And this is what we're all up against.

Russiandoll

Carpe diem
Hi Russian Doll!

I would like to hope and think that the majority of us here will probably have a better perspective on our weights and slimness etc. As all of us have been truly overweight/obese, we can appreciate what it means to eventually become healthy/slender, rather than striving to become skinny...

But you are right those articles and all the other magazines are messing with women's heads. It pisses me off and the thing that really gets my goat is that some women help promote this idea of uber skininess and make other women feel like shite - GRRRRRR!!!!!

Luv from Angry Curvy Chicken xx xx xxx

vote with your purses and feet ladies, dont buy the magazines which feature these models and pen the editor a email telling them why, also dont buy in the stores which use these models in their catalogues and stores pictures and pen the owners a email telling them why, until thye keep hearing from the people who have stopped buying stuff they wont care, while we still buy their products they think that this stuff is working as a means of getting people to buy stuff,

I wonder if men are starting to feel pressure to be ultra thin? OK nowhere near the pressure women feel and the way it is all around us but when you look at some of the male actors you see on TV (like that guy who plays the lead in Lost) they are definitely on the thin end of the normal range.

I wonder if men are starting to feel pressure to be ultra thin? OK nowhere near the pressure women feel and the way it is all around us but when you look at some of the male actors you see on TV (like that guy who plays the lead in Lost) they are definitely on the thin end of the normal range.

But that role is thin 'in context' i.e marooned on an island.
Take another 'big name' at the moment - Jack Black ... he's hardly 'svelt' but has had loads of lead roles lately.

Well, the new BBC series Robin Hood has just been on and the 2 male leads (Robin and Guy of Gisbourne) looked very svelt - Marian looked quite porky in comparison ...

Drat I killed the thread :(

I was hoping for a discussion around why we are all surrounded by images of ultra slim-and-beautiful men and women and yet if you walk round Tescos on a Saturday morning all you see are fat people in track suit bottoms.

Why is that? As a nation we have never been as obese as we are now.

You have a point there SP ... it does seem to be the case that models and actors get thinner and thinner whilst we, as a nation, get fatter.

Is it just our perception? I don't think so ... I watched an old 'carry on' film the other day and the women on there that got the 'phwoaaars' (very un-PC!) were at least a size 14 and would have been branded as 'fat' by today's standards. There doesn't seem to be a wild difference in the images women saw on the screen and the average size on the streets. The main difference that picked the actresses out as 'wow' seems to be their pretty faces, 'hoist 'em up' bras and peroxide blonde hair.

Now, as we're being shown thinner and thinner models whilst we're all getting fatter, we're becoming more and more alienated to what is considered 'normal' ... we simply can't attain it. Women in the 50s could emulate the 'starlet' look by simply wearing a decent 'foundation garment', whacking some peroxide on her hair and slapping on a bit of red lipstick. Nowadays, we'd have to diet ourselves down to skeletal proportions and have some cheek implants put in.

America started it all off I think (and we import so much from the US - including their increasing obesity levels). Take Baywatch. Do you know that the film crew used to go round the beach clearing all the fatties off before filming started?

It wouldn't do to show the grim reality of the fattest nation on Earth in swimwear would it? According to Baywatch, EVERYONE on America's beaches are slim, toned and beautiful. In fact, according to the vast majority of US programmes, the whole of the nation are slim, toned and beautiful (you only have to take a quick look at the audience on the Ricky Lake show to see how untrue that is)

Maybe people just don't want the horrible truth staring out at them from their TV screen - maybe that's how we escape from the reality of obesity.

wow - now I'm getting 'deep'! lol

Women in the 50s could emulate the 'starlet' look by simply wearing a decent 'foundation garment', whacking some peroxide on her hair and slapping on a bit of red lipstick. Nowadays, we'd have to diet ourselves down to skeletal proportions and have some cheek implants put in.

Debbie, have you been looking in my underwear drawer and bathroom cabinet again?! :D

I'm someone who never reads womens' magazines - not since I worked for a teenage girls' weekly mag in my late teens and saw first-hand how easily manipulated readers can be. This may not surprise you an awful lot, but the people who write these features are NOT sylph-like themselves by any means - they just write whatever they think is necessary to shift as many copies as possible .. and, at the moment, the 'size zero' phenomenon is big news!

I've also seen far more recently how air-brushing models in newspapers/magazines is now the norm. Believe me, what you see on the page is nothing like the reality of the way the model looks in real-life. Every last blemish is removed at the touch of a mouse .. even inches are instantly shaved off legs/arms/waists/hips etc. to produce the 'ideal' figure.

What ya see ain't always what ya get - and the camera definitely DOES lie! :rolleyes:

I want the same as the camera but in spectacles - and a law to be passed that says everyone has to wear them when they look at me!!!!:D

I want the same as the camera but in spectacles - and a law to be passed that says everyone has to wear them when they look at me!!!!:D

LMAO!!

Back