Alternatives to scan bran when having porridge as HEX B

judywoody

Hi,

I actually never realized that I have to eat a scan bran with my porridge when I choose it as an HEX B...so now I want to do it properly! BUT: I hate scan bran - it's just yuk and I can't buy it anymore because I no longer go to the groups...

In an old thread I read that there is no alternative - you just have to go by the rules..Maybe SW has introduced a change since?
I don't think a change of diet means that we have to force down food that we don't like...I'm sure there must be an alternative? (Even if it hasn't been discovered by SW yet??:))
Am I allowed a Ryvita instead?

I was also thinking about eating oat bran porridge instead of normal porridge as this contains more fibre and maybe that would be ok too? Apparently the online version says you can have oat bran instead of normal porridge. But not sure whether I have to eat anything with it?

Can anyone help?

No sorry, it is either a scan/oat bran or nothing at all. It's perfectly okay not to have the scan bran if you don't want to .

Sorry Circes, is right BUT ... on the Healthy B list it says:
27g Sachet Oat so Simple & 1 oat/scan bran
27g Sachet Oat so Simple & 1 Ryvita Wholegrain

So if you get an Oat so simple you can have ryvita instead of the Oat/Scan Bran

Oh cool!that's great...thanks for letting me know!

Hi, I'm not overly keen on the 'raw' scan bran either. So, on the days I have porridge, I soak a scan bran in some tinned tomato and take it that way with my lunch or a superfree mid morning snack. Don't forget it doesn't have to be eaten at the same time as the porridge - just fit it in at some point during the day.:wave_cry:

I actually break my scan bran up and cook it in the porridge. That way you hardly notice it's there and I don't think you can taste it.

I cheat with this and say that
1 HeB =5 scan bran
1 HeB =1 Scan bran plus 28g porridge

so 28g porridge =4/5 HeB
so
1HeB = 28g x 5/4 = 35g porridge

Yes I know I am weird and like maths, but I wouldn't eat the scan bran either and like porridge. You eat the same amount of syns/calories, but it's possible that the porridge doesn't have as much fibre and the scan bran compensates for this. Personally I think they just like to keep all measures to 1oz.

I cheat with this and say that
1 HeB =5 scan bran
1 HeB =1 Scan bran plus 28g porridge

so 28g porridge =4/5 HeB
so
1HeB = 28g x 5/4 = 35g porridge

Yes I know I am weird and like maths, but I wouldn't eat the scan bran either and like porridge. You eat the same amount of syns/calories, but it's possible that the porridge doesn't have as much fibre and the scan bran compensates for this. Personally I think they just like to keep all measures to 1oz.

I like maths too, but it is to do with the fibre and porridge doesn't have enough fibre on it's own to count as a full HExB, so having more isn't following plan... sorry.

I pretty much knew that, but at target now so trying to slowly trying to be a bit less strict.
Never tried cooking it in the porridge though, might give it a try.

Back