am I eating enough?

Hi All

I have just joined the forum but am now on week 5 of RTM (which I am so glad I am doing).

In my last 2 weigh ins I have still been losing 3lbs a week on RTM (I was losing 3lbs a week consistantly on abstinance)

I was told my by LLC that I am not eating enough so...am I?

I eat:
soup (98 calories) I only started this yesterday as I am trying to listen to my LLC advice.

2 x apples

fat free yogurt, small pot (70 calories)

peanut LL bar

salad with cucumber, tomatoes and lettuce with 130g uncooked protein (I do cook it before eating it he he)

sometimes 100ml orange juice (100% juice)

I don't usually have my LL shake as I don't feel hungry (which I know is a bit naughty but I really don't feel I need it)

I have been advised by my LLC to up my protein to 200g as I am meant to have 2 meals a day, which I do but one meal is the soup.

I don't feel hungry or feel like I'm not getting enough but I don't want to pile on the lbs when I add carbs in 2 and a half weeks.

If I am eating enough and my body is just happy losing weight still then great I'll let it carry on just in case I gain on trigger weeks.

Thanks for any advice

Hey there

I continued loosing weight (about another stone) in RTM. However, I was very controlled with what I ate, calorie counted and kept good portion control. I stabilised towards the end of RTM , upping the protein wont hurt you and I completely understand the full feeling and not being able to squeeze anymore in. Try as your LLC suggests and increase the protein, see how you go with that. I will be really interested to hear how it goes for you.

Jez
xx

Hi GTISP (I can't write your whole username!!!) - I'm quite new to the boards too but looking forward to getting to know people!

I'm on week 2 of RTM and am finding it really helpful already - I know if I didn't do it I would fall by the wayside very quickly!

Will be interested to hear how you get on with your eating in case the same happens to me...

Lx

I will give upping the protein a go, or maybe adding a bit of chicken to my soup and see how it goes.

I've lost 10lbs so far on RTM in 4 weeks, the first week was 1.5lbs and second week was 2.5lbs then 2 weeks of 3lbs. It seems the more I eat (but sticking to plan) the more weight I have lost as week 1 was a lower loss. Weird.

I think I am being very controlling to myself but just think as long as I'm not hungry then I must be doing something right.

I read quite a bit of your food diary Jezebella, very well written and helped me a lot to read it before I started.

I will keep posting here then Laura and we can go through RTM together. Any questions about weeks up to 5 ask away he he.

How are things going GTISM?

I went to my first RTM meeting last Weds (didn't have a weigh in the week before as it was Christmas but had lost 8lbs in the 2 weeks!) and have another one tonight so we'll see whether I've lost - I don't feel like I have and I had my very first lapse last night so we shall see.

I have been SO controlled through the whole programme, not lapsed once, not even a lick of a finger - then last night I was doing a birthday cake (I make them for friends and friends of friends) and I've been so stressed and anxious lately (one of my best friends is in the last stages of her battle with cancer) - it started by me licking the spoon when making the cake, then I started eating the cake mixture, and ended up eating a chunk of the cake trimming once it was cooked!

I had huge emotional/stress food binge cravings all day and managed to fight it off, if I'd been able to go to bed and hadn't had to stay up to do the cakes I would have been fine but it was just too much that late at night with the temptation right there. I've drawn a line under it though and know it was just a small lapse and I know why it happened so its not going to affect me long term - today is a new day and I feel positive again - in some ways it was good to get my first lapse out the way because they are going to happen and I'm going to have to deal with them - like they say in my meetings, its not the lapses that are the issue, its what you do afterwards.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me sharing - I've got my meeting tonight so I'm going to speak to my counseller about last night and see how I can deal with it in future.

Laura x

hey Laura

I upped my calories last week a bit and lost under 1lb this week which my LLC said is more like how it should be.

I'm so sorry about your friend, I lost an uncle through cancer it's a horrible horrible disease.

