Alternatives to gyms

Mscheeky

Hope someone can offer some advice/ideas

I have restarted SW again but would like to incorporate some form of exercise to increase the losses. However, the gyms in my area are roughtly £40 plus which I just can't afford when adding in fees to SW. I have looked at home fitness equipment but am overwhelmed at the choices! I live in a flat with bf and a toddler so it can't be bulky or dangerous which rules out running machines/x-trainers etc.

What do other people do in this situation? I have thought about running but I doubt think the world is ready for that sight!! Have also considered cycling. Not riden since I was early teens but hoping it would come back to me ... Would also need to purchase a bike (any links to decent but reasonably prices bikes would be welcome)

Any ideas gratefully received

Last edited:
How about getting some exercise DVDs to start with, doing them for a while and then giving running a go when you are comfortable? Or walking? You could take your toddler out for long walks with the pram. I have the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD, which you will read loads about on here, and that is good.

I started running a bit when I was at my heaviest (16+ stone) - I was embarrassed and felt that everyone was watching me when they were driving past in their cars, but in reality people have way better things to do, and I got over my embarrassment quite quickly. I would give it a go if you fancy it, even if it is just a walk/ run to start with until you build up to more running.

One other option, are there any bootcamps in your area? Most do deals if you sign up for a block of classes, which keeps the cost down. For example, I go to an hour long bootcamp once a week, and it is £3.50 per session or £30 for a block of 10. It is so much fun and its lovely being out in the fresh air.

Thanks Rachel, some good ideas there. My som is a little too old for the pushchair now, but he does enjoy walking so can defininitely utilise that idea. Have thought about 30 Shred and had a look at it on you tube so another possibility. Not sure I could do bootcamp at the moment but something to work towards in the future

P.s. You have done brilliantly on SW!

How about getting some exercise DVDs to start with, doing them for a while and then giving running a go when you are comfortable? Or walking? You could take your toddler out for long walks with the pram. I have the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD, which you will read loads about on here, and that is good.

I started running a bit when I was at my heaviest (16+ stone) - I was embarrassed and felt that everyone was watching me when they were driving past in their cars, but in reality people have way better things to do, and I got over my embarrassment quite quickly. I would give it a go if you fancy it, even if it is just a walk/ run to start with until you build up to more running.

One other option, are there any bootcamps in your area? Most do deals if you sign up for a block of classes, which keeps the cost down. For example, I go to an hour long bootcamp once a week, and it is £3.50 per session or £30 for a block of 10. It is so much fun and its lovely being out in the fresh air.

Thanks Mscheeky, I've gone for slow and steady and its working :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do exercise wise!

I find playing football in the park with my little girl gets me tired, more so than walking with her since she tends to get tired after about 2 miles and/or walks at super slow speed. But playing ball games together gets me sweaty and exhausted super quick :). Also when she is on her bike / scooter she tends to go faster which keeps me on my toes!

Baby_Cakes said:
I have 21 different workout dvd that i am trying to sell or part with. let me know if you are interested in any of them.

21???!!! That's a lot! :p

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

I have not been to a gym since starting Slimming World and i am determined to prove that you do not need to join a gym to be physically fit. I purchased a exercise bike from Argos that was £99 on offer instead of £250 and that is what i do most of my exercise on. If you look on Argos's website they normally have something sports wise on offer. I did start with one of those floor bikes were its just the pedals and i started by doing 5 mins a day on that while watching T.V (see men can do 2 things at once lol) and i just increased this weekly until i was light enough to go on a exercise bike. I currently do at least 1 hour a day and at least once a week do 4 hours on and off through the day. I do find if you can do 15mins first thing in the morning that helps to keep my weight losses more consistant and i will admit it took me months to get into jumping on the bike first thing in the morning as i hate mornings haha.

Good luck!

Jillian Michaels titles, Davina McAll titles, Debbie Rush, Natalie Cassidy, Claire Nasir, Billy Blanks, Jenniffer Ellison, Nadia Swahla...

Back