Anxiety

I am struggling at uni at the minute as I have similar problems with dyslexica so my grade overall will be a 2:2, however I have tons of exerperience so that is a positive. I just can not help thinking I am a failure though work hours to complete coursework but with my problems with english and interpretation it has an effect of the quality and it just feels a bit soul destroying! I also do a terriable way of deling with anxiety/stress by comfort eating so then thats more added pressure :(!!!

You are not looking on a bright side, are you?

Getting degree it's a vast achievement itself, especially while working.
I know many successful ppl with 2:2 grade and many ppl struggling with their career despite getting 2:1.
Your grade itself won't be a major factor in choosing your path - it's your pass to continue what you want doing.
Come on - cheer up - start appreciating what you have in a first place.
If you are unable to do this - nothing will make you happy later xxx

I suffer with anxiety but on a social level, it makes going to work very tough, i suffer with panic attacks and never relax when shopping, its horrid :( I am currently taking some herbal tablets called Quite Life, like Kalms i think and seem to be taking the edge off slightly. xxx

I have taking some valergian tabs at night for sleep
quitelife I have trouble with as they make me very aggiated and not te desired effect I was after.

Oh I feel bad for you but try to look on the positive side - at least you are doing a degree, that is more than I have ever done, you are managing your weight & you post on this board, I am sorry I can't give you much more advice as I don't normally get anxious about things, we are here though if you need to get it all off your chest!

thanks - I was just feeling sorry for myself, I have booked an appointment with my personal tutor and also mental health worker in relation to the anxiety!

I'm glad you've made an appointment with the university. Are they aware you are dyslexic? Universities need to support dyslexic students during their course.
Don't worry about the degree classification, I know many people with 2:2s and even thirds who are now doing very well for themselves! Often experience counts for a lot more, so this is where you need show off :)

I am not dylesxic but autisitic but some of the charactersitics are similar to my difficulties when it comes to coursework. They do know and have good support and also found agreat supervisor who understands my needs for my 3rd yr dissertation :)
Thank you for your comment makes me less stressed, I have done tons of experience and currently doing other pieces so that gives me comfort that I am not a total waste, athough when looking at my university work I feel positive as I have done my best and put a lot of time and effort which will show up on my university record form that they give as a chatacter statement type thing, so all is not lost :)

You are doing wonderfully well! Both my sons got 2:2's and they both have done well, both funnily enough ending up after other jobs as physics teachers. Employers today don't just go by what degree you get, they are more interested as to whether you fit the job, , keep up the good work and if they offer you counselling, grab it with both hands.

I know exactly how you feel. I also suffer with anxiety (and panic attacks), I also struggled at university (with dyslexia) as I find concentration and reading very difficult and at the time was on my own with my DD1. I was allowed 25% extra time for exams and had to put a thicky sticker (my own term) on my coursework so that less notice was taken of my spelling and grammer. For my first two years, I was dragging along with a 3rd, but managed to claw some marks back in the third year to get a 2:2 in Law. Since then, I have completed an MSc and had to go through it all again (although I found the MSc so much easier as you don't have the same bulk of work as you do at undergrad).

The most important thing is to keep plugging away, when it feels like it is getting away from you, take a break but never feel it is too much as it isn't. One of my friends that I studied with was a fellow dyslexic and passed with a 2:2 (also in Law) with a reading age of 13 (and was also an on-going victim of domestic violence). I always thought, if she could do it, so could I!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you will too!!!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to employment, I haven't come across one employer who turns someone away for having less than a 2:1. If it is a graduate they are after, they generally just want you to have a degree of whatever level. In my job, I write 2000 to 5000 word reports almost all day (I am a town planner) and it takes me longer than my colleagues as I have to proof read everything about 4 or 5 times.

Good luck and I will be thinking of you. If I can offer any help or support, PM me.

Kate xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i love life try breaking down what you need to do into smaller chunks so that its more managerable. try not to let it get on top of you . dont be scared to ak for help . and take some time off even if its just a ten minuite break to walk around the block. good luck

i hope my post didnt sound patronizing. i work with people with autism so understand how anxious you are feeling and know that alot of the people i work with wold get so focused on the task theyed simply forget to take a break

no definately not, at times it hard to think straight and you forget the simple tihngs that not just autisitic people can do but also NT

Last edited:
I am struggling at uni at the minute as I have similar problems with dyslexica so my grade overall will be a 2:2, however I have tons of exerperience so that is a positive. I just can not help thinking I am a failure though work hours to complete coursework but with my problems with english and interpretation it has an effect of the quality and it just feels a bit soul destroying! I also do a terriable way of deling with anxiety/stress by comfort eating so then thats more added pressure :(!!!

I'm doing a 4 yr sandwich course degree at the moment, and im in my 3rd yr which means instead of doing the final year im getting a year of work experience...We had a return day at uni last week to talk about the final year and OMG...I near enough had an anxiety attack on the spot!! I'm dreading going back..especially now ive been working part time for a year and not having to do uni work after hours!!

Just remember everyone else is scared/worried/anxious about the last year and how well we are going to do...im terrifyed and I havent even started yet! x

I'm doing a 4 yr sandwich course degree at the moment, and im in my 3rd yr which means instead of doing the final year im getting a year of work experience...We had a return day at uni last week to talk about the final year and OMG...I near enough had an anxiety attack on the spot!! I'm dreading going back..especially now ive been working part time for a year and not having to do uni work after hours!!

Just remember everyone else is scared/worried/anxious about the last year and how well we are going to do...im terrifyed and I havent even started yet! x

I promise everyone going into the last year, it is soooooooooo much better than the 2nd year!!! You get to do more of what you want to do and less of the chaff that makes up a degree. Both times, I really enjoyed the last year and it goes so quickly. It is much more relaxed than the first two. Promise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back