Another Mirena coil question - sorry!

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi there,

Sorry, another question from me about the mirena coil! I've got an appointment to have mine fitted on 15th March, but I just wanted to ask anyone who has one fitted whether they've had a problem with acne since having it fitted?

I've been reading a lot about the Mirena, and a lot of people say that they've developed acne since having it put in. I've never had a problem with spots or acne, and I'm not sure I want to start having a problem now at 26! :(

If any of you lovely ladies wouldn't mind sharing your experiences I'd be grateful! :)

Sian xx

I've had one for 8 years and I've never had a problem with acne, or anything else come to that.

It really is the best contraception in my mind and I have tried them all!!! I had a normal coil before and I had quite heavy periods and bad PMT (was ready to kill anyone!) ....... I've had nothing for 8 years except the occasional breakthrough bleed that lasts about 10 seconds and it's gone. This happens about once a year I think!

Go for it, you won't regret it and if you do, just get it taken out again.

I had one fitted in 2003 and not regretted it for a moment. Of course I had/have no need of it for contraceptive reasons but in my late 30's started getting very heavy periods. Same thing happened to my mother and her mother and both had hysterectomies in their mid-40's. There was no way I could afford that much unpaid time from work so had one fitted. Not had a period since (still get the monthly bloat/sore boobs/narkiness mind!! :D).

Not heard about the acne and as far as I am concerned it's not been an issue for me or those of my friends who had them fitted.

Bear in mind if you do need it for contraceptive reasons you'll have to have it refitted every 5 years - although I understand it's the most effective method of contraception. Even more so than the pill as some medication and even a bad tummy bug can affect that!

Mine is still the original and still works as far as all else is concerned. :)

I had a mirena for 6 yrs prior to my hysterectomy last June. No probs with acne, in fact no problems at all once it had settled (about 3 months) all really good.

Dudette- i had it fitted in July and I have to say that yes I am getting the acne since then- it took me a while to register what cause was - no doubt it is acne- horrendus spots on my neck and chin- another breakout just starting!! I am seriously considering geting it removed if it doesnt get any better- didn't have spots like this ever- not even as a teen!!! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!

I have had it in for a few years and never had problem with acne, everyone will be different. Still have heavy periods though :-( but the worst bit for me is the on off bleeding and clotting ( sorry if that's tmi ) its wearing me down, must go back and see what else they can do for me.

Back