Any ideas for food to store in locker

Sarah2439

So I was kept on to work a 12 hour shift last night, should have been 8 hours but something major happened at work and they extended my shift. It was a Saturday night shift.

I had chicken and cottage cheese for my lunch, which has become one of my all time favourite lazy lunches (as in takes no time to prepare), with a muller light yogurt. I had eaten this before I was told I was staying on. Anyway with 8 hours to go before the end of my shift instead of 4 I started to get hungry. Tescos closed at midnight and there are no late night garages in my area. My options were a takeaway or 5 sports mixture sweets and a chocolate biscuit, I went for the latter and had some breakfast when I got home.
:argh:
Now, I dont think the calories were enough to stop my weight loss or really affect the diet much, but I was annoyed I was so unprepared, becasue in my job you can end up doing a 16 hour day without advance notice. Its just a shame it happened when Tescos closes.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can store in my locker in case this happens again. The only thing I can think of is a supply of oatbran, as we always have semi skimmed milk for tea and coffees??

thanks

S

tins of no drain tuna are fab for emergencys :D

Yes agree with Ellie, it will never go off weather temps wouldn't have an effect on the quality x

As well as the tuna, ringpull tins of no drain steamed / grilled Mackerel (John West). I think they also do sardines like that. Sainsbury also do tinned mackerel with tomato, and according to the ingredients list it really has no other added nasties so for a PV day this is quite nice.

Biltong. Now available in lots of supermarkets. Very salty but okay for emergencies! Ditto Jerky but I think that tends to have added sugar and stuff.

If you can stomach them - pickled eggs? Again as far as I can tell they are okay (eggs and malt vinegar)

Oatbran crackers / crispbread (water, wheatbran, oatbran, tiny pinch of salt, spread thinly on baking tray and bake in low oven for about an hour - there is a recipe of mine in the recipes section). I cut the crispbread into 1/2 TB pieces to help dosage. I took those on a trip recently, packed in ziplock bags and they were just as good after 6 days, I'm sure they would keep much longer as long as you make sure they are completely dried out.

I'm trying to remember what Atropos once told us about her emergency handbag items!

Not much help on the filling up point of things but made up sugar free jelly is stored on ambient shelves in the supermarket and last months, the oat bran is a fantastic idea. Really can't think of anything else. The fact that everything is fresh and natural on this diet is one its major plus points healthwise but for those like yourself it requires lots of planning for tricky situations.

For the sweets and the chocolate its not the calories that are the problem its the sugar and fat but much better than a takeaway I guess.

Dependent on the take away there is probably something u can always eat!!

Back