My LLC is absolutely fantastic so if yours is good then definitely talk to her about this, it's what they are there for.

I lost my grandad to heart trouble last week and it has knocked me for six (I don't even get that phrase) and it has been so so difficult to not just say sod it I will have a takeaway or hit the vodka (even though I can have a small amount of vodka now) but I know it wont help, it's not going to change things and as soon as the drink or food has gone I will feel even worse.

However I have got the funeral to deal with on Monday and that wont be easy, I can still kid myself that it's not real until then. I just got to stay away from the buffet after the funeral and make sure I remember to take packs and food for me as it's in Norfolk where I am originally from and I live in Leicestershire now so can't pop home to get what I need.

I have also had problems with non stop bleeding for nearly 2 months although it has slowed a little bit and keep nearly passing out and my doctor is blaming the diet but I know It's not that as I am getting everything I need. I have upped my calaories to 900 per day (LLC said I should be on just over 1000 now at week 6 but I don't want too big a jump overnight).

I don't think it's the diet but I do think it's my
own fault I'm feeling worse, I have been so scared of gaining weight that 2 weeks ago I cut down to 1 pack a day instead of the 2 I should be having so I am back on 2 packs and 2 meals and snacks now which easily builds up my calories.

I can honestly say Laura throughout abstinance and RTM so far not once have I felt like I have lost any weight from one week to the next, I'm always nervous of the weigh in although like yourself I never once lapsed whilst on abstinance. In fact my meeting isn't until tonight but I went and got weighed last night (I walk past my LL on my way home from work) as I have been feeling fat for the last couple days and I felt like I had gained like half a stone, but it's all in my head which I really need to work on. I thought I looked bigger in the mirror too but that's impossible as my clothes don't feel and tighter and I have still been losing weight. Looks like I still have a problem with food but now I'm scared to gain...my LLC is helping me through it though to try and stop me losing any more and I will listen as I don't want a whole new set of problems haha

Anyway sorry for my rambling, let me know how you get on anyway it's always good to have someone to talk to who understands.

Oh and I was going to say, I wouldn't stress too much over a small lapse (it was small as you didn't scoff the whole cake!) as it's not as if we will be perfect in the 'real world' and will eat things occasionally that we shouldn't. It's just like you said, dealing with it afterwards and not letting it get out of hand.

Ramble away chick, I love a good ramble myself so no need to apologise, you'll have to put up with the same (as you'll have noticed!!!) :D

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandad, losing someone you love is always hard no matter how old or young they are xxx

I'm glad you've managed to keep a hold on your eating through this hard time, just remember how strong you've been so far on Monday, keep those packs handy and I've no doubt you'll be fine!

It sounds like skipping those packs might have messed around with your nutritional levels which has affected your monthly bleeds so fingers crossed getting your calorie levels right will sort it out! I had non stop bleeding a year or so ago when I had the contraceptive implant so I know how draining it can be - big hugs x

My LLC is excellent so I'll have a good chat with her tonight, plus there are currently only 2 of us in the RTM group so we get to have nice personal in depth discussions - I almost don't wany anyone else to join!!

Thanks for your wise words and if we don't 'speak' on here again beforehand I hope it goes as well as it can on Monday, will be thinking of you...

Laura x

p.s. sorry if that was a bit disjointed, I had to do some work half way through my post - tsk, blooming work getting in the way!!! :p

ha ha I find work gets in the way of a lot of things.

Thanks for your kind words.

We have 4 or 5 in our group who moved up from my foundation/developers group but some weeks maintainers show up.

I had the bleeding thing when I was 17 with the contreceptive injection and I remember it being much much worse that I have it now.

Morning!

Well last night was a weird one to say the least!! I went for my meeting and I put on 5lbs this week - how I have NO idea!! I'm not going to let it get me down because I know for a fact that there must be some weird reason for it - water rention, time of the month, my slight blip - apart from "the cake incident" I've stuck to the plan 100% so there is no way that 5lbs is a true gain - my LLC said that it might be because "the cake incident" was so recent (my meeting was less than 24hrs after the incident) so, because I'm still in ketosis, my body probably just grabbed onto the carbs and held them...

