Anchoring emotion - coping with negative feelings

toller-girl

constantly confused
This is a trick I learned for something else that wasn't weight related, but found it really useful.

Whenever you have a good feeling, like a compliment, or fitting into something you didn't think you could wear, or seeing a reflection and not recognising yourself etc, anchor that feeling by doing something like squeezing your thumb. As you're squeezing the thumb, concentrate on the positive emotion and feeling good.

What will eventually happen, is that your brain will link the positive, optimistic emotions with the physical sensation of having your thumb squeezed.

Then, when you have moments of weakness and feel tempted or low, squeezing your thumb will trigger all those positive feelings before, and give you a bit more strength and inspiration to deal with it.

I dunno if that's useful to anyone or not, just thought I'd mention it :)

and it works --- I know someone that does this and they recommended it to me before I went for an interview - it works really grounded me and got my positivity flowing.

I think that is a fab idea, will definitely be doing that next time I wonder who the hot chick in the mirror is :eek:

Paul McKenna uses this technique when he hypnotises people. :)

Back