Am I being a total square?

I am t -total too!I never let that bother me if I am out.Happy to have a slimline tonic and don't give a monkeys what people say!Take with a big 2 litre bottle of your own favourite diet soda and to hell with all their comments.Go easy on the takeaway too!!!And keep strong and focused.You will feel so strong after resisting all the alcohol!!
Above all have fun and don't let them get to you.
Head up high girl!!
Carrie X

I gave up drinking for January after a really heavy Christmas. Went to a friends house one night with others, drove so I wasnt tempted, stuck to coffee all night and had a ball. Everyone else was drinking but didnt stop me having fun. Think maybe your mates are a bit jealous of your will power?!

Everyone has given great advice and you know you won't have the self control to say no after a few drinks. Good for you!

My and my best friend have always been over weight together it was like our deep connection we understood each other, nov last year we both decided to do something about it me joining slimming world her doing Cambridge diet. We support each other no end giving ideas and texting every weigh day! The one thing we do is bully the other one into doing something we don't want to. The other night we met at the pub to catch up, I was on a very determined week had diet coke she had a stressful day and had x2 glasses of red wine every time she got a drink she would say "oh go on don't be boring one little magners won't hurt!" I'm ashamed to say I've done exactly the same thing to her! It's jealousy. jealousy at the other persons control while theirs wasn't so good they feel bad that they can't display the same control cos deep down they want to!
Good luck tell them politely but firmly that you will either eat or drink not both and this time you want to enjoy a Chinese with them.
Xxx

If you were to go out and spend all night complaining about not being able to drink, then maybe your friends might have a point but seeing as you haven't been out yet so they have no idea how you will be they should wind their necks in!

I wouldnt even bother to make up excuses as its your body & your choice. I am a very occassional drinker & even at that I would just have a glass of wine with a meal & then stop. I feel so much more in control when it comes to food now & want to stay that way. Like you I fear that if I had a few too many I would start munching & not know when to stop. Enjoy your takeaway & I'm sure you'll have a great night

I agree with what everyone else has said!!!

Stick to your guns hun .... if u dont want to drink - Dont drink!!! I havent had a drink since I was pregnant with my children ... they are 11 and 9 now .... I just dont like it so it doesnt bother me when everyoone else is drinking but its usually me who is the loudest anyway ... im usually the person up dancing first at parties and having a great laugh whereever we are ... I dont need a drink to have a good time so take no notice of whatever they are saying ... u will be rewarded when u get on the scales at the next WI.

Good luck xxxx

I have a friend that has never drunk and to be honest she is no more or less fun than my other friends....I don't get why it makes a difference.

I frequently choose to not drink and drive home more on the expense than anything else and to be honest all not drinking does for me is nearer the end of the night I find myself getting irritated by the overbearing drunks and go home...not their fault but not mine either. Have fun and ignore them...maybe they'll change their mind if they see you having just as much fun as them but you won't get the hangover the next day xx

ColJack said:
Here's what you say, word for word...

"I'm sorry, but when did YOU start deciding what I must and must not put into my body?... Do I tell you not to drink that, eat that, smoke that, take those pills, sleep with that guy ( or girl.. )?... No?... Then STFU and mind your own business..... I'll eat what I want to eat and drink what I want to drink and leave you to do the same, ok?"

This is excellent say this my problem is I would say something so strong that I daren't say it on here!
I have to say your friends are being soooo childish. People like that is why I started smoking & it's so annoying. When I started SW I gave up drink cos I wanted to see the results I've now lost a stone and half and have started having a drink once a fortnight but I use my syns weekly & then be super good for the rest of the week. However if I wanted a takeaway I would deffo not drink.
Don't bow to peer pressure you'll feel much better in the end. :D

dawnwynne said:
I'm a very occasional drinker and have always been. I can go a year or two without a drink but it has never stopped me having a great time when I go out. I can relate though as my daughter who is also on SW doesn't get the support she was hoping from her friends. Not sure if this relates to you but I think the truth of the matter is she has always been the joker of the group (like a lot of us that are overweight) and therefore although they envied her for being the 'centre' of the attention they never felt threatened by her because of her weight. Now that she is loosing weight they are starting to feel threatened because not only does she have the great sense of humour they are discovering how beautiful she is (something I've always known!) and that worries them!

You have to do what is right for you. Good luck!

This is so true, I've seen so many threads on here why "friends" have made unkind, or derogatory remarks about their "so called best friends" weightloss. A true friend would respect & honour & encourage what makes you happy.

It seems that many don't know the true meaning of what a friendship should be. A true friend would not feel threatened by another friends weighloss. I mean come on, is anything sacred these days.

Back