Ambulances, doctors & CD

AlexIce

Silver Member
Woke up this morning at 5am with a headache after two days ill with flu. At 6:45 I eventually decided to get up and go to the kitchen and read medicine instructions to see what I could take. While reading the instructions, my vision went all dark and the next thing I knew I was waking up flat out on the floor. I thought I was still in bed at first and that the bed had got cold then I realised it was the cold kitchen floor tiles. I must have fainted and then knocked myself out when I fell as I was out for about 15 minutes.

It took me ages to get to the stage where I could get off the floor and get to the phone to call my friend who lives just round the corner and is a doctor. She and her husband took me to the surgery where the duty doctor decided I needed to go to hospital so I was loaded onto an ambulance - my first trip in an ambulance - I had always wondered what it would be like and now I know, I don't like it.

When we got to the hospital they xrayed me to see if I had broken my tail bone and when I told them about the diet I was doing they were very alarmed and said these low cal diets were very bad and they would have to do a complete blood analysis cos my body would be lacking in all sorts of things. I tried to tell them CD was very complete and that I was fine in that dept. but of course they didn't listen.

An hour later the results of the blood test came back and they had to eat their words cos all my levels of everything were perfectly normal and they couldn't fault a single thing. They sent me home with pain killers for my backside, and the huge cartoon type lump on my head and the advice to carry on with the diet but to eat something extra today just to give my system a bit of a boost. (my friend made me some chicken soup with a little pasta)

Comedy result - as I still have flu, every time I cough the muscle spasms hurt my bum so every time I cough I grab my bum!

CD result - more doctors converted to the attitude that not all vlc diets are evil!

Hurray for CD

Dear alexice

Have sent you a private message but don't quite trust my IT skills!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, you really have been through a lot today, please keep us informed how you are getting on.

Just noticed that your BMI will soon be in the 30's - this diet does make our dreams come true - its the blooming obstacles that get in the way (like ambulances, hospitals etc!) x

Just sending a hug Alex, sounds very scary but glad you are OK and that things worked out. Take care and be better soon.

xxx

The low amount of calories does make a difference if you have anything like low blood pressure - you are tall like me, and I sometimes used to have to bend over when I stood up too quickly to get the blood back to my head. Add to that the fact you have flu at the moment and it may be that your body needs a bit longer to cope with everything than usual. Hope you feel better soon

I can identify with you but my episode wasn't as bad as yours, just last week my daughter was ill and shouted me to go into her room i got up out of bed really quickly and went into her room when i got to the doorway i fainted and came crashing down with a bang i ended up scraping my bum on the corner of the unit which resulted in a massive bruise and a large cut. My other half came running picked me up and helped me back into bed. Note to self don't get up so bloody quick! It scared my 5yr old something rotten.

I agree with the above it was probably due to the fact that you're under the weather, i'm sorry you had a scary time of it but its nice to know that all your blood results are normal and nice to know you have such good friends who come when you need them :)

aww alex (((H)))

glad your ok and your tests all came back perfectly fine
when im ill i have a couple days of ss+/810 to give my body a little extra to fight with
i find i get headaches why my blood sugar is dipping so i grab a shake, i know from previous experience if i leave it too long i go crashing to the floor
please take it easy hun till your over the illness

Hope that you are tucked up in bed resting rather than reading minimins at present, ha ha!

I can remember that something similar happened to a CD minimin'er that used to post here when I first joined the site. I can't remember if it turned out to be related to low blood sugars/low blood pressure.

Hopefully you are not teaching tommorow (I recall that you are usually out and about on Sundays) and it is good that you have great friends around you, including those with medical training that will be able to give you honest advice when to return to work.
Off to start the daily thread, yippee! x

Alex what a palaver honey you poor thing being fluey in the first place and then to go and pass out. Hope you bum is not too sore and you make a full and speedy recovery really soon.

Muchas Lovas xx

HI Alexice, hope your feeling better, that must have been very scary. Take care of yourself and get well soon xx.

Going to be devils advocate here, (please don't bite my head off!) but...... I don't think you can rule out that this is unrelated to CD. Ultimately we are taking minimal amounts in energy, and whilst ketosis makes up the deficit, i do believe their are times when your body may stuggle abit, low blood sugers and the like. This is why after all, we are told to limit exercise when ss'ing.
Since doing SS this has happened to me quite a few times. Always been probably when i haven't had a shake or anythig for a while, and have been generally busy. Often when i have been bending down, (so could be a bit of mild postural hypotension?). Vision goes dark, head goes fuzzy and i feel light headed like i will pass out. I always just sit immediately, have a drink and a shake/bar... it soon passes. Being physically ill anyway is bound to impact also.
That all said, i still love CD and wouldn't hear a bad word said about it- but it is a reminder that we just need to care for ourselves a bit. (or get someone else to for a while:D)Hope you feel better today xx

Hi Alex, hope you are resting and chilling out , so sorry to hear about your fall, but loved your blood test story, I think we are all very defensive about our beloved cd. x

Have rigged up my little netbook to use in bed lying on my tummy - still can't sit at all.
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone and that your well wishes helped me feel better - I read them while lying on my side on my iphone as I haven't been able to sit to use th elaptop at all.
I shall update when i am more capable of being upright.

heartfelt thanks for all the support!

You poor thing as everyone as already said there are lots of things that can cause it. I have always had probs with low blood pressure so I used to pass out all the time when I got up too quick and when I was ill would happen more. The good thing is that due to CD you test were fine, you can always have another shake, soup or bar to help when your feeling under the weather. Well rest up and take care hope you feel better soon xxx

Back