Another rant from me:(

FATLASS1984

wannabe yummy-mummy:P
Another rant from me:( Ok this may sound like im being a bit petty and jealous even but im just annoyed really....

a member at our group who attended whilst she was pregnant had her baby 2weeks ago and has already lost 1st 11lbs since the babys birth and got slimmer of the week the past two weeks and my consultant is using her as an'example'of how the rest of the group should be...

no-one else was pregnant and there are alot of pensioners at my group and as those of us who have had children will know that many mothers lose ALOT of weight post-delivery as its all the water and bits and bobs that were'aquired'during the pregnancy,not to mention the weight of the baby!!

Our instructor made most of us at group feel like we had failed because of our meager losses in comparison with the new mums....is it just me or does anyone else think this is a bit unfair??

Im thinking of leaving my group and going to another one close by,i really dont need to be made feel like this:(

Thank you:)

I do agree with you on this as you can lose anything up to 2 stone after having a baby. My friend did sw while pregnant but her consultant did it on actual weight loss by subtracting the babies weight....or something like that so she had a fair loss. Plus her weigh ins didn't get included for a few weeks after her daughter was born.

thanks pizzle im glad youre with me on this..no doubt some will think im being unreasonable about this but i just think its out of order that no-one else is being recognised for their weight-loss achievements just because this woman is losing all her baby-weight:(

I think that's pretty poor in my opinion. I think your C has totally lost the plot if she's regarding this lady as being 'how the rest of the group should be'. Her weight loss journey at the moment is completely different to anyone else's, more so if she's breastfeeding. If she's being told 'well done' for losing weight, good! But to compare her to the rest of the group?....I would speak to SW as a company and ask what their policy is on this. I would also go elsewhere...

Baby weight loss is not weight loss due to being on slimming world. Its like having your leg cut off and saying "wow i did well on the diet this week iv lost weight!" I totally agree with you that it is unfair and also a false weight in for the new mum.

hmmmm I can kind of see it from both sides. I would imagine the reason she is getting praise is because she HAS actually lost 1 stone 11lbs.

Most women when pregnant gain weight and when they have their baby they will often end up weighing more than what they did to start with, as you do sometimes tend to let yourself go and get carried away.

So with that in mind I think this lady IS actually 1 stone 11lbs lighter than what she was just before she discovered she was pregnant. If that makes sense. The rules of SW are that consultants are not allowed to comment on weight change throughout your pregnancy. So the 1 stone 11lbs is most likely how much she has lost in 9 months from her pre pregnancy weight. So is not quite the same as cutting a limb off ;)

However despite all that and the fact she did brilliantly to not of gained any weight throughout her pregnancy, it can't be used as a comparison to other members so the consultants comment was a little off. As that is a weight loss over 9 months not 1 week.

I do however think she was entitled to slimmer of the week as it is a remarkable acheivement of which the consultant would not of been able to comment on throughout her pregnancy.

If only I could of lost weight when I had my baby I would of been over the moon. Unfortunately though I was one of those ones that got a bit carried away and ended up weighing alot more than I did before getting pregnant.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with you Britmum, although without all the facts, it's hard to judge. I lost a stone and a half in a week without doing anything after I had my son :eek: It was clearly all baby/water etc.

I do think it's unfair to compare the rest of the group to this new mum so soon after having her baby, as her weightloss will be different, especially if she's breastfeeding. I doubt she's lost 1 stone 11lbs since finding she was pregnant, even being on SW throughout, but who knows? :rolleyes: If the C is just trying to recognise her achievements at maybe not gaining any weight while pregnant, then she should say so and not make unfair comparisons with others on a totally different 'journey'.

perhaps you should speak to her, explain what you have just said, after all your a paying lady, not just a number, maybe email her, and if you do change class, still email her, she needs to know how you feel,

I'm not really sure how I feel on this, one way or the other as I'm not too fussed about SoW etc, just how I do (oooo, that sounds selfish!!) but I do think if you aren't happy at your group then it isn't going to be giving you your weekly 'boost' and won't be helping you with your weight loss. xx

i am like britmum i can see both side mainly cause i have been on both sides yes u do lose weigh quick after having a baby but thats only if u following a plan if not u would gain just the same as any other woman so staying to group while pg and still losing afterwards is achievement and yes the conslutant should celbrate that but no matter who it is a conslutant should never compare anyone to anyone we all lose weight at different weights.
please don't stop slimming world cause by stopping u will gain it all back and then be back to square one so i guess u have 3 options
1. speak to your con she maybe doesn't know shes doing it and u will help others to.
2. change groups
3. this is very drastic and to be honest i wouldn't do it without first trying number one but u could complain to slimming world.

i know u must feel bad but try thinking about your own personally achievements and remembering what they mean to u

to be honest i'm not keen on sow because newbies will often have this cause u lose more weight in the first few weeks but maybe its there as a push on for newbies

good luck in what ever u decide to do

I'm not really sure how I feel on this, one way or the other as I'm not too fussed about SoW etc, just how I do (oooo, that sounds selfish!!) but I do think if you aren't happy at your group then it isn't going to be giving you your weekly 'boost' and won't be helping you with your weight loss. xx

I agree with you Suepat, I'm happy to receive my certificates but at the end of the day I'm just interested in my progress. As long as my weight is going steadily downwards, I'm happy regardless.

