Am I being a total square?

liv82

Hi guys,

I started slimming world in January and made a promise to myself that I would never let myself feel as bad about myself as I did due to my weight. I decided there and then that I would feel happy in my skin and that this summer I would be comfortable to walk around not completely covered up. I know that this is going to be hard going but am willing to go for it.
My friends are really complimentary about my weight loss so far and give me lots of praise. However, we have all been invited to a friends house this Saturday for takeaway and drinks. I've made the desision to have a take away but made a pass on the drink. I know that I wont stop after one and then this leads on to crisps, dip etc. My friends are now saying Im turning into a bore because I wont drink and that I need to let my hair down. One actually said whats the point of me coming if I wont drink? I've tried to explain my determination but they just laugh in my face. I'm startingto think I should just stay at home!!

:eek:
I'm a t-totaller. I've never drunk and I find the peer pressure from friends annoying. Surely it is up to you whether you want to drink or not, regardless of your reasoning!!! :mad:

I've never struggled to have fun because I've been sober and I think to associate good times with being drunk as a little imature and narrow-minded!

I would go, have a good time and when/if your friends get so drunk you are unable to communicate and join in the fun (that sometimes happens because as people get drunker they get louder as they ALL need to be heard you tend to get a bit lost) make your excuses and leave.

YOU ARE NOT A SQUARE!

There is so much pressure sometimes to 'fit in' with everyone else.

If you know you can't stay within your syns once you've had a drink then don't drink. The alternative is to use your syns on a weekly basis & have a drink or alternate alchol with soft drinks. Don't feel pressure to drink. Do you drive? You could drive to your friends they you 'have an excuse' not to drink.

Once your friends have had a few drinks they'll forget you aren't drinking & it wont be an issue.

Go & enjoy yourself.;)

Hi guys,

I started slimming world in January and made a promise to myself that I would never let myself feel as bad about myself as I did due to my weight. I decided there and then that I would feel happy in my skin and that this summer I would be comfortable to walk around not completely covered up. I know that this is going to be hard going but am willing to go for it.
My friends are really complimentary about my weight loss so far and give me lots of praise. However, we have all been invited to a friends house this Saturday for takeaway and drinks. I've made the desision to have a take away but made a pass on the drink. I know that I wont stop after one and then this leads on to crisps, dip etc. My friends are now saying Im turning into a bore because I wont drink and that I need to let my hair down. One actually said whats the point of me coming if I wont drink? I've tried to explain my determination but they just laugh in my face. I'm startingto think I should just stay at home!!

Ahhh hun, sorry that you're feeling a bit down, but don't give up on your journey to target, you will do it.

I wonder if your friends would say that you're a bore if you were allergic to alcohol??!

Sometimes close friends and family can feel threatened by the changes that we HAVE to make to reach our goals - but don't give up! Do your friends know how you feel and why you're determined to get to target, maybe chatting with them about it, they'll understand a bit more??

Go on Saturday, have a great time - drive if necessary so you definitely can't drink if you don't want too xxx

Go Go Go!!!! I don't drink but always have a good time!! :D Enjoy your takeaway!!!

I'd lie, say I was going to drink, then on the day say I'd had cramps/bad headache so had to take paracetamol and then can't drink.

How about saying you are on antibiotics so cant drink? Just say its for an ear infection-not contagious and no symptoms people would be looking for

Put your foot down and dont drink hun. if you have made a decision then stick to it.u dont have to do what everyone else wants and your friends should respect your decision now to drink. since i started my diet ive decided not to drink, just a very odd time, until i lose weight! and as for the friend that said whats the point in coming if u dont drink..i think that says more about her than it does about u!!

My friends always marvel at how I can have a good time without drink. It is up to you what you want to do. Maybe tell them how much it's annoyed you how they are making fun of your decision not to drink. Or go and meet them the next day and laugh very extremely loudly when they are dying with a hangover! ;)

Here's what you say, word for word...

"I'm sorry, but when did YOU start deciding what I must and must not put into my body?... Do I tell you not to drink that, eat that, smoke that, take those pills, sleep with that guy ( or girl.. )?... No?... Then STFU and mind your own business..... I'll eat what I want to eat and drink what I want to drink and leave you to do the same, ok?"

Nice one Coljack!

That friend may be jealous of your self control and the fact that you are becoming more gorgeous and slinky by the day (while she grows more narrow minded). Stick to your guns!

Hi guys,

Theres nothing wrong about taking SW and your weightloss/health seriously.
Similar things have been levelled at me. I usually decline such offers as they often end up "messy"

I'm also teetotal and am comfortable with saying "no" to people as peer pressure bothers me not.

Actually it works for me as they often say just come and have salad & steak or chicken etc. Not drinking saves a fortune on taxi fares too;)

I'm teetotal and never have a problem enjoying myself at parties. My friends don't bother themselves at all about it - far too busy enjoying themselves too! It's a real shame that your pals are so down about it though. Make sure your designated driver for the night and hopefully they'll be so grateful they won't make any comments!

I'm a very occasional drinker and have always been. I can go a year or two without a drink but it has never stopped me having a great time when I go out. I can relate though as my daughter who is also on SW doesn't get the support she was hoping from her friends. Not sure if this relates to you but I think the truth of the matter is she has always been the joker of the group (like a lot of us that are overweight) and therefore although they envied her for being the 'centre' of the attention they never felt threatened by her because of her weight. Now that she is loosing weight they are starting to feel threatened because not only does she have the great sense of humour they are discovering how beautiful she is (something I've always known!) and that worries them!

You have to do what is right for you. Good luck!

I think I'd start offering them food and drink constantly for the next couple if days and every time they say no call them a square or boring for turning any of it down see how they like it! Personally I don't drink that much but I think I'd be annoyed if people thought I was no fun just because I'm not drinking that night. I should hope they think I'm fun all the time not just when we're all pissed!

Back