Am I doing this right?

muttley

Forgive me for my poor knowledge on Syns, however I have not actually joined SW as of yet. I have a friend who is doing it, and learned the basics (i think) of what I can and can't or shouldnt eat!!

I think I am doing this correctly, and if this trial run works and I manage to lose weight then I will look into joining, as I was pretty skeptical at the sound of it.

Here is what I have eaten for the last 2 days, and what I will have today - (its been a similar pattern on the week I have been eating like this for) please someone tell me if this is ok!

Tuesday: (green day)

No Breakfast
12:00 Small jacket potato with beans (no butter or anything)
15:00 muller light vanilla yoghurt
18:30 Cheesy pasta mug shot, 3 soft boiled eggs, 2 slices of wholemeal bread as toast.
No snacks or anything - 2 black coffees, no sugar, 1 can diet coke, about 1-1.5 litres of water

Yesterday (Weds - red day)
No Breakfast
12:30 - tin of Tuna in brine, with 1 tablespoon of Hellmans light mayo mixed in, eaten on its own, and a Heinz Classic soup, Tomato, Chicken and Red pepper i think?
15:30 Muller light new orange and chocolate yoghurt
18:30 250g beef mince (tesco less than 20% fat, fried in 2 tablespoons of veg oil, along with 2 small red onions, paprika, and chilli flakes, and some spicy normal Dolmio tomato sauce stuff (i did drain the fat if that helps!) and stuffed it into a baked red pepper.
21:30 had a pool match at the pub, drank a pint and a half of diet pepsi and ate a small burger. (bad i know)

Today (not sure what day!) I have had a Muller light for breakfast, vanilla with the cherry underneath, for lunch at about 1, I am going to have a tin of Tuna on a medium jacket potato, no butter, but 1 tbsp of hellmans light mayo, sweetcorn and a small red onion. Will be 3 having poached eggs on 2 slice of toast for tea (wholemeal, no butter) and so far today had a black coffee and 0.75 litres of water, probably a can of diet coke and a glass of water when I get home.

Am I doing this right? Hopefully someone will be kind enough to let me know how many 'Syns' I am consuming throughout the day?

Many thanks in advance

Hello and welcome! :D

Why are you skipping breakfast? Most important meal of the day! And you don't seem to be eating any fruit or veg. It's important to get those superfree foods in...

And then there's making sure you have your healthy extras. You need some A and B choices going on!

You said you want to give it a go before joining properly, but I think to give it a fair go to see if it works (and there are many people here who are proof that it does!) you actually have to do the plan properly, not just have a go at what you think the plan is, IYSWIM? I'm not criticising, but I just want you to be happy with the fantastic plan that is SW, including the free foods, healthy extras and generous syns. The best way of doing it properly is to start at class, get the right info and do it by the book!

Have a look at Squiddie's thread for newbies, which is a sticky at the top of the page. From there, you should be able to get a better basic understanding of it, do SW properly (it does take a couple of weeks or so to get your head round it all) and start losing, seeing results and feeling fab with all the great food you're eating!

Last edited:
Tuesday: (green day)

No Breakfast Please eat something!
12:00 Small jacket potato with beans (no butter or anything)
15:00 muller light vanilla yoghurt
18:30 Cheesy pasta mug shot, 3 soft boiled eggs, 2 slices of wholemeal bread as toast.What size loaf? 400g or 800g?
No snacks or anything - 2 black coffees, no sugar, 1 can diet coke, about 1-1.5 litres of water
You haven't had any A choices - milk or cheese. You haven't eaten nearly enough, I'd be starving. No enough fruit or veg hun.
Syns would be a couple for the cheese mug shot apart from that,no other syns

Yesterday (Weds - red day)
No Breakfast Again, eat something!
12:30 - tin of Tuna in brine, with 1 tablespoon of Hellmans light mayo 2 syns mixed in, eaten on its own, and a Heinz Classic soup, Tomato, Chicken and Red pepper i think? about 7 syns
15:30 Muller light new orange and chocolate yoghurt
18:30 250g beef mince (tesco less than 20% fat,needs to be very low fat fried in 2 tablespoons of veg oil, 12 syns!! use fry light along with 2 small red onions, paprika, and chilli flakes, and some spicy normal Dolmio tomato sauce stuff 12.5 syns for 500g jar (i did drain the fat if that helps!) and stuffed it into a baked red pepper.
21:30 had a pool match at the pub, drank a pint and a half of diet pepsi and ate a small burger. (bad i know)

Today (not sure what day!) I have had a Muller light for breakfast, vanilla with the cherry underneath, 2 syns for lunch at about 1, I am going to have a tin of Tuna on a medium jacket potato, no butter, but 1 tbsp of hellmans light mayo, sweetcorn and a small red onion. Will be 3 having poached eggs on 2 slice of toast for tea (wholemeal, no butter) and so far today had a black coffee and 0.75 litres of water, probably a can of diet coke and a glass of water when I get home.

Am I doing this right? Hopefully someone will be kind enough to let me know how many 'Syns' I am consuming throughout the day?