However, consultants tend to have their favourites and it is unfair to pick one person out as the class champion and hold them up to be the ideal to aspire to. We've all established that everyone is different and lose weight at their own pace. To me it seems unprofessional and ignorant to conduct a class this way. I mean, there will always be class stars, in my class there's a lady who joined in August and has lost 4st 9lbs!!!! So obviously she gets some kind of recognition every week because of her big consistent losses but everyone else does as well, whatever their loss is. My consultant is really amazing, the group feels like a family with her as the mothership lol.

Like Suepat said, if you're not getting your weekly dose of inspiration, motivation and encouragement from your group its a good idea to find somewhere else that'll work for you. A great SW group is so important and could make or break you (figuratively speaking :D ) so I would make a concerted effort to find one that you feel comfortable in. Good luck and big hugs hun! And remember that you've always got the minimins crew to support you 24/7!

My consultant is great, if iv had a bad week she sends me e-cards with support and good luck and that makes me want to do well to show her i can do it. I stay on at class for me though, selfish but true. Im happy for others but all i care about is my losses and happiness. I know if i wasn't happy with my consultant or i wasn't getting the right level of support then i would definately leave (iv done it before and i'd do it again!) At the end of the day your paying to see YOU lose weight. If you bought a pair of jeans but you weren't happy with them then youd take them back, same thing as class if your not happy then there's plenty of other classes around.

i went to slimming world 2 years ago and lost nearly 2 stone. i really like the c, but then she had to close that class and i had to go to another class which had a different consultant that i didn't really take to. i never lost much with her class. fortunately my old c started another class in the evenings, so i went back to her class, and i'm losing again. i think your c has got a lot to do with your weight loss (well it has with me anyway), my c is a lovely person who treats everyone the same, if we put on weight its no big deal, everyones a winner in her class weight loss or no.
so if your not happy with your consultant, tell her the problem and if she doesn't take on board what you've said i would find a new one. losing weight is a bid deal, but she souldn't compare anyone else, everyones bodies are different, so therefore we won't all lose the same being on the same diet.
good luck watever you decide

I'm sure everyone else in the group feels the way you do, it's totally unreasonable to compare someone who's just had a baby with everyone else. I lost a stone and a half in 2 weeks after having a baby, and I wasn't even trying to lose weight. Your consultant is there to motivate you, not to compare people and make anyone feel bad. Have a quiet word with her next time you go.

After my third (and last) baby I was 1.5st lighter than when I became pregnant. (I was carrying baby weight from my second when I got pregnant the third time (they were born only 1 year and a week apart)).

That aside, I agree that it is good that the new mum is recognised for being sensible whilst pregnant. She certainly deserved the congratulations.

However, it is inappropriate to compare her against the rest of the class! That isn't a motivation for anyone unless they are having a baby too. Don't focus on the crap C though. Concentrate on you and what you want out of this experience.... Weight loss! xx

Slimmer of the week can be very questionable. I had slimmer of the week several times ahving lost half a pound. a) because everyone else had STS or put on and b) our group is so tiny it's a bit of a mockery. i am happy not to receive the bag of mouldy fruit that gets passed from one week to the next. Try not to see this as a competition but a personal achievemnt for you. I bet the lady is pretty embarrassed too xx

I'm not sure I agree with you Britmum, although without all the facts, it's hard to judge. I lost a stone and a half in a week without doing anything after I had my son :eek: It was clearly all baby/water etc.

I do think it's unfair to compare the rest of the group to this new mum so soon after having her baby, as her weightloss will be different, especially if she's breastfeeding. I doubt she's lost 1 stone 11lbs since finding she was pregnant, even being on SW throughout, but who knows? :rolleyes: If the C is just trying to recognise her achievements at maybe not gaining any weight while pregnant, then she should say so and not make unfair comparisons with others on a totally different 'journey'.

But that would depend on how long this mum has been doing slimming world, if she has been doing it since before she fell pregnant. Then once pregnant, consultants are not allowed to comment or remark on weight loss or gain. That is the strict rules of SW. So once she had the baby, it may well be that it is her total loss from before she fell pregnant is what I am saying. I have heard of many people doing this and it is very hard work to be lighter after having a baby than what you was before.

But as I said, that aside, the consultant should yes reward the mum on her achievement, but shouldn't be comparing her to the rest of the group.

Well personally I think the fact this lady had a baby is irrelevant. Shes done fab and deserves to be acknowledged. HOWEVER I don't think any C should compare people like this - though I wasn't there - so obviously can't give an exact opinion. But I think no matter what someones result was, everyone should be praised for just being there!!!

I don't agree with people with bigger losses getting more praise in class. In my ww class my leader gives me a lot of attention because I have lost over 9 stone. I get very embarrassed at this because the way I see it is it was ME that gained that weight therefore it was ME that had to lose it - most people don't have 9 stone to lose. So why does that make me any 'better' than someone who has lost a stone. I think in these classes everyones successes should be celebrated equally - many many people that have lost a stone to get to their target weight worked every bit as hard - or harder - to lose that stone as I did to lose my excess weight, it just so happened that due to my own fault I had more excess weight than them!!!

Sorry for going off track, hope you get my point lol.

Look at it like this. How many of us on here who have had babies. Have come out lighter than what we were pre pregnancy after have a baby? So say you were 12 stone when you feel pregnant, were we all 1 stone + less than that once we had the baby?

I doubt there are many that were. I certainly wasn't anyway.

To the OP though: perhaps email SW, and explain you disappointment in your consultant re: the comparing weight losses like that. You need to be confident in your consultant and if you are not then it is not a support for you.

Back