alternatives to fry light

never got on with it last time round, seemed to take off the non stick off pans and not keen on the taste - never had it too hot either and the pan was an almost new tefal :mad:

so without syns - does anyone use an alternative - spoke to a few at group last night and they use watered down sunflower oil - anyone else?

Buy Mr. Hugh's Spray Rapeseed Oil (200ml) online in Tesco at mySupermarket. I've never seen this one but it has fewer calories per 100ml than fry light... Crisp and dry spray has slightly more but only a small amount, and the flora one might be ok if its a similar type of spray to fry light (squirt squirt as opposed to a long single spray like a deodorant can... If you know what I mean?) Just don't go near the lurpak one! As lovely as it is that one is DEFINITELY not suitable hehehe!

Buy Mr. Hugh's Spray Rapeseed Oil (200ml) online in Tesco at mySupermarket. I've never seen this one but it has fewer calories per 100ml than fry light... Crisp and dry spray has slightly more but only a small amount, and the flora one might be ok if its a similar type of spray to fry light (squirt squirt as opposed to a long single spray like a deodorant can... If you know what I mean?) Just don't go near the lurpak one! As lovely as it is that one is DEFINITELY not suitable hehehe!

What's the crisp and dry like? I'm also not a big fan of fry light. I can definitely taste it in my food and I can see it in somethings too. Slightly odd!

I can't stand Frylight - it doesn't cook things the way I want them, and it makes a dreadful mess of pans and utensils. The Berio oil is very good, or I will just use regular oil and/or butter and that's what I use my syns for.

I don't really like fry light, so things like SW chips are baked on a non-stick oven tray with nothing on them at all and we just tend to 'fry' stuff in a little bit of water.

I do use Frylight for some things, but a lot of the time I just use a teaspoon of oil and syn it (2 syns).

You've been given some good alternatives to Fry-Light so the following may be redundant, but I haven't had any problems with my non-stick pans and Fry-Light. I was told that the trick is to plunge them straight into hot, soapy water as soon as you empty out the contents. Apparently the worse thing you can do is use cold water on them.

I'm the same Patty - I've never had any problems with it either taste wise or in terms of pans/utensils, but I always put it into a cold pan and then heat and use it very sparingly (I don't like SW chips or fry ups anyway so the most it gets used for is things like Mediterranean Roast Veggies, vegetable curries, risottos etc where there are so many other flavours in the finished dish that no oil has a chance of flavouring it lol).

I'm also rather anal about not eating until I've washed up lol (I can't enjoy a meal knowing that there is going to be a pile of dishes to do afterwards :( ), so pots and pans are always put straight into (very) hot water and washed as soon as they're emptied, so perhaps that's why.

the worst thing about frylight ( not previously mentioned) in my opinion is the price.

its extortionate!

the worst thing about frylight ( not previously mentioned) in my opinion is the price.

its extortionate!

True lol - but I'm only on my 2nd bottle (3rd if you count the bottle of olive oil one that I keep in) in a year and I'm sure I used to spend more than that on oil/ olive oil in the same amount of time. My biggest expense is balsamic vinegar - I'm addicted to the stuff!

its extortionate!

Thats true but it lasts forever so I kind of think it works out cheaper in the end

Thanks will deffo try the rapeseed one from Tesco.

You're welcome! Hope it's better :)

They are now doing a garlic flavour one of the fry light which is quite nice, other wise I think some things are worth the few syn value for the oil.

I've just started SW and wont use the fry lite because of the additives. Instead I'm using Filippo Berio light spray or I'll save my syns to use coconut oil instead. I also use Agave syrup instead of sweetener when I bake.

I use the Carotina Healthier Oil from Morrison's, it's palm oil and apparently a lot better for you than normal oils.
I have just bought some new pans from QVC and they advise not to use 'chemical based sprays' like Frylight as it does cause damage to the coating of the pans.
The 'chemical based' label was enough to put me off!!
I washed the contents of my frylight bottle out, half filled it with Carotina oil and topped it up to 3/4 full with water.
I just shake well before spraying now, and I know it's all natural and not chemical based!

I love frylight butter and garlic versions and have had no,problems,with my pans...i wash them straight,away too

Back