Andy's "to be a thin dad" diary

SerenityValley said:
Thank you hon :)

Day 3 has been good. I've still been hungry but much better. Weight is whooshing off nicely (6.6 in 2 days)

Difficult day in other ways, have had to have a pet rat's arm amputated today. He's doing fab but it's hard to look after a front leg amputation in rats.

However, I'm in good spirits and frame of mind. Only 19 days to go till my birthday and a minor break :)

Poor ratty! My daughter had 2 and loved them to bits..

Only 19 days and a birthday treat! That sounds good.. I am not sure if I want to be good or bad on mine!

Glad to hear you are enjoying a whoosh!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi Andy
Well I think you have to take credit for the incredible amount of weight you have lost so far . And ok you went on holiday but your back to finish what you started . I have been really pushing to lose the rest of my weight and sometimes forget how far I ve come . You will be a slim and healthy dad for your new baby :)
Am on day 10 today of s & s am taking it day by day sometimes Hour by hour
We can do this x

SerenityValley said:
I've been here years, and I've done every diet under the sun. Just this year, I've done calorie counting, Exante and Slim and Save. The latter two I'm still doing, until my exante packs have finished then I'll be on s&s only.

I've probably been dieting for 25 years and am very close to turning 40 (July).. I got married last May, and we are now expecting our first child in November. I so desperately want to be a thin dad, so my kids don't miss out like I did, and I'm using it as my main motivation for completing this next stage of my journey.

Vlcd is the only way I've ever lost a significant amount of weight - I have lost as much as 154lbs in the past, and currently am around 97lbs down. I intend being slim by November and staying there.

I'm having to give up a lot, and I don't just mean food. No special celebration for my wedding anniversary (the oh understands), and no 40th birthday celebration. But there is so much more to gain.

Will try to keep this diary going, before during and after. I intend calorie counting when I'm finished, as it helps me control my weight very well.

Thanks for reading :)

Sounds like you've done fantastically well so far im sure you will continue the good work :)

First baby !! Congrats bet your looking forward to that very much so ..... A great motivator to keep you on track x

Something I wrote years ago and posted in a couple of places. Setting I think I need to remember for myself.

I need to read this often. I'm fat Andy again.

Hi andy, i remember you from years ago and i remember this post, i commented at the time.
I just wanted to tell you that your words have always stayed with me, motivating me on and remi ding me in the back of my head what reality is.
Infact when i embarked on my sands quest this time i thought about you and these very words and once again was motivated by your very true and extremely perceptive words. So thankyou ,im pretty sure im not alone in the people you touched with this, so be very proud and keep on :)

Thank you all, lovely ladies.

Day 6 on slim and save and firmly in ketosis. The whoosh has stopped just shy of my gain, and I'm in normal loss mode (0.5 to 1 per day).

Feeling pretty good. Hoping for another 10lbs between now and July 2nd (my break day, for my 40th birthday).

I've been doing the men's plan (4packs plus veg and protein). I'm overdoing it slightly on protein, deliberately. I find it helps me stay satisfied, gives me something to look forward to (tonight I'll dry fry some turkey breast in whatever spices I fancy) and gives me a higher protein percentage (I just wish I could lower my carbs a bit - except for having smaller number of packs).

That said, I may go back to 3 packs plus the same extras, which is how I did it before but will see. If the weight loss is comparable to last time I'll probably stick as I am.

I'm bound to have hard times, and wobbles, but I'm determined that I will get to at least 14st this time (am currently 15st 10lbs).

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with spices and loving the results. I can only cook a little but I'm determined to learn and build my confidence up when I'm done. With the little one due in November, I want to be able to cook so that it takes any cooking pressure off the mrs, and also just to be doing the right thing food wise.

Normally I only have one actual meal a day but as its the mrs weekend at work, and I'm prone to boredom, I decided to have 2. (I have a shake for brekkie, normally have a bar for lunch but this meant it could be my Saturday night treat).

For lunch, I dry fried some leeks and cabbage with paprika. I added several spices to my chilli (asaefotida, chilli, cayenne, marjoram, curry powder, turmeric, and Garam masala). Probably over the top but it was lovely and a good start to experimenting.

For dinner I par boiled some cauli then covered it in a dry mustard "zinger" I have from a trip to Canada. I then dry fried the cauli. I also added some to my macaroni cheese. All in all a yummy spicy macaroni cheese.

For supper, I dry fried about 120g of turkey, again with the zinger. Yummy.

I only have seven meals left, so after that I'll be a bit stumped - my chicken or turkey will become my main meal instead (it's been my evening treat). I have 15 days worth of packs left, which is handy as I have 15 days till my one day break. I'll then use my spare exante packs while I order some new slim and save packs (waiting for my favourites to come back into stock). Timing wise it all fits in with my expectations of another 7 or 8 weeks on the plan.

My next experiment will be with herbs and a spag Bol with cabbage and leek.

Still feeling very good, though I have been unable to visit the little boys room for a few days now. I used senakot yesterday and nothing yet. I suspect I shall take more tonight.

I'm going to try to put the scales away tomorrow, after my official weigh in, as I want to try to break the cycle of the daily weigh in. Its ok during the first week on a vlcd, but it's silly during a more normal week, where it will fluctuate. We shall see.

Anyway, 14 days to go after today - I toyed with the idea of not breaking for my 40th but I'd rather decide to do it, and then not feel any guilt. I will feel plenty of guilt if I was to make a late decision to break.

