American Style Pancakes!

StaceyUK

Gold Member
These are surprisingly good and with a little pat of margarine & maple syrup (count the syns! Maple syrup: 1 tbsp = 2 syns) they are very passable as proper pancakes. You have to like sweet potatoes though! These would also be great with some fresh fruit on top and sweetened yogurt poured over for breakfast with a twist!

Makes 6 pancakes
2 pancakes = 1 HEX B and 1/2 syn

Ingredients:

225g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
84g oats
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp honey (optional - I tried with and without and both were good!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pot Vanilla Muller Light
2 tbsp Splenda

1) Put the sweet potato in a microwaveable bowl. Add about 2 tbsp water, cover and microwave for 5-6 mins until tender.

2) Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz. If the mixture is too thick, add a little milk or water but it should be quite thick, though pourable.

3) Heat a non stick frying pan sprayed with butter Frylight and spoon batter onto it (I used a 1/4 cup sized measuring cup to measure out the batter - this made about 6.5 pancakes). Cook for 3 mins on each side or until golden.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.JPG
    IMG_5486.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,176
Last edited:
Reactions: CEB
Must say that these look great although I'm still trying to get my head around the sweet potato pancake idea :D

I do wonder though whether SW would say you need to count the oats as syns rather than as a HEB because they are being ground to flour. Even then they would be quite reasonable syn-wise.

Will give them a try at the weekend :)

I wondered this too but I think you can get it around it by either not grinding the oats first (to be honest, I blitzed them in the food processor and they didn't grind that much) or use those new Paw Ridge oats that are smoother.

Next time I make them I probably won't bother with doing the oats first as I don't think it made a huge difference.

Just had 2 for breakfast warmed with fresh blueberries & raspberries and vanilla Mullerlight drizzled over! :drool:

Oh lord - stop it, you're making me hungry! Food p*rn :D Sod it I'm not going to wait until the weekend - I'm having them tonight!

Well I had a bash and promptly remembered that I'm hopeless at making pancakes :D

They didn't look as good as yours Stacey but they did taste absolutely scrummy. I used a sachet of oatso simple golden syrup flavour and needed to add some more sweetener. If I can perfect the technique I'll def be having them again.

Thanks for the recipe - I'm a convert!

First time I've ever been called that :D
I think it's a temperature thing - you know when you make ordinary pancakes the first one out of pan is aways 'blotchy'? Well all mine were like that and not even in colour. :confused:

Thanks for this recipe Stacey they sound yummy, I'm gonna have a go at making the pancakes. I love sweet potatoes so its good to find different ways to use them in cooking.

American style pancakes

Stacey where did you get the recipe or did you think it up yourself? 10 out of 10 they sounded yummy and tasted yummy. I had mine with granulated sweetener and fresh lemon juice this lunch time I couldn't wait for pancake day :bliss:

Thank you sooo much Stacey!! I have made the batter, and am now off to choir practice so will have to wait until 9pm ish for the verdict!! Bought some maple syrup today especially for the occasion and am very very excited (of course I'd be lying if I told you I haven't tasted the batter already!! Nom nom!!!)X

I had these twice on Pancake day - they are yummy!

I reduced the recipe down into 1HEB per portion plus 1/2 syn and the second batch I made were more like scotch pancakes and I got 10 out of it, they are gorgeous so will definitely be on my list to make again! And the good thing is I found sweet potatoes for £1 in sainsburys so a bargain too!

When I made them last, I omited the honey and they were fine so you can definitely just use your HEX B for them and scrap the honey - or save it to drizzle over the top with some sliced banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg?

I made these last night too and they were great!!
I left out the honey to save on syns and had already used my hexbs throughout the day so used wholemeal flour instead of the oats and synned it.
I did ruin the first batch though when I fried them in caesar saladlight instead of frylight!!! My hubby had put the salaldlight away in the cupboard (it's normally kept in the fridge) so I mixed the 2 up!!!
I have a bit of a cold so can't smell very well at the moment, so it was only when my son came into the kitchen and started complaining about the terrible smell that I realised what I had done!!!!!!! What a wally!!!
The 2nd batch (after the frying pan has been washed out!)were absolutely delicious though and I'd highly recommend serving them with maple syrup - a perfect combination!

Back