Do you know what though, I feel good about it! I'm glad I've had this test while I'm still in RTM so I'm able to look into it in more detail and figure out a plan should it happen again - its really hit home to me that, although I found the Foundation a doddle, I was getting a bit complacent and its taught me that I still have lots to learn and I really do have to keep a very tight rein on my food, any little loosening of my grip could send me right back where I was before and I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!!

Anyway, today is Week 3 so I've dropped a pack and am introducing food - I'll probably come out of ketosis this week and that in itself will be interesting - did you notice yourself coming out of ketosis GTISP? Where there any issues with it?!?

Its strange, on any other diet I would normally have felt really disallusioned after yesterday but I feel strangely elated by it, today I feel strong and in control!

Right, back to the grind, just thought I would update you! Hope you're having a good day!

Laura x

Hi Laura

The 5lb gain would probably be because your body isn't used to that kind of food which is why I guess they expect us to gain a little back during trigger weeks. I mean if we gained 5lb every time we had a little chocolate we would have been a lot bigger than we were in the first place.

One lady in our group gained 4lbs one week as she couldn't go to the loo (constipated) for 3 days before the weigh in. She had a pop in 2 days later and had lost that and more! Maybe you could ask you LLC if you could have a pop in to be weighed as our LLC does pop ins Monday - Thursday from 5 till half 6.

I tried to up my protein to 200g last night as advised but I just couldn't manage it all, I think I will split it between lunch and dinner so it's not so much at once. At the moment I am just having a salad or soup for lunch so I'll add some chicken or tuna to it.

I haven't really felt anything different when coming out of ketosis. We were warned we may feel hungry at times but I haven't yet. I definitely haven't felt anything bad.

It's great to have fruit again isn't it? I missed fruit more than anything else so now I'm eating fruit I'm not finding it difficult to stick to RTM as if I have a sweet craving then I have an apple.

I do find myself really nervous of weigh ins now though as I know I will probably gain weight on RTM at some point (but probably not size) because of glycogen levels coming back. That may have something to do with your gain, not fat but your glycogen levels coming back which is going to happen at some point to everyone.

I feel so ill at the moment (still have to work) and really don't feellike eating anything as I can taste anything and my throat kills but just forced down a bar. I have always gone off food when ill so it's not good as I don't want my body holding on to any calories it does get so I am going to force myself to eat what my body needs.

Thanks for that GTISP - I think I might take your advice and go to the pop in on Sunday morning to see whether it was just an "on the day" gain - although I'm still feeling ok about it and don't feel any heavier so deep down I know its just a one off!

Am LOVING having fruit back in my life!!! I had some grapes on the train on the way home last night and it was so nice, in fact all the anxiety I had about having to stop having my bars was totally washed away when I realised that fruit could easily fill that gap! I was at a friends for dinner last night as well and for desert I had a small serving of blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with low fat plain yoghurt - it was delicious and just what I needed to take away the sweet craving! LOVE IT!!

I've got a wedding reception this evening so I'm a little bit anxious about that - as far as I can tell I've got two options:

1) Have my 'meal' at lunchtime, then have my soup before I go this evening and only eat something if there is fruit or crudite type things.

2) Have my normal soup/veg & dips at lunchtime and then eat only protein/salad from the food at the reception - this one is a bit iffy as I have no idea what food there will be, I don't know if its buffet type food or proper food if you see what I mean?

I think really I should go with option 1 as that is the safest... At least I don't have to worry about the drink issue as I'll be driving - phew!!!

How are you feeling today hon, any better? Do make sure you keep your food intake up otherwise your body will not have the energy to get better - even if its just lots of veggies and fruit at least you'll be giving it something to fight with!!

Lx

I would go with option 1. It's a smililar problem I will have on Monday with what food will be available so am taking my own with me. Like you say, best to be safe. It's not worth getting this far and ruining it with one event.