Many thanks in advance

Well hun, if I were you I'd join a group and get all the info you need. You need to know exactly what to do. You may well be sceptical but if you follow this plan then it won't work! A few things are good but for example, the bolognaise is baaaaad but you can make it for free.

Best to have hellman's X light mayo but today your lunch is fab (on and Extra Easy day)

Honestly, best advice - go to group!

Personally I would say if you can join a group. You need to know about healthy extra's and also syns. There are so many ways to make family favourites that are syn free or low syn once you know all the options available to you.

I would say you need to eat some fruit and veg and also have a breakfast- even if it's chopped fresh fruit and yogurt.

Hi guys thanks for replying so quickly. I don't eat breakfast as I am never hungry when I wake up and don't get hungry until around 11:30, and usually eat lunch at 12-12.30 so I just wait for that. Plus I'm walking to and from work which is 1.8 miles each way. I don't think I have the confidence to sit in a group of people, I'm not really good with anything like that - I'm a 21 year old guy, 5'8 and weigh in at just under 13st - will there be many people like that in the group already? I wouldn't like to be the only one my age!!

I really appreciate you helping out, thanks so much =)

There are not many men in groups but most groups have a couple (we have 3) but it doesn't matter, it really doesn't and in fact they are well looked after!

Even if you go along and join to get all the info it will be the best tenner you've spent. You don't even have to stay if you don't want - I never recommend weighing and going but many people do, however, staying to group helps you learn so much.

As for brekkie, it does kick start the metabolism for the day and even if you are not hungry, try a banana on your walk to work - it will help!

You would be surprised at the wide range of people who go to group. When I first went I was 21 and worried that it would be full of the blue rinse brigade but it wasn't like that at all.

As an example, if you follow red days you can eat unlimited amounts of lean meats and all visible fat must be removed. On top of this you can eat most fruit and veg freely (no potatoes, parnsips, sweet potatoes, sweetcorn, peas), fat free of virtually fat free yogurts (some do have syns though) and stock cubes, herbs and spices. You also get 2 'A' choices a day to use on milk and cheese (these are very specific quantities) and 2 'b' choices for bread, potatoes, cereal, pasta etc (again very specific qunatities). You then get 15 syns a day for treats or items that aren't free.

If you don't want to join a class or join online, what about picking up the magazine and having a read through it. You could even follow the seven day extra easy eating plan.

I notice you said that a friend of yours is doing slimming world, If they are going to a group could you not go with them, at least to get you through the door?

If you are worried about joining a group you could join online. I have done that as I find I cant commit to the same time every week.

It is very helpful, with your own diaries, record of exercise and all the recipes.

I have to say that first thing I noticed was - NOT EATING ENOUGH - lol

*Small* jacket potato??? Are you mad?? Make it a HUGE jacket potato - still just as free on green!

*hugs muttley*

Welcome. I agree with what everyone else is saying, you really need to go to class and get the correct information, because eating too little can actually stop you losing weight. If you're shy that's ok, the first person you meet will be the consultant who will take you to one side and chat to you about the plan and what it entails. Then you can just sit on the sidelines and listen to everyone else talk, then when they've gone home you get weighed.

Please try going to class, because slimming world is a great plan if you follow it properly.

And on the not hungry on a morning thing, I used to be like you to the point where eating within a few hours of waking up made me feel nauseous, but I persevered, starting with just a banana, and moving on to mixed fruit and yogurt. Which is still the most I can manage, although if I've been up really early for a run I do sometimes need something else before work.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Toni. x

I agree, you are not eating ANYWHERE NEAR enough! Try looking on SW website & download the week's menu on there, to see a healthy balanced plan of how much you should be eating.

Firstly, I would like to say that I can't thank everyone enough for responding to me on this one.

I have to say that before last week, although I was probably only eating similar amounts, it was definately the wrong stuff, ie takeaways, milk in my coffee, full fat soft drinks, crisps etc and around 20 pints of lager per week as well as other drinks when I'm out.

I will see what I weigh in at tomorrow morning, was 12st 11.2 last Friday morning and if I have lost anything I will perhaps take the plunge and join, I could do with the Food Optimising book thing which tells you all the Syns!

Thanks again, and if anyone has any further tips I am happy to listen to them!

Hi guys thanks for replying so quickly. I don't eat breakfast as I am never hungry when I wake up and don't get hungry until around 11:30, and usually eat lunch at 12-12.30 so I just wait for that. Plus I'm walking to and from work which is 1.8 miles each way. I don't think I have the confidence to sit in a group of people, I'm not really good with anything like that - I'm a 21 year old guy, 5'8 and weigh in at just under 13st - will there be many people like that in the group already? I wouldn't like to be the only one my age!!

I really appreciate you helping out, thanks so much =)

Im only 17, i'm 5ft 1 (ish!) and i weighed in at just a few lbs under 15 stone when i joined. - So dont you fret, and even if there isn't , its not about your age.. your all thier to lose wieght and support each other. but you'l be fine!!
Totally secound what everyone else has said about what your eating, i never ate breakfast either, but i do now. Its important.

- you cant do the plan unless you have all teh facts, if you really dont want to go to class you can pay for online support with slimmingworld online, so you geta ll the info and support and mags, without the group support..

((husg)) good luck xxxxxxx

Back