Hopefully I can stop obsessing this week (I obsess over food and progress, and weight loss. Definitely affects my work sometimes).

SerenityValley said:
Still feeling very good, though I have been unable to visit the little boys room for a few days now. I used senakot yesterday and nothing yet. I suspect I shall take more tonight.

I'm going to try to put the scales away tomorrow, after my official weigh in, as I want to try to break the cycle of the daily weigh in. Its ok during the first week on a vlcd, but it's silly during a more normal week, where it will fluctuate. We shall see.

Anyway, 14 days to go after today - I toyed with the idea of not breaking for my 40th but I'd rather decide to do it, and then not feel any guilt. I will feel plenty of guilt if I was to make a late decision to break.

Hopefully I can stop obsessing this week (I obsess over food and progress, and weight loss. Definitely affects my work sometimes).

Hi, I was having a quick read, I made the decision to take the day off for my birthday, and once that stress was off then it was soo much easier!
I didn't go daft, had a nice time and got back on the horse so to speak!
As long as its a planned break, and you are not giving yourself the excuse to do it more often then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Good luck with the senakot! Lol. I know how you feel!

Yeah, it's only because it's my 40th (July 2nd). I will be back on on July 3rd.

However....

I'll be off again on July 16th for 2, possibly 3 days as I'm away with work, supporting a major release. I know I won't stay on it, even if I try. I've been on that particular site, with the same people and there's no way I'll do it. I was also due to go away on the 9th for 2 days but I've managed to persuade them that I'm not needed. Was quite the relief. Tried to get out of the 16th trip but they weren't having any of it.

But I'll be back on on either the 18th or 19th (depending on whether we come home on the 17th or 18th), and I'll be on it until August 6th (Week off work). By then, I hope to be finished completely - however when that is over, if I am not finished, or need to, I have 3 weeks of exante packs that I could use.

In the past, a break meant I gave up entirely. I'd try to go through everything but then if I failed, I didn't even try to get back on. I have successfully missed a xmas day, and an easter sunday (my 2 favourite meals!) and while both were miserable days, I'd never be able to do it again.

Edit:

It probably sounds like I'm just making excuses to get breaks, but I'm as determined as I have ever been to get my weight down to a place where I am happy. I'm willing for it to take longer if needs be.

No time for a big update but end of week 1 and I've lost 12.6lbs! Obviously bare in mind that I gained 11.4 in the 10 days prior but it's a fantastic result. I'm aiming for 8 more pounds by July 2nd.

Onwards and downwards!

That's brilliant we'll done Andy x

Good for you! Keep it up!

SerenityValley said:
No time for a big update but end of week 1 and I've lost 12.6lbs!

Onwards and downwards!

Just came across ur diary! Well done hun :)

Giving this another go. Ten weeks between now and my son being born, so going to try to set myself a 10 week challenge. Next challenge is to use this diary thread lol.

Most of the way through day 2. Hungry but ok. Have a truffa bar and a chicken breast left, and am saving them as long as I can.

My thoughts for the day. I am utterly miserable about my weight and size. I have so many clothes I can't wear, and I am fed up of feeling bloated.

However. I am happy that I can maintain my weight now; so I just need to do it at a lower weight.

Have told the Mrs that I'm aiming for 13 and a half stone. She says she prefers me at 14st but even at that weight, I'm only a hop, skip and a jump from being unhappy with my weight.

Day 3 going ok, though been quite hungry and had more than a few feelings about quitting or eating but have managed to plough through these. I am looking at challenging those feelings and working past them, as I know from experience if I don't, I fall apart. No imminent concerns here, just need to be uber aware of those thoughts.

My thought for the day: If I eat off plan, I will only feel worse than I do.

Goal of the day - i am down to 16st 6lb, meaning I have lost exactly 100lbs in total (albeit I'm 54lbs heavier than I have been!)

We had a baby scan today - looks like we may not get the elective caserean when we wanted it - may be an extra week on the diet lol

11/08/2012235Date metTrousers 42"Date met
Target weight230100lbs total loss13/08/2012Target size40"
2257.5st38"
223Under 16st36"
220110lbs lost
2188stShirt 17.5"
217Lightest I've been this year.Target size17"
216Under 15.5 stone16.5"
2118.5st
210120lbs lost
209Under 15st
208Lightest I've been since October 2010
2049st
202Under 14.5 stone
200130lbs lost
195Under 14st
194Lightest I've been since September 2010
19010st / 140lbs lost
188Under 13.5 stone

And I'm in ketosis :) Feel a little lovely at the moment - I hate the fight to get past the hunger.

My thought for the day: I need to focus on is celebrating all the positives, and rejecting any feelings of deprivation. It is deprivation that makes me give in - so I'm attacking that firmly head on - I'm not being deprived. If I break the diet, I am only depriving myself of a slim and happy future.

Goal for the day. Haven't reached my next one, so I'll have an extra thought for the day: If I don't lose weight, I may miss out on some life experiences with my son (to be). Wort than this, he will miss out on sharing them with his dad.

Hi andy! Your doing great :D I think I have u on mfp?
Congrats on your son arriving very soon! Is this your first?

Great news ur in ketosis :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yeah, you have me on there (andybhoy72). Wish I'd stuck with this nym for mfp too!

How you doing Stef? Yes, this is my first kid - very excited!

Back