Why do you have to stop having your bars? I still have a bar a day and a shake as it's a good way to up my calorie intake and I love my bars and will miss them when I'm done.

I was sent home from work about half an hour ago as I was getting so bad. I had to have the outside door open as I was just so hot and everyone else was cold. I am now tucked up in bed with my beechams capsules, water and tissues.

Have a fantastic weekend if we don't speak before

Hi honey,

I hope you're feeling better and your weekend was ok, I also hope the funeral yesterday went as well as these things can xxx

The wedding on Friday went really well, my friend had a lovely day and had enough energy to spend time with everyone in the evening as well. I did well with my food - I didn't get round to eating a lunchtime as I took the kids out to softplay as soon as I got home from work and then by the time I'd got home and given them dinner I only had time to drink my soup before shooting out to the wedding!

I did good though, the buffet was mainly party food - there were breaded salmon on sticks so I had one of those and peeled the breading off, I had another kebab type thing which looked ok and then some grapes and a couple of sticks of celery from the cheese board!! I was pretty hungry though when I got home so I had a nice salad with a tablespoon of cottage cheese which was just what the doctor ordered!!!

I suddenly realised on Saturday when I looked at my books more closely that I've been eating "Sweet" chilli sauce on my salads when it just says "chilli sauce" in the book - woops!! I had a google and it seems sweet chilli sauce isn't allowed so I'll double check with my counsellor tomorrow but for now I've stopped having it - I'm gutted as I adore the stuff!!!

Re the bars, I've been having porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and a bar at 5pm on the train home before now, so now I've gone down to just 2 foodpacks the only one I can see to drop is the bar - if I were to drop the soup or the porridge I wouldn't feel like I would be getting a proper 'meal' at breakfast or lunch! Its just my weird way of thinking!!! When I go up to 2 meals a day I'll probably replace my lunchtime soup with a meal and then reintroduce the bars at 5pm - very roundabout thinking but I know what I mean!!!!

I didn't get to my pop in on Sunday as we went to friends but I'm feeling positive about my meeting this week - I don't feel any bigger and everything still fits so here's hoping that 5lb was just a fluke and has gone on its merry way again.........

Laura x

I'm sure whatever the 5lbs was it wasn't fat gain anyway so I wouldn't worry.

The funeral went ok it was very sad but a lovely service and it was good to catch up with my family again.

I did make an adult decision on Sunday to have something from the buffet instead of taking something with me as I didn't want to take anything away from my family and the day. I had 2 small triangle sandwich with ham in wholemeal bread and 4 or 5 crisps. I haven't gained any weight but if I did that would have been ok with me. I could have done much worse, I could have had the vol-au-vents, salted peanuts, sausage rolls and victoria sponge but I wasn't tempted so just didn't.

It was the first time I went off plan but I didn't feel guilty during or after as it wasn't spur of the moment and I had planned it. I have gone back to plan now and I wont break it again.

I started week 7 today so next Tuesday will be the first day of my first trigger week. It's a scary thought but I feel ready to take the step. I have realised now that I wont go mad with food even when faced with the most emotional times. I'm not perfect and I know there will be times when I slip up but it will be ok. There will be times when I go out for a meal and have some chips or times when I have a takeaway or some icecream, but they will be the minority and not the majority.

I hope you had a fab weekend?

I'm glad it went well for you GTISP, and it sounds like you have your head in a really good place with regards to your eating going forward!

I think in theory I have got it sussed, like you, that its about moderation and being able to control the slips (I'm not sure what to call them as 'slips/lapses' sounds wrong when they're planned, and 'treats' seems wrong too as it goes back to rewarding....) without them sprialling out of control!

I went for another run/walk last night (I'm doing a Couch to 5k programme - I'm on week 2) which I really enjoyed but its left me feeling shattered and rather weak today - I'm not sure whether I'm overdoing it a little bit when I'm still on quite low calories - I'll speak to my counsellor about it tonight I think...

