ALLI

gonnagetskinny20

Silver Member
i have just purchased a 2 week trial of alli... on recommendation from my gp? does anyone on slimming world take this ? i wondered how the slimming world diet would go with this.. as id like to minimise the side effects :D

thankyou xx

Hi hun, i think you have to eat very low fat and you can do that on sw, i would watch with the syns though, i would certainly try to have low fat syns to prevent any untoward symptoms.

Good luck and let us know how it goes x

If your GP is recommending it why on earth didnt he prescribe you Xenical :eek:

Dont expect miracles from it. To be honest if youre already motivated enough to stick to SW its doubtful if youll even see any benefit to taking it

because ive lost 2 stone with slimming world which has brought my bmi down to 35.1(which is still high) and he has said he is reluctant to prescribe it to someone whos bmi isnt 40 or over :S

It says in boots that your bmi has to be 28 or over. You would think your dr would have prescribed it, coz it's a fortune x

for alli it is.....im gunna see how i get on with this trial and then see if he can prescribe me further courses... i hope he can otherwise its gunna be quite expensive :D anywayz ill keep ya posted

surely if he prescribed it you only pay the cost of the prescription regardless what drug you are on?

Good luck but I'd be wary, especially when using syns as mentioned above! Have you hit a plateau on SW?

SkinnyMoo,

The OP has bought the first 2 weeks of the course and she's hoping that her GP will prescribe it for her in the future I think, rather than now.

Gonnagetskinny,

It's entirely up to you what you choose to do to lose weight. All I want to say if please be aware that you are part of a clinical trial (Phase 4). My GP certainly warns any patient that comes into his clinic looking for drugs only just released onto the market that they are taking part in a clinical trial, as every drug recently on the market is monitored just like any 'experimental' drug still in testing. Would you volunteer for clinical trials (I'm sure you've seen these advertised, and the news when they go wrong)?

This drug was only recently authorised by the FDA, and as yet, no long term data has been collected. Personally, I would wait a while, try to lose weight without medication, and then return to these sorts of options once more information is known.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, but if SW is working, I'd stick with that - it's certainly not going to do you any harm.

I think what you might find with Alli is that it'll help you stay off the high-fat snacks because of the side-effects.

Bit of a pricey way to stay on the wagon but it does work for some people.

i saw the leaflets for these pills in boots and it only claims to help you lose an extra 1lb for every 2lb that you lose through diet and exercise. Not much of a miracle cure. You are doing all the work :)

Is Alli, Orlistat and Xenical all the same thing but different brand names, what is the actual drug called??

i saw this in the chemist in sainsburys today also, was reading the leaflet. Couldn't believe the price of them.

Good luck to whatever you choose though chick. x

Is Alli, Orlistat and Xenical all the same thing but different brand names, what is the actual drug called??

Orlistat is the 'generic' name for this drug and active ingredient will be known by this. Xenical is the prescription formulation of this (Roche pharmaceuticals) and Alli is the over-the-counter version - lower content of active ingredient than Xenical (GSK).

Internet tells me it's also known as tetrahydrolipstatin, but I haven't really heard that being used much yet - doctors should refer to it as Orlistat as that's the name that's been allocated to it.

i saw the leaflets for these pills in boots and it only claims to help you lose an extra 1lb for every 2lb that you lose through diet and exercise. Not much of a miracle cure. You are doing all the work :)

And in a lot of cases it wont even give you that extra lb. Its no miracle cure at all. I think there are going to be a lot of skint and disappointed people very soon

The side effects from this drug sound horrendous, I'd rather do it slow and steady the sw way, but good luck with it and keep us posted! I believe it squirts any fat you eat straight out of you (nappy advised!) so if you're on a v low fat diet like sw you shouldn't see any difference, except with the syns and healthy extras like olive oil, so be careful.

I have used Alli. The horrible side effects described have only occurred when I at something VERY fatty, like pork. Consuming regular meals, or even non-diet foods, like chocolate, didn't cause problems. I have not been taking it long enough to report how well it works, but even though 1 lb for every 2 does not seem like much, it means 75 instead of 50... and I will risk the side effects if it helps that much.

Maybe that's not the right answer, but its how I feel.:wave_cry:

Hi hun, how are you getting on with your alli, any side effects x

Back