Any horse riders?

x Alex x

Silver Member
hi,
just wondered if there were any horse riders/owners on here?

Also, any horse riders actively trying to lose weight to improve performance?

Thanks
Alex

hi,
just wondered if there were any horse riders/owners on here?

Also, any horse riders actively trying to lose weight to improve performance?

Thanks
Alex

I used to, but Im too heavy to ride now :(

Most definately something ill do again once I shift some weight!!

I've always wanted to learn to ride, a few years back I had a try at the local centre but I was big so had to ride the hugest horse I'd ever seen and the height to fall make me feel very uncomfortable and scared, I still really want to ride and have told myself when I'm at goal I shall have another go hopefully on a smaller horse (donkey/shetland :8855::8855:) then there will be less height to fall and I'll be more confident :)

I miss riding so much, especially early morning when its really fresh out, I also miss the exercise from it too. I hope when I have lost the weight I can do a trek somewhere on a beach :)

I used to ride a bit when I was younger, but like some of the others I feel I'm just too heavy now and it really isn't fair on the poor horse!

I would agree with your comment if it was a lightweight horse with no bone about it but there are various breeds and type of horse out there more than capable of carrying heavier riders!

I would agree with your comment if it was a lightweight horse with no bone about it but there are various breeds and type of horse out there more than capable of carrying heavier riders!

How big is your cob? x

My mare is 15.1hh and has just under 10" of bone. For hacking etc she is totally fine but I am also a balanced rider which helps. I wouldn't jump her at my weight but this is why I am dieting mainly for her. My gelding is 15.3hh with 11" of bone and he didn't struggle to do anything with me at my current weight... I guess it all depends on what you are doing with them my mare is being trained for dressage.

I'm not remotely a decent rider. I just like to sit on a horse and walk/trot through the countryside. I did ride a few years ago at Center Parcs, but they did put me on an ENORMOUS horse, presumably because of my weight, and I was a bit embarrassed by that.

We're off to center parcs again in december, and hopefully I'll be a lot lighter by then, so I might give it another go.

horse rider

I used to be an owner but haven't ridden for 20 years because of my weight. I have now had a gastric by pass and when I get my weight down to a low enough level it is my goal to start riding again.

I've been riding since I was a young child. It's about eighteen months since I was regularly riding but I still work around horses, just don't have a horse to ride currently (and sadly can't afford one of my own).

I always wanted to learn. Is 25 too late to start? Does anyone know how much it usually costs? Sorry about all the questions but i am really considering starting. xx :)

Hi

25 is certainly not too old to learn to ride :) Lesson cost vary hugely I pay £25 per hour for a private lesson with my own horse but you can be looking at from around that price upwards to £30/£40... I would call up some local stables and go along for a chat... I would suggest 1/2 hr private lessons to start with for which you will be looking at the £15 - £20 mark I would have thought..

I'm not remotely a decent rider. I just like to sit on a horse and walk/trot through the countryside. I did ride a few years ago at Center Parcs, but they did put me on an ENORMOUS horse, presumably because of my weight, and I was a bit embarrassed by that.

We're off to center parcs again in december, and hopefully I'll be a lot lighter by then, so I might give it another go.

At your weight you would be fine on my young horse and shes certainly not a big heavy beastie :)

I used to pay about £20 for a half-hour group lesson. Get in touch with some local stables though, it varies quite a bit :)

Thank you for getting back to me about the prices :). I found some stables in my area the other week but haven't got round to ringing them yet. I will take your advice and enquire about the half hour private sessions and go from there.

Thanks again :) I''m really excited to start now lol. xx

meeeeeeee:D

i have 3 at the moment, although 1 is the kids pony.

not really riding just now though, need to lose weight first:(

I used to horse ride, and then fell off and damaged my knee which put me out of action for a couple of months. I gained weight because I couldn't physically do any of my sports but also, I was terrified of going back. I used to pay £10 for an hour session, but the stables were awful and I stopped going (but not before reporting them to the RSPCA!). My local stables is £20 for an hour session, £30 for a private hour which I think is more than reasonable. Alot of places have weight limits now, but you'd be surprised how high it actually is. I went horse riding in Wales a few years back and the stables weight limit was something like 25st! I can't remember the name of the stables now, but they did week long holidays. We went on a 3hr hack across the beach and through the valleys it was absolutely amazing! All for £40, brilliant.

I can't wait to go back to horse riding. Does anybody know of any stables in or near Winchester, Hamps.?

Back