At the moment, last day of Week 3, I'm currently eating:

Breakfast: Porridge and a small bowl of fruit (raspberries/blueberries/grapes) with a tablespoon of low fat natural yoghurt

Lunch: Veg soup, sml portion of raw veg (mangetout, cucumber, mushrooms, red pepper, celery) with home made dip (low fat yoghurt with spices)

Afternoon snack: Sml portion of fruit (grapes/blueberries)

Dinner: Protein and salad

Evening snack: Fruit (same as breakfast)

Does this seem about right or too much fruit?!? I'm really paranoid about eating too much!!!

Laura x

I have 3/4 portions of fruit a day, apple 1 portion, necturine one portion, 10 cherries 1 portion, 2 satsumas 1 portion and so on so I think yours sound fine...it hasn't made me gain any weight.

Bananas are a no no for me though, I had 3 small bananas over 3 days (100g one a day) and they made me gain 1lb, as soon as I cut them out I lost that 1lb only a day later. Shame as I do like bananas but not that much...

I have upped my calories to 1000 now as I am on week 7 (still a bit behind but am trying harder now).

breakfast: an apple ans satsuma as soon as I get to work.

lunch: veg cuppa soup (a bachelors one not a pack, it's quite weird as I used to hate cuppa soups and didn't like the LL ones but I love these)

snack: apple and some raisins

dinner: protein and salad, yogurt and some fruit for dessert

supper: LL bar

I still struggle to fit in my other LL pack but do try

well I went to WI last night and I've lost another 2lbs this week so the planned lapse off plan was ok for my weight as well as ok for my head.

I've lost about 6kg on RTM and am now on week 7 so I can afford to gain a few lb's on trigger weeks. Hopefully I wont gain much as I had to stop abstinance 3 weeks early because of medical problems so wanted to lose a bit more but didn't expect to lose this much on RTM and my size 12 jeans are now getting loose and I love being a 12 (I have a curvy hourglass shape with 32FF boobs and a shapely bum so don't really want to go below a 12 as I am only 5ft so then start to look very very disproportioned and rather fake).

Well done honey, thats a really great loss on RTM and it sounds like you've found your "happy size"!!!

I had my WI as well and I lost 3lbs this week - I had a good chat with my counsellor/the group and I think my downfall was the Sweet Chilli Sauce - I did eat rather a lot of it in my second week and also last week until I realised it wasn't allowed!!!

I'm also at the stage where my size 12s are getting lose and I've got a few size 10s in my wardrobe which are a perfect fit - I honestly NEVER thought I could be this size but I love it and am determined that this is how it will stay!!

We're out for the day on Saturday (without kids - YAY!) for my friend's husband's 40th birthday - its a day at Lingfield Races in a private box and there will be lots of drinking and a big buffet. I only realised last night that I need to make a plan so that's what I'm going to be thinking about today!

I normally have a soup pack at lunchtime but I swapped one for a bar this week so that I can take that with me and then just have the 'good' options from the buffet - I'm going to allow myself a few drinks though!

Have you got anything fun planned this weekend?

ooo sounds like a fab Saturday!

There is a new bar out at the end of January that is supposedly amazing so I am looking forward to trying that, I love my bars and will miss them when I'm done but I can't justify paying £2.50 per bar when I wont need them.

Don't go mad on the alcohol as a lady in our group drank 4 glasses of wine on Christmas day and gained 3lbs (the 3 pieces of chocolate orange she had probably didn't help either ha ha). I have had vodka and 100% orange juice though and it hasn't made me gain so I suppose it depends on what you pick to drink.

My plans for this weekend is to have some friends round Friday night to plan my hen night. Saturday day we are taking the dogs out and then going for a meal Saturday evening - it is so good to be able to go out for a meal and pick sensible options but not feel like a spare part chomping on a bar ha ha. Sunday is going to be my chill out day and I don't want to do anything at all....

Back