Any long term maintainers out there with wisdom???

Sara4

Gold Member
OK So I am a habitual reoffender! :sigh: I can do TFR NO problem. I have NEVER cheated once in my 3 stints on it. I pick a day to start and it doesn't bother me at all till I finish. I would nearly say it is easy!

So WHY? When I can exercise such control on TFR am I such a reoffender? Weight piles back on as I slot back into bad habbits.

All the promises that I make myself EVERY time. How I will cook all my own food. How I will watch my portions. How I will exercise and eat sensibly. Then back to square one in no time.

I know I am a comfort eater. I know that. I have reasoned myself out of eating so many times when upset while on TFR and I can do it. I can resist food. So why when I am back in the world of eating can I not resist?????

I know I feel worse after eating the food. I know I feel guilt and disgust with myself for giving in. I know I will be miserable when I see the pounds creeping back on and the scales and the sideways glances from family as the bulges start to reappear! So WHY can't I be good????? :confused:

What is the secret???? Any long term maintainers out there that can divulge???

Anyway....Hi....I'm Back!!! On day 6 of TFR and starting weight of 12stone 8lbs!

Hi Sara,

I think you might want to read the thread about the food councelling that is available. This might make you understand what it is that is making you look at food the way you do and how you might be able to change your perception.

I am currently on day 6 so I would not be able to advise you, I hope it helps. Good Luck

http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-forum/107748-weight-councelling.html

Hi Sara

I am not a maintainer, but I think your problem is not necessarily that you are able to stick with LT. I think you can do that very well, from what you have said on your post.

But, you are obviously not addressing the real issues regarding comfort eating...you will no doubt keep coming back if you dont start sorting these out. You obviously need some counselling as well I reckon.

I have an eating disorder, but whilst being on LT I have done a lot of soul searching and tried to find out why I do what I do. I am re-feeding next week, so, all is in the balance, but my heart is saying, I can do this. Although, in Autumn I am going to start a class that runs for 10 weeks and it is all about eating disorders...no point pretending there isnt a problem.

LT shouldnt be a quick fix, and I am probably speaking to the converted, so if I were you and in your situation, I would be really assessing the whole food relationship issue you have and not just knocking out the food completely.

Sorry if this is a bit harsh, it isnt meant to be. I do wish you all the very best but please also look at the whole psychological problems around your eating and then you wont be re-offending (as you call it again) :)

And, welcome to the forum; good luck for Wk 1 WI.

Take care

Hi Sara, the only thing I can tell you is to weigh yourself ONCE a week. If you are over your goal, cut down on portion size or cut OUT any junk you are eating, after 3 days, weigh again. If not back on track, carry on cutting back on the "extras". I cannot bring myself to buy a chocolate bar, although I CAN limit my intake to very dark 85%chocolate to just few squares at a time and NOT every day. I refuse birthday cakes at work and realise if I am to keep at this weight (10stone 11lbs), I cannot mindlessly put food into my mouth. In every meal, I make healthy choices so that very occasionally, I may have ONE item like a Magnum lolly.....I've my OH's mum and younger son over from the USA staying with us for 5 weeks and I often come home to some West Indian home cooking, so it's a bit of a minefield BUT as she is slim and mostly vegetarian....so far....so good. My weekly WI is tommorrow, I'll try not to panic!!!! So we, who have had food issues for years, cannot afford to take our eyes off the ball....ever!! Best of luck hun.

Hi sara, remember me?! :giggle:

Try not to stress too much, eating again is the hardest part - i too am going through a difficult time but it is just about portion control and choosing the 'right' foods to eat.

Maybe councelling might help?

On the other hand there is now a maintainence thread on here!!
Lipotrim Maintenance - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

Pop over there, post the same post as you have done here and hopefully Jan and Mary (they are maintainers and doing incredibly well at it) will be able to help you out abit more :) xxx

hi sara im exactly the same came of the diet not mentally prepared to tackle food so im back on it after totally ballsing the refeed and putting over 2 stone back on in 2 months due to comfort eating! ive been to see my doc who is putting me on "the waiting list" for councelling!so we'll see how that goes and im really bad for craving chocolate when im due on due to pmt ive been told the marina coil is good for pmt has anyone had one?
deb x

Thanks girls! I will think about the counselling but I am not sure. I eat when life hits me curveballs. I don't think it is because I have issues. Like today, I got some not so good news about my daughter re a health issue and it had been a long day and I was tired and all I could think was how nice a cheese and pineapple pizza would be! Now I didn't as I am on TFR but if I wasn't, if I was eating then wild horses would not have stopped me eating a pizza!

Other than with stress, I eat when I am lazy (which is very often) and don't want to bother cooking and I order in!

But I think summergurl has the answer for me to try and that is maintenance! Summer you are looking FAB!!! Well done you! Really amazing! Your pics are great!

hi sara im exactly the same came of the diet not mentally prepared to tackle food so im back on it after totally ballsing the refeed and putting over 2 stone back on in 2 months due to comfort eating! ive been to see my doc who is putting me on "the waiting list" for councelling!so we'll see how that goes and im really bad for craving chocolate when im due on due to pmt ive been told the marina coil is good for pmt has anyone had one?
deb x

Hi Debs

Just had one fitted 3 weeks ago, but I think it is early days to be honest..mine was more for heavy bleeding and well, since i had it inserted I havent stopped!! Hopefully that will change.

