Am I really a size 18-20? :(

Went out shopping today to get some new clothes as my current size 16 jeans were getting tight/hard to do up :(

I went in Primark and bought some size 18 jeans, got them home to try on and was hoping to find they would be a nice, slightly loose fit. How wrong was I, they are still quite tight!

I never dreamed I would be at the size 20 mark at just under 13 stone! Could there be something wrong with Primarks sizing, has anyone experienced this? Or am I just deluding myself?

Don't panic primark jeans i find are rediculously small, i can wear a size 14 in next, 16 in dorothy perkins and 18 in primark.

I was gonna say that didn't sound right. I'm an 18-20 at 5ft4 but I'm 14 st 4lb!

I work in fashion retail, so I often see this happen to people :) I usually go by asda value jeans.

I had a similar experience last week, am a size 12 in jeans and 14 in everything else. But got my summer skirts out and there was one from primark that only just fitted and that was a size 16. There tops seem to be nicely sized though.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I can't fit into Primark jeans but take a 16 in New look. Over the last 10 years ive found Primark are the worse low end fashion shop for clothes sizing.

I hate shopping in Primark becauses the sizes come up really small on me - it's definitely not just you!

I'm another ex-primark fan. When I was a 12/14 I was happy to buy from Primark but now as a size 18 I find that nothing in there fits me now unless its a baggy, loose bottomed top.

The tops there have always been reasonable and they now go up to a size 20 on certain things. I tend to stick to asda for trousers as i shrink as i know they fit and there good quality and not overly expensive

In my profile picture I weigh about 11 stone. And I'm 5 foot 6. half a stone away from a BMI of 25.

In that picture Im wearing a size 14 from Primark. The sizes are all skewed. Even the same garment in the same size will have a slightly different fit in Primark due to the manufacturing. Don't worry!

Go with what feels good and looks good, sizes are immaterial and not what makes you "healthy" or slim.

Lexie_dog said:
In my profile picture I weigh about 11 stone. And I'm 5 foot 6. half a stone away from a BMI of 25.

In that picture Im wearing a size 14 from Primark. The sizes are all skewed. Even the same garment in the same size will have a slightly different fit in Primark due to the manufacturing. Don't worry!

Go with what feels good and looks good, sizes are immaterial and not what makes you "healthy" or slim.

Exactly! If you like it wear it and cut the damn label out! lol you know what the scales say, how you feel and how you look. The number of the label doesn't really matter (although it's great to say you a size whatever) what matters is it fits right. If your a size 12 and squeeze into a 10 you'll end up looking a size 14 as it will cling and bulge in all the wrong places.
The cheaper the clothes the smaller the cut as they skimp on fabric to make it cheaper x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Primark definitely have weird sizing. I would say I'm a size 18 in most shops, but in Primark I have bought clothes from sizes 8 to 20 that all fitted! I thought the size 8 top was an 18 when trying it on, but when I got it home I saw it actually said 8! It really does fit well though! How amazing it would be if I really were a size 8!

In my favourite brand, Hell Bunny I had to buy a Large the other day, (I'm now a 12 generally). I still bought it, but I don't like seeing that label!! Chin up - it's just a mad sizing world out there!! xx

I agree with everyone else, their sizings are all over the place! I think it's important to try and know your size by eye. I usually hold up the clothes which fit me and try to visualise them when I go shopping, then you can instantly pick up a pair of jeans and think 'they're too small on the thigh' etc... I find by doing this I rarely go into the changing room with something that won't fit.

I don't go in primark for these reasons!

My sister is about 12 she has to take an 18 at times in primark and other times a 14 it's so hit and miss!

Primark sizes are very odd and not to be trusted. When I was almost an 18 I bought a jacket there and the label said 10 and it was loose! Don't worry about it, I think because it's so cheap maybe they skimp a bit of paying the people who check the right labels are in the right clothes!

Back