Almost Newby

YoYoMel

Hi everyone,
I'm Mel and i'm thinking about joining LL but i'm a bit scared that i'll put the weight back on and then some as i've seen some returning members on the forum saying they're back because they've put the weight back on... any words of encouragement please. How does it work? I've got 2 stone to lose but i'm just hanging in the balance and admiring the weight loss of others :confused:

Hi Mel,

Welcome to MiniMins!

Like any diet if you go back to your old ways of eating after losing your weight then the weight will go back on.

With Lighter Life you get CBT to help you change your behaviour so that you can avoid most of the pitfalls that are easy to fall into.
How does it work?

A vlcd like CD/LT/LL is designed to safely maximize the 'calorie gap' this is the difference between the calories you use and the calories you eat. It provides appropriate amounts of all the essential nutrients your body needs each day in a minimum number of calories.

The average person uses up about 2000 calories energy each day so the difference between energy used up and energy eaten means that the body's reserve stores of sugar and fat are drawn on to meet the body's needs.

In this way body weight is lost.

You are not actually living on reduced calories, you are only changing the place the calories come from.

The body, when not dieting, uses mostly sugar for energy rather than fat. The sugar content of the diet is kept deliberately low so that the body's own sugar stores get used up quickly. Fat then becomes the major source of energy.

Ketosis:

When fat is burned rapidly, the body produces substances from the fat called 'ketones' and the person is said to be in 'ketosis'. The mild ketosis produced by the diet formula has a number of advantages for dieters: hunger is reduced and a feeling of well-being is often experience.

Ketones can be detected in the urine of dieters and provides encouragement than body fat is being burned. Ketones can sometimes be detected on the breath. This is only temporary and can be reduced by adequate water intake and mouth rinsing with a mouthwash (i.e. Oraldene, Listerine)

Because the low sugar level of the diet is critical to maintain ketosis, it is very important not to eat or drink anything else, apart from your daily serving of formula and approved drinks - even a nibble of apple, raw vegetables, milk in tea or coffee or merely a diet beverage may make you feel very hungry and you may find it very difficult to carry on.

Love Mini xxx

Hello and welcome! I can't add to all the expert advice above as I'm only on my first day of week 2 but I think if you approach this in the right way then it WILL work - I'm under no illusion that this is going to be quick fix and then that's it - I'm going to have to continue monitoring what I eat and being more active for the rest of my life if I want to stay healthy! I also know I can't go back to having 2 takeaways a week and expect to keep the weight off!

The thing with LL is the weight loss is quick, so it's easier to stay motivated and keep going - the weekly sessions are also already really useful to me in terms of understanding why I overate, and how I can manage my weight once the programme is finished. Good luck with whatever you decide x x x x

Hi,

I think you have to be 3 stone or more overweight to join the programme.

Or so I was told?? :confused:

To start the foundation programme you have to be in the 'obese' bmi range.... or 3+ stone to lose... but lighterlife light you can do at below this...

Thank you all for your helpful information.

I lost over ten stone and put on one again over about six months when I started eating again. I've subsequently lost it and got things fully balanced out.
While there may be people who are back because they've put on weight (I'm not sure of anyone who has put on ALL of the weight they lost though).Most of them see LL as a reliable and effective way of losing weight. And also recognise the reason they put weight back on was because they went back to their old eating habits.
For some it takes a couple of attempts to get it 100% right and keep the weight off. But for most, it works, and continues to do so.
Don't start out thinking you'll put it all back on again, because you will. Start believeing you can change the eating habits of a life time, lose the weight (which is the easy bit) and keep the weight off through what you learn on the programme.
Good luck with your journey xx

hi there
i am one of the ones who is back - i lost 4.5 stone jan - may 2009.
i have put on approx 10lbs since sept - completely my own fault, stopped excercising and started eating rubbish!

LL won't cure you, but it does give you the tools to get to where you want to go - and quickly. What you do when you get there is up to you!

ive 'only' put back 10lb and am back on packs to quickly put right the wrong i've done over 4 months. hopefully this time i won't be so silly as to let it go again

i would totally recommend LL

daisy x

Back