Puddings Amazing Lemon Cake

Just made this and it's amazingly good!!

I bet it would work well with some almond extract in it or how about some coconut. How many syns is in some dessicated coconut?

I was thinking almond essence/extract would be nice too. I might try it with that next time! Maybe almond essence (syn free) & lemon extract?

Not sure about coconut off the top of my head!

Success!! I've had a couple of goes at this but have finally got it right :D Made the chocolate version, added 2 tbps of water to the batter before adding the egg whites just to loosen it a bit and it's the best one texture wise I've had so far, much lighter and more like a brownie (if only it had the extra chocolate and nuts in it!)...

Now, how to stop myself scoffing the whole lot in one hit!!

im so gutted.not sure where i went wrong cause im normally good at baking cakes and things.but mine turned out like a big omelette.the only nice thing was the lemon curd.had a small slice with lemon curd which was prob 2 syns and what a waste.i acutally feel kinda sick now.so has anyone else ever made a total mess of this and knows how to fix it??

Hmmm...not sure what happened littlehobbit. I've never had mine taste like an omelette before. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Did it fill the cake tin when you poured the batter in? Stupid question, but did you use self rising flour? And whisk the egg whites until stiff?

I have to say my first couple of attempts were not great! I now add 1-2 tbsp of water to the egg yolk mixture to make the consistency looser, then I sieve in the flour (or flour/cocoa powder mix), mix that in fully before whisking in the egg whites about a quarter of the egg white mixture at a time and then giving it all a really good whisk up before it goes in the tin. I knew I'd got it right because it had risen loads in the first five minutes and that had never happened before!

Give it another go little hobbit, double check you had the right measurements and as Stacey said check you are using the right flour. It's worth it in the end!

iv sat with the recipe and gone through where i could of gone wrong.im pretty sure i didnt put enough flour in when i think about it.i was multitasking helping mum and brother while adding the flour so i think i must of messed it up.i was so gutted cause it looked so good on the outside.bt the inside was jst egg!!

il give it another go when i can afford a few more eggs haha.

I think I know what's been going wrong! Last night I made the cake again and used lemon extract. The cake turned out crap (again). the only common denominator was that I used Tesco artificial sweetener instead of Splenda the past two times I've made it and both times it's tasted eggy and not right and the texture was off and I had to bake it longer. Even hubby agreed it was blah.

Soooo...I think Splenda is the key! Am going to try making it again in a few days, this time using Splenda, and hopefully it will be lovely again!

I'ver just made this cake but using lemon flavouring and topped with 4tsp lemon curd (1/2 syn per tsp of the one i used) mixed with 1/2 pot of quark and 1tbsp of splenda. I'm counting it as 1.5 syns per slice. It is lush, thanks Stacey x x

mmm ill try this, also i might grate an orange and put a small amount of chocolate powder in as im not a fan of lemon.... i love low calorie cakes tho!!

I forgot about orange zest, will use that next time....I've made the choccy cake for taster tonight, cut into 0.5 syn pieces..typically it didn't rise as much as the last one, pah! Hopefully that won't put people off!

I made my choccy version using 2 scahets of highlights chocolate and no vanilla as I hadn't got any to hand. Instead of whisking the egg whites in I gently folded them (otherwise you are knocking all of the air that you have spent time putting into them out) in after adding a couple of spoonfulls of eggwhite to the egg yolk mixture first to loosen it. (learnt that at college).

I have to say that as daft as it sounds, it tasted so light and airy that it was like eating a nice fluffy choccy cloud ! Absolutely delish

i am going to make this cake right now it sounds lovely, lemon cake is one of my favourites. where would i find the syn free recipie for lemon curd please?

Here ya go!

3 tbsp of canderel
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
2oz very low fat fromage frais

Whisk lemon juice and eggs together,add rind and sweeetner, place in bowl over saucepan of simmering water, stir until thickened.
Remove from heat and whisk in fromage frais until smooth.
Pour into a jar and keep cool.

Back