Ancient Egypt!!

Isis

Ancient Egypt Nut!
I don't know why it's taken me so long to get my bum on hobbies and open a thread about anything to do with Ancient Egypt!!!:rolleyes:

I am fascinated by anything to do with it and have been since I was 8. Been to Egypt once in 2002 and it was awesome. 300% better than any documentary or pictures.

I hope I find some like-minded souls to chat to:D
(Loopy, I hope you show your face on here girl!!..LOL)

Lacey.....x

I don't know why it's taken me so long to get my bum on hobbies and open a thread about anything to do with Ancient Egypt!!!:rolleyes:

I am fascinated by anything to do with it and have been since I was 8. Been to Egypt once in 2002 and it was awesome. 300% better than any documentary or pictures.

I hope I find some like-minded souls to chat to:D
(Loopy, I hope you show your face on here girl!!..LOL)

Lacey.....x

I'm here!!!! lol

I knew you would come a running!!!:D

Dashing off to work now hun, but yes, definitely bring the books with you. Which 3 have you got? I'm just finishing The LAdy of Abu Simbel.

CAtch u later Amanda...xxx

I knew you would come a running!!!:D

Dashing off to work now hun, but yes, definitely bring the books with you. Which 3 have you got? I'm just finishing The LAdy of Abu Simbel.

CAtch u later Amanda...xxx

Hiya Lacey!!

River God
Warlock
and Seventh Scroll
all by Wilbur Smith

They're addictive and I know you'll love them. I read them about ywice a year!!
The 1st time I read them I got to the end of Seventh Scroll and went straight back onto River God......now I leave a few months in between..lol

Bring me your favs...and will definatly let you have them back next time (Hinting there cos I'll want mine back...lol)

Amanda
xx

Another Egypt fanatic here isis :) We've been twice now and absolutely love it........will definitely go back again, there's just sooo much to see.

Hard to pick favourites, but it has to be Abu Simbel. Mr.D and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversay watching the sunrise there - for me one of the most magical romantic places in the world :D

Oh Demon, I am so chuffed you are a fan as well. :)

You brought back such memories for me, reading your post. I am with you girl on Abu Simbel. I remember paying about £130 to get up at 3am in Luxor and fly there.

I too, sat on the bench in front of the temple and watched the sunrise and turn the stone an amazing colour. It was absolutely breathtaking.:eek:
There must have been 300 people there and you could have heard a pin drop. No one spoke a word, we just gazed in awe.

I tried to imagine what the temples must have looked like in Ramsses II reign when they would have been coloured and had gold on them and flowers and offerings to the God's everywhere. I sat outside for nearly an hour just taking it all in. I saved myself for the moment when I would go inside and see all the chambers and hieroglyphs on the walls.

See, once I start about this subject Demon, you have to chop my fingers off to stop me typing!!!:p

All i can say is that we know Ramsses II built more temples than any other pharaoh, but oh boy did he really love his favourite wife, Neferatari!! Look at the size of the temple he built for her right next to his.

I'm going to stop for now or D_Q will be sending the men in white coats round!!! I'm not joking:D

Well Im not so well informed with all the history, but I do share a love of Egypt.

I have family ties there, and visited for the first time last October.

My Grandad was posted out there in the war, where he met my Italian Nan, who was living there at the time with her rich wine merchant parents.
They lived in Cairo for some years, had 3 sons and two daughters, and unfortunately lost two children. My mum was also born out there, they came to England when she was 6wks old.

My Grandad had revisited many times over the years and always returned to the same hotel where he became one of the 'locals'. He often took english books out for some of the younger staff, to help them through school.

I went to the same hotel last October with my Grandad, and my Sister, he was treated like royalty, we were even invited to dinner at one of the girls who he had helped out, she was now married and had a son. She showed us her wedding video, where she was carried by elephant to the hotel.

We visited all the wonderful sights there, truly amazing. We also went to pay tribute at the war cemetry and the graves of my two uncles.

I would love to go again.

Mandy x

Hi Mandy and thanks for joining us.:D

You'll have to forgive me if I go into one and start rambling about all the historical bits hun:eek: ...can't help it when it comes to Ancient Egypt;)

I'm very envious of you having family ties out there and it sounds like you really enjoyed your visit. It was so touching to read about your grandad and his visits. Bet he has some stories to tell!!

