Any Ideas

vixmania41999

Silver Member
We've got a cook off type thing today and I had made the gingerbread men yesterday from the back of this months mag to take in but I must have done something wrong as they were horrible, had no flavour and tasted like cardboard.

Anyways I'm back to square 1 and don't know what to take thats quick, simple and cheap to make without needing fancy ingredients (only got a tiny tesco express within walking distance, hubby is using my car atm cos we scrapped his) anyone got any ideas?

I'm glad its not just me who tried the gingerbread men and thought they were awful - mine were too - terribly dry, even struggled eating one dunked in a cup of tea!

They were my plan for a taster tonight too, but wont be showing my face with those!

I always do a few things - I'm generally safer with savouries so am doing samosas and fishcakes from the curry heaven book (with a few modifications, as there is no way I'm adding fresh crab to a taster night recipe, sticking with cooked white fish!)

The KFC chicken is always a winner - did that last time, theres a sticky thread with the recipe for that somewhere - I dont follow the instructions to the letter though - it tells you to boil the chicken first!! No need for that.

The other thing I'm bringing is some chocolate truffles I made last night from a recipe on here, haven't had an actual truffle yet (how's that for will power!) but the mixture was gorgeous!

Only thing is, it says to chill overnight in the fridge, and if you only have a small tesco you might not be able to get Quark - maybe fat free fromage frais would work?

Hope you find something quick and easy to do - I'll repost the truffle recipe anyway as they were so nice...

Makes 20.
Syns for whole batch 24.5
2.5 syns for 2 truffles.

50g dark chocolate chips
113g quark
2 options indulgence sachets (any flavour)
28g chocolate sprinkles

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for about a minute, then stir until smooth.

Beat the quark until creamy. Add the chocolate and mix well.

Add the options indulgence sachets and mix

Using a teaspoon, make 20 blobs onto some greaseproof paper and put in the fridge to harden slightly. (About 20 minutes).

Remove from the fridge, and roll into balls with the palms of your hands.

Roll truffles in the chocolate sprinkles and put back in the fridge to set overnight. Once set store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat.

Back