Any good low gi books

shrinkingannie

Gold Member
As above really, I love the idea of low gi, I would love an inspirational book to get me started! Thanks

Doing this from my phone so can't copy from relevant post. Search this forum for books. There was a thread in sept where I posted info. If you want an easy read go for Nigel Denby. If you want all the serious science bit go for Patrick Holford. Though holfords cookery book has lovely recipes and good overview of GL.
I'll post more info for you if you have questions.
As I said, on the phone at the mo.

Thanks for that, I've just read the Greek doctors book and it was interesting but a bit too sciency!

Yep, I had looked at that one too. Nigel Denby is a good one and he uses a traffic light system. Patrick holford's cookery book has an easy to understand overview and the recipes are good.
Simply put, to achieve weightloss;
Eat three small meals and two snacks.
Portion sizes are very small. Either weigh or use cupped hand.
Avoid bread, potato, pasta, rice as far as possible. Substitute with rye crackers, oat crackers, quinoa, couscous.
Eat fish, chicken, turkey. Reduce red meat.
Eat leafy green veg. General rule is to eat anything that grows above the ground.
For fruit, choose berries or apple and pears, kiwis.
For snacks. Fruit or oat crackers with hummus or peanut butter( very little!!)
Water!!!! A must! Drink 3 litres over the course of the day.
In weightloss phase alcohol must be avoided otherwise no losses.
If you follow this you will not feel hungry after the first couple of weeks. Try to view this as a plan for life.
I have successfully maintained TFR losses for a year now and have lost another 39 pounds using GL.
I never feel hungry unless I have started eating sugary or carb rich foods. I really notice the difference if I have much of these foods.

Thanks a million for that! It's great to know the hunger subsides - do u feel great in yourself- energy wise. I did a detox a few weeks ago and I had amazing energy, I'd like to get that feeling back!

What about cheese and dark chocolate occasionally ?

Dark chocolate of high cocoa content is good but just a few squares!!!! Not a whole bar. Go for 75% or higher. It is mire bitter so you won't want to eat much. Cheese should be used sparingly too as it has a very high fat content. Grate it as this way it goes further. Personally, I cut these out initially whilst trying to lose weight. I love both !!!! So it was not easy but you soon lose the taste for them. I have them now I'm maintaining but I watch how much I have. I'll chop a very small bit of cheddar and have it wit tomato and beetroot on rye crackers. Balsamic vinegar is a great substitute for a lot of salad dressing. Both vinegar and lemon juice lower the GL value of foods.

Back