Alton Towers

Wendi

Hope someone can help me please .... :)

I am off to Alton Towers in October and I am really worried about if I will be able to go on all the rides they have. I am going with my partner and family and I really don't want a situation to arise when they can go on and I can't... :eek:

I have set myself a goal of losing two more stones by October but even then I'm not too sure whether that will be enough.

I have looked online as to what restrictions there are (it seems to be a chest restriction of 50" and a weight restriction of 17.5st for most but I'm guessing that will be different for each person as everyone carries weight differently).

I would be grateful to hear other people's experiences. I'm currently a tight size 20 so I would hope to be an 18 by the time we go.

As much as I want to go if it looks like I won't be able to go on the big rides, I would rather make a flimsy excuse now and not go... :cry:

Thanks.

I'm sure you will fit in the rides if you are a size 18 that's not tooo big.

Do your best between now & then, relax & have a lovely time.

I am a size 18, was at alton towers two months back, had no problems.. i saw people alot bigger (very large men) who were on rita and oblivion... I did see one man having to get off corkscrew, so miss that one out, they couldnt get the saftey bar down over him... all the other rides should be just fine though hths x

Isn't the corkscrew gone now?

At size 18-20 you should have no problems. Some of the rides have lap bars, which obviously fit to the persons lap, others have overhead restraints. One I might avoid would be air, because firstly it's really not that great, and secondly, because you are held in a horizontal position there are thing you have to wedge your legs behind and they are blooming uncomfortable.

Use the trip as a great form of motivation to stay on plan, and enjoy your day out!!!

Thanks, yes it does help. I have friends who are size 18 who couldn't get on the rides and some that were 18-20 that could - it makes no sense! :confused:

I am a size 18, was at alton towers two months back, had no problems.. i saw people alot bigger (very large men) who were on rita and oblivion... I did see one man having to get off corkscrew, so miss that one out, they couldnt get the saftey bar down over him... all the other rides should be just fine though hths x

Thanks - yep, the trip is my motivation (amongst other things) I'm hoping the fact I'm a short-ass should help for any rides where leg room is restricted .. hehe.

Isn't the corkscrew gone now?

At size 18-20 you should have no problems. Some of the rides have lap bars, which obviously fit to the persons lap, others have overhead restraints. One I might avoid would be air, because firstly it's really not that great, and secondly, because you are held in a horizontal position there are thing you have to wedge your legs behind and they are blooming uncomfortable.

Use the trip as a great form of motivation to stay on plan, and enjoy your day out!!!

Has anyone else been recently and had any problems or are the rides more generous than I think?

I've been recently and was probably a size 20 and around 17st7-18st and went on all the big rides so I am sure you will be fine!!

Thanks for asking that question as my husband and I were thinking of going next month.

And at 6'7" he is 22st and a 52" chest although he is by no means obese! It's annoying though when they do group things by blanket restrictions e.g height and weight but I do understand why but when my DH sees that it makes him feel even taller and bigger as it draws his attention to it :(

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

great thread. we do worry ouselves about strange things - as i have a thread on here about not fitting in an aeroplane seatbelt in 2 weeks time - i will have sleepless nights, but not enough to cancel my holiday.
I am sure that you will have a great time.

Thanks to all that have replied - you have put my mind at rest. Fingers crossed my worries will be unfounded!

Northern lass - hope you have a fantastic holiday!

Niknaks - Do report back here as to what rides are the best to go on. I haven't been there for years and I have read there are lots of new rides!!

MM - I'm not going until October but will definitely let you know how it goes. Hope you and your husband have a great time there next month.

Smokes - Thanks. I should be about 18-20 so your responses reassures me alot.

I know this is an old thread but...

Ripsaw you might have a problem with, they seem to have to take people off the ride every 3 cycles or so for not being able to fit into the restraints properly. Again it's a problem with being held completely upside down, the restraint tightens when you hang upside down completely (you get on and it feels a bit loose, upside down it kills you) and there are tightly moulded bum seats in the ride because of the clamp between your legs rather than a belt.

I know this is an old thread but...

Ripsaw you might have a problem with, they seem to have to take people off the ride every 3 cycles or so for not being able to fit into the restraints properly. Again it's a problem with being held completely upside down, the restraint tightens when you hang upside down completely (you get on and it feels a bit loose, upside down it kills you) and there are tightly moulded bum seats in the ride because of the clamp between your legs rather than a belt.

my brother had a similar problem but with him though the safety bar wouldn't go down so after shifting him and his also large friend around they decided it was my brother and got him off. Hwas quite relieved about as he decided he didnt want to go on it afterall but didnt want to chicken out. They gave him 4 passes to go on nemesis via the exit without queuing though which cheered him up!

Hi I went to Alton Towers back at beginning of May when I was at my heaviest 20-22 and 16st 10lb and I went on everything. Am a massive rollercoaster fan. Didn't have any probs fitting. Found air a little bit of a squeeze on the legs but there were men larger who had no problems. Have fun

Hi i know this is an old thread, but im so worried! i go to alton towers tomorrow, ive tried getting in touch all week but no replies! its disgusting really...
anyway i'm 16 stone 7 with a 38 in waist, 50 inch belly and 50 inch legs, any idea if i will fit?
i went in march and cant remember if i was bigger or not, fitted on everything uncomfortably, air i had to be extra strapped in they nearly didnt let me on, and i spent the whole ride worrying if i was gonna fall out or not :( im absolutely terrified, someone let me know please, id rather know now than to find out there xxxx

alton towers - will i fit?

i go to alton towers tomorrow, ive tried getting in touch all week but no replies! its disgusting really...
anyway i'm 16 stone 7 with a 38 in waist, 50 inch belly and 50 inch legs, any idea if i will fit? (size 20-22)
i went in march and cant remember if i was bigger or not, fitted on everything uncomfortably, air i had to be extra strapped in they nearly didnt let me on, and i spent the whole ride worrying if i was gonna fall out or not im absolutely terrified, someone let me know please, id rather know now than to find out there

abijo said:
i go to alton towers tomorrow, ive tried getting in touch all week but no replies! its disgusting really...
anyway i'm 16 stone 7 with a 38 in waist, 50 inch belly and 50 inch legs, any idea if i will fit? (size 20-22)
i went in march and cant remember if i was bigger or not, fitted on everything uncomfortably, air i had to be extra strapped in they nearly didnt let me on, and i spent the whole ride worrying if i was gonna fall out or not im absolutely terrified, someone let me know please, id rather know now than to find out there

Am pretty sure you'll be fine.

I'm 5.9'' and have always been around 18 stone. Been plenty of times and had no probs so am sure you'll be fine xx

ETA - I've always been a 22/24 xx

Back