Another SW newbie

CathK77

Hi everyone, I'm in to week 2 of SW, so far so good & at my first weigh-in had lost 3.5lbs (still another stone & a half to go! Lol). Have been finding it great so far but hitting a bit of a tricky week, it's my b'day today so off out for lunch later and for dinner at the weekend, then it's my wedding anniversary so me & hubby off out for dinner then too. How do you manage syns when you're eating out? I've got the syns on the go app but not all restaurants are listed :( And course I'd like a glass (or 3) of wine too, anyone any tips? Thank you x

Hey there- When I know I am going out, I dont worry too much about it. SW is fab but you have to live! Ask your consultant about flexi syns. This isnt about saving stuff up, this is about damage control! so eg if you are going out for drinks, I would say- "right I will not have any more than 30 syns tonight" I will then calculate what that will alow me to drink- how many glasses of wine or how many vodkas etc. If Im going for a meal, I will do something similar. It is still bad, but it gives you a feeling of control. then the next day, straight back on plan and maybe some excercise to try and work off the treat.

If you weigh in and you have gained- then dont panic! you will have limited that damage as best you can, and you just keep going! :)

Karen xx
Starting weight- 14st 9.5lb
Week 1-4 lost 7.5lb
Week 5-8 lost 7lb
Week 9-12 lost 1lb
Wk 13- 1lb on- oopsie
Wk 14- aiming for a big loss this week!!!

Hi everyone, I'm in to week 2 of SW, so far so good & at my first weigh-in had lost 3.5lbs (still another stone & a half to go! Lol). Have been finding it great so far but hitting a bit of a tricky week, it's my b'day today so off out for lunch later and for dinner at the weekend, then it's my wedding anniversary so me & hubby off out for dinner then too. How do you manage syns when you're eating out? I've got the syns on the go app but not all restaurants are listed :( And course I'd like a glass (or 3) of wine too, anyone any tips? Thank you x

Hi Cath, welcome. I love food and I love wine! So far, I have avoided drinking as it is one of my triggers for eating my own body weight in food! However, it seems that spirits with diet mixers may be a safer choice syn wise. But if you fancy wine, you can have it, just count the appropriate number of syns.

As for eating out, it really does depend on where you're planning to go. There seems to be a lot of low syn chinese options with boiled rice or you can eat roast meats, fish etc with potatoes and veg no problem. Pasta seems ok too, just stick to tomato based sauces rather than cream or cheese.

I'm new to this too so still learning, but the guide suggests planning ahead, ask for the menu beforehand to pick out options. Have free and superfree food all day so syns, healthy extras and more free food can be enjoyed later and finally, ask how it is cooked and what comes with it. If it's chips have new potatoes or extra veg. Hope you have a great week :)

Last edited:
Hey there- When I know I am going out, I dont worry too much about it. SW is fab but you have to live! Ask your consultant about flexi syns. This isnt about saving stuff up, this is about damage control! so eg if you are going out for drinks, I would say- "right I will not have any more than 30 syns tonight" I will then calculate what that will alow me to drink- how many glasses of wine or how many vodkas etc. If Im going for a meal, I will do something similar. It is still bad, but it gives you a feeling of control. then the next day, straight back on plan and maybe some excercise to try and work off the treat.

If you weigh in and you have gained- then dont panic! you will have limited that damage as best you can, and you just keep going! :)

Karen xx
Starting weight- 14st 9.5lb
Week 1-4 lost 7.5lb
Week 5-8 lost 7lb
Week 9-12 lost 1lb
Wk 13- 1lb on- oopsie
Wk 14- aiming for a big loss this week!!!
I'm also a newbie to SW but have heard that's it's a great plan because you don't have to completely deprive yourself! Which is great! I think of SW as more of a healthy eating plan than any type of dieting plan!
Your very correct in saying that YOU HAVE TO LIVE! :D Live and be healthy!

Thanks everyone for your ideas! Flexi syns were a great idea, as was saving up Hex's and syns for going out! So I went out for a lovely lunch, swopped the wine for a couple of vodka & diet coke's, had a very naughty slice of tiramisu...and still lost 2lb at my weigh-in last night! Happy days

Back