Altering my PAT: A cautionary tale about rushing weight loss.

KookieDoh

Ugly duckling going Swan.
Hey everyone. As most of you lovely pound losers know, my original goal was to get to 11st by Christmas. Depsite doing really well, I have started to slow down weight loss wise and suddenly went from being ahead by 4lbs to being behind. I was scared that now I have started to slow down my weight loss, I wouldn't make it and I would cave in and give up. I nearly did yesterday and ate a whole thing of ice cream! It made me sick to my stomach as well.

But then I thought "Hey, I've lost 53lbs. It has taken me years and I am in no rush to go anywhere. I'll still be skinner than I have been for years on my birthday. I'll still be skinnier than I have been for year at Christmas". So I decided to not only extend my goal date, I also decided to lose another stone! I now feel my motivation has returned as I would very much like to go to the beach next summer and not feel like a hippo.

The moral of the story is don't get caught up with time and dates and rushing to lose all the weight in one go. It can harm your motivation rather than do it good. Be happy to take your time and you will get there.

Last edited:
Hi KD,
I haven't set myself "dated" targets for exactly the reason you now said, would I feel like giving up if I didn't make it!?
I do, however, set myself 7lb targets and don't worry how long it takes to get there so long as I do!
(first one reached)

Well done you for having so much common sense and strength of character.

I admire you,

With your attitude you will make it no matter when,

hugs xxx

I do have a date target in mind, but I am all too aware that a) my body may say otherwise, and b) I may get there and decide I want to lose another half a stone/stone. So I haven't yet set an official target at group, and it isn't a fixed focus point in my head. And even if i don't get there by the date I want to get there by, I won't be far off and I will be perfectly happy on that date regardless, because it is my birthday and 10th wedding anniversary, and I will defintely be over 80lb lighter ANYWAY.

Kookie, first of all, I am so proud of you :) Feels like yesterday I remember you starting off and you not feeling too sure of yourself but you have grown so much! I feel like you're a different person, always really motivated, constantly losing weight week after week.. It's a wonder what losing 50 some pounds will do to you. Really, really well done *hugs*.

Your goal sounds totally achievable and reasonable. By taking your time, it's not as much of a stress, I have learnt that myself lately. Just do it properly and in a year's time (or less), you'll be so content with yourself, you won't even know what hit ya. Keep it up x

I'm sure you're anything but a hippo sweetie!! Feeling low makes it harder to eat healthy, but we're all here to help and encourage you!!

Back