There's a few of us who would love to go again and others who have never been yet. Maybe we should start planning a MiniMins trip and start a savings pot!!!!:D

Hi Peeps,

I love the storys and myths etc surrounding ancient egypt. I have never ever been to egypt itself but i love all the history so much.
I love it so much that I am actually a Pagan now which was started by my love of egypt and their belief systems.
My hubby got me a charm bracelet for my birthday and he put some egyptian charms on it a Neferatari head among them but unfortunatley it came off and is lost now :(

Hi Belly:)

lovely to see you here and what a shame about losing the Neferatari charm:(

Bet hubby get you another one if he knew you were upset about it! Would he?;)

I love it when I find out that people I have known for a while, also have an interest in the Ancient Egyptians and their whole way of life. Just great.:)

I hope we can all chat and swop stories and info about Ancient Egypt on this thread. It's something different isn't it?

Come back soon hun...glad you're feeling better and more clear-headed.:D

Gosh it's brilliant finding more people who love Egypt as much as I do...........well if that's possible........think I've probably bored friends/family/work colleagues enough over the years ;)

I grew up with tales about Egypt from my Grandfather who was based in Cairo with the army - he absolutely loved it there and would have stayed if my Grandmother had agreed - my Mother was actually born at the Citadel.

Our first trip was a package Nile cruise - only a week, but more than lived up to expectations and really whetted our appetite for more. Two years later we planned our own itinerary for a longer trip - booked it direct with an Egyptian company via e-mail - very daring for me :eek:

It was all truly wonderful. Started in Cairo, visited Giza, Saqqara, Abu Sir, Dahshur as well as the museum and of course the Citadel etc. We then flew to Aswan and stayed for a few days at The Old Cataract hotel........FANTASTIC. From there we flew to Abu Simbel as we'd booked a Lake Nassar cruise.

That really was the highlight of our trip - there were only 4 couples who got up to see the sunrise and afterwards when the others left Mr.D and I had the whole site completely to ourselves before the coaches arrived. Truly, truly magical :D :D :D :D

Now I did warn you I'm totally besotted ;)

Oooh get all you lucky devils who have visited.
I would love to go but due to the political climate most of the time I get worried so thus far have not been.
I would love to go but not sure Hubby would and wouldn't want to put us in danger.
I love reading about it though. I read a trilogy of Christian Jacques books based in ancient egypt and the Mummy by Anne Rice they were both fab.
We also saw most of a tv/film thing on Sky about finding Tuten Khamen (sp) tomb.

Hi lisa

Our first trip was in the March after 9/11 and everybody told us we were absolutely mad to be going !!! We just figured that life's short enough and with 300 boats going up and down the Nile every day without incidents we'd risk it. How glad we are that we did and of course, as you now know, we went back :)

To be honest it wouldn't have been possible without Mr.D's support.

Hi Guys,

Sorry i've not replied sooner. PC probs last night and couldn't get on the site at all.

Demon.....another Egypt nut!!:D Fantastic. I just knew it couldn't only be me on here...LOL. My next trip will definitely include the Lake Nassar Cruise as I saw some of the cruise ships moored there when I flew to Abu Simbel just for 2/3 hours.

It must be so magical and romantic and surreal to spend the night there and have the temple site virtually to yourselves. They do a Sound and Light show at night there as well, dont they? I have been to the one at Karnak Temple and that was incredible.
If you went to that you will know that they use Richard Burton and Judi Dench's voices and it's so eerie...it took me right back!!:) I was there....it felt like it was back in the time of Ramsses II.!!! Like every book I had ever read and every documentary I had ever watched had come to life.

Bellybee...you've just got to go girl!! All the cruise ship landings are gated and there are loads of tourist police always patrolling there and at every tourist site you visit. I never once felt unsafe or threatened.

Hark at me!!!...i'm off on one again. Could chat forever about this subject:D

LOL isis, was beginning to wonder if my over enthusiasm had frightened you off ;)

Seriously, you really must do Lake Nassar, it was absolutely fantastic. We were on Eugenie which was wonderful and we only shared our guide, who was excellent, with one other couple - made it extra special.

Yes we did see the Sound and Light show - it's generally acknowledged to be the best of them all - definitely agree. They're all brilliant - we've seen the one at the pyramids and karnak - but Abu Simbel.........WOW :D :D

Like you we never felt unsafe at any time, even when just the two of us were driven well out into the dessert to visit Abu Sir which actually wasn't open to the genral public at that time - they were still excavating and reconstructing.

Gosh, I'm off again................just can't stop talking about Egypt once I get started

LOL..Demon:)

I think we'll have enough chat between us about Egypt to keep the thread going, even if we bore everyone else with it!!!!

I'll be back tommorow for some more...hope to see you.:D

lacey..xxx

That all sounds fantastic, I want to go too, that is after I get to Thailand, Cuba and Machu Pichhu!

Matty

Back