have the pill - you wont make it to the loo
Might aswell save my money and buy a packet of laxatives !!

Hiya, I was thinking the same as well. I have just read a report in ' THE SUN ' so it must be true!! lol
It was basically saying the body only absord half the fat content from the food. However if you eat lots of fatty food then you will suffer bad side effects. Hence why say do it with a low calorie diet. Think I will stick with SW and excersice. Change my life habits not pop a pill.

I must admit i don't fancy it at all. I have heard too many horror stories about it. Though it has worked for some people, the woman from america on gmtv had lost 10st. I prefer sticking to sw coz i know if i want a take away i can have it every now and again, with that pill, it would just come right through you !!:eek:

I think, like many of us, when this first came out as a possibility of being offered over the counter, I did some research and was horrified at the side effects of this drug. Along with that, which is bad enough, I couldnt understand the benefits if you were already on a low fat diet.

New Diet Pill - go out for a meal, have perhaps a burger/chips/lasagna/pizza (or any other high fat food) and have the embarrassing situation with the loo to deal with, having to carry a change of clothes and let yourself get into situations where your body is basically out of control in the most unpleasant of ways..........

or

Slimming World - Go out of a meal, have perhaps a burger/chips/lasagna/pizza or any other high fat food and syn it, or use flexi syns and feel good about being in control of your body and relationship with food.

To me, this new "wonder pill" will mess with people's self confidence and not address the real reasons we all have bad relationships with food.

Shocking !

I got some pills off ebay last week, been taking them, not lost a pound-I've put on! Ended up throwing them across the room last night! Very upset since I've been on plan 100%. Will do it the natural way from now on.

If there was a magical fix then there wouldn't be a massive obesity problem!

I'd rather not live in fear of s**ting myself!

I was on Xenical for a year, ( stopped them yesterday as I feel I no longer need them). For me they were most definitely not a miracle cure, but they helped me stop my binge eating ( well you wouldn't, would you given the side effects:eek::rolleyes:), but it also allowed me to look at the reasons as to why I binged.
As I said I've now stopped the tablets, and last night I joined Rosemary Conley. For the first time in a long time, I feel like me, the me I was before kids, before I got so big. I am happier than I have been in a long time.
I think while Alli/Xenical is most definitely not everyone, the same can be said for many other ways or losing weight. Not everyone can do Lipotrim or Cambridge or Atkins. Some people prefer WW to SW. We are all here at Minimins doing the best we can, supporting one another :)
xx

I definately believe it's horses for courses but I don't rate the pills at all I'm afraid. While they work well for some people I do belive that there is a placebo effect going on. If you follow the diet you have to stick to to avoid the side effects you would have lost the same amount of weight as if you were taking them. I choose SW as I can't sit down to 3 square meals a day and I don't have the time to read labels and weigh and measure my food all the time. More importantly, I don't want to feel like I am on a diet!

My friend took Xenical and it didn't take her long to realise that if she wanted her favourite foods all she had to do was not take the pills. Totally ineffective

I know a few people like your friend who have done the same thing Taz. For me, personally, it never entered my head to cheat, and I mean that honestly.
Since I was in my teens I've yo yo dieted, I attended SW and WW on many occasions, and I did lose weight, maybe a stone or two at most, but the cycle of bingeing always always began again. I need something that would stop my bingeing in its tracks, but I also know that if my head had still been in the wrong place then I would have probably cheated the Xenical.
I don't think its as simple to say well if they follow SW, or WW or a.n.other they would have lost the weight anyway. Hand on heart if that was the case I would have lost the weight I needed to the first time I went to a slimming class.
x

Personally I believe that these kinds of pills should be available to people as a 'last chance' option... and they shouldn't be available over the counter. Their usage needs to be closely monitored and the people taking them given proper support and guidence.

Personally I believe that these kinds of pills should be available to people as a 'last chance' option... and they shouldn't be available over the counter. Their usage needs to be closely monitored and the people taking them given proper support and guidence.

I tend to agree with you there RM07 about people being closley monitored on this pill x

I totally agree with you RM07. While I was on the tabs, I had to see my GP every 4 weeks, and I was also attending Weight Management classes :)

It's like anything, it will work if you want it too - all diets, pills, exercise, healthy eating will work if you want it too.

Anything can be cheated, I hear people week in, week out saying they have been so good and haven't cheated at all on SW yet they have put weight on. There is always an excuse and it can't always be star week. At the end of the day, if it isn't a normal body fluctuation then they must have cheated.

Same goes for these pills, they will work if you follow the low fat diet bit but if you want the fatty food then you just don't take them. They can be cheated but can work if used correctly.

Do what suits. I personally don't agree with anything in a tablet form, it alters the way the body deals with food and in my opinion this isn't a good thing.

I'm a HUGE believer in SW, it works for me and i'll preach it to anyone until the cows come home, but I also appreciate that it can't work for everyone and some people need to take a pill or have an operation to help them.

Anyone can lose weight if they really want to, it all starts in the mind and if that's in the right place then the rest will follow!

Wow, long post!!! :)

Alibalibee, totally agree with everything you have said. I took xenical and lost 1 and half stone. I then had personal issues and came off them as I wasn't in the right frame of mind and quickly put on 12lbs before starting CD. These tablets are by no way a wonder pill but do keep you on the straight and narrow (because of the side effects.) I strongly agree that seeing the doctor each month helps and i am not sure how a chemist will keep track. For certain people these will and do work for others it will be a waste of money.

One of my work mates was put on Xenical and he lost a shed load of weight, looked fantastic. Problem is he's put it all back on again! As the Dr said this morning, there's no quick fix! It's down to a healthy diet and more exercise!

I must admit i don't fancy it at all. I have heard too many horror stories about it. Though it has worked for some people, the woman from america on gmtv had lost 10st

But I bet you any money she also followed a low fat/healthy eating plan of some kind. The tablets alone arent going to lose 10st but unfortunately thats the kind of slant being put on it by the media.

Xenical etc work best as a deterrent, youre so scared of the possible side effects that you stick to your diet, or eat low fat foods and THATS why you lose the weight.

I think the way this is being marketed is very unfair and totally misleading

I agree starlight, lots of people will prob rush out tomorow and buy it not knowing all the side effects. I agree that it would probably scare you into sticking to your diet lol

I got some pills off ebay last week, been taking them, not lost a pound-I've put on! Ended up throwing them across the room last night! Very upset since I've been on plan 100%. Will do it the natural way from now on.

Sorry to butt in but please please please do not buy slimming/diet pills off ebay and take them, you never know if what you are getting is the real deal or harmful in anyway

http://www.minimins.com/news-please-read/49853-please-do-not-buy-these-ebay.html

Reactions: Taz
I was prescribed Xenical years ago - I don't know whether it was being gall bladder-less that did it (only thing I can thiink of) but I got the side effects even on a very low fat diet.

For me, just not worth it

Back