I would look into it first and search..personally, I wish I hadnt had it put in because I didnt realise it was HRT..and I always said I would never have that....I was just so desparate, but just read up so that you know.

I would look into it first and search..personally, I wish I hadnt had it put in because I didnt realise it was HRT..and I always said I would never have that....I was just so desparate, but just read up so that you know.

WOW! I didn't know it was HRT!!!! How thick am I? I have one in over 2yrs!!! I have found it a godsend but I too didn't want HRT!! It took about 6 months to take full effect for me (heavy flow) but now it is brilliant. I still get PMT and Breast distension though. Although the PMT isn't as bad as it used to be and less frequent as the periods are less frequent as before.

Hi Sara

I remember you when I was on TFR. I have now been maintaining since April 3rd and I am keeping +/- 3lbs every week.

Its not all about not eating things like pizza, or crisps, or chocolate, but you have to find that middle line where you put things into perspective and eat all these things, but moderation must be the key.

Some days I nibble on chocolate, have a packet of crisps, one or 5 too many vodka's and I feel like a stuffed teddy bear by the time I go to bed, but then I cut right back for a couple of days afterwards and the weight soon evens out.

I think if you deprive yourself of food/drink that you know you shouldnt have too much of, thats when you get the binge head on and eat everything in sight.

Good luck to get to your goal this time Sara and you will soon be back on refeed. Hopefully you can discover whats causing you these blips and you can join us in the maintenance forum and keep it off this time hun.

All the best.

Hi Sara
Your message is like reading about me. I don't feel that im on my own with now. I am totally committed to TFR. It's the refeed I can't handle. 1st refeed for me went well up to day 4 and then a demon took over and I ate everything in sight. I got myself back on track with TFR and then because I maybe told myself that I was allowed food I started eating without refeeding. Im now back on TFR till next thursday and then my plan is to do a proper refeed. At the moment i am yo-yo-ing and probably messing up my glycogen levels. Im a determined person though and I believe I wont allow myself to put my weight back on. But I can't stay on Lipotrim forever. Each time i mess it up i give myself a good talking to and even Im fed up with my naughty habits. Right now I feel good about refeed and have convinced myself that i will complete a full week of refeed this time. Im sorry if i have gone on but it's good to get this off my chest. Good luck and remember your not alone. We will get there xxx

Hi Sara

I remember you when I was on TFR. I have now been maintaining since April 3rd and I am keeping +/- 3lbs every week.

Its not all about not eating things like pizza, or crisps, or chocolate, but you have to find that middle line where you put things into perspective and eat all these things, but moderation must be the key.

Some days I nibble on chocolate, have a packet of crisps, one or 5 too many vodka's and I feel like a stuffed teddy bear by the time I go to bed, but then I cut right back for a couple of days afterwards and the weight soon evens out.

I think if you deprive yourself of food/drink that you know you shouldnt have too much of, thats when you get the binge head on and eat everything in sight.

Good luck to get to your goal this time Sara and you will soon be back on refeed. Hopefully you can discover whats causing you these blips and you can join us in the maintenance forum and keep it off this time hun.

All the best.

Hi Kered!

You are looking amazing! Both you and Sumergurl are doing just brilliant!! Well done. And I think you are right the maintenance I think is the solution for me. So hopefully I'll be joining you on the maintenance board soon!

Hi Sara
Your message is like reading about me. I don't feel that im on my own with now. I am totally committed to TFR. It's the refeed I can't handle. 1st refeed for me went well up to day 4 and then a demon took over and I ate everything in sight. I got myself back on track with TFR and then because I maybe told myself that I was allowed food I started eating without refeeding. Im now back on TFR till next thursday and then my plan is to do a proper refeed. At the moment i am yo-yo-ing and probably messing up my glycogen levels. Im a determined person though and I believe I wont allow myself to put my weight back on. But I can't stay on Lipotrim forever. Each time i mess it up i give myself a good talking to and even Im fed up with my naughty habits. Right now I feel good about refeed and have convinced myself that i will complete a full week of refeed this time. Im sorry if i have gone on but it's good to get this off my chest. Good luck and remember your not alone. We will get there xxx

Binger - it is good to know I am not alone too! I am generally a sensible individual and just find my own actions so hard to understand! But I think as the others have suggested maintenance may be the way for me for a while!

Failing that it will be off to the nutty professor for mental diagnosis. To find out if my mother threatening us kids with the wooden spoon (which she never even took out of the drawer!) if we didn't behave is what is at the root of all my evils!!! LOL!:D

I've not even started LT yet (Saturday first day) and I am already a nit worried about how I will handle food in the future when I've reached my desired weight. I'm a big binge eater and the takeaways are my real downfall. It's the working long hours and this idea that it's really romantic having a night in with hubby with a takeaway. Hopefully I'll learn to combat this after LT.

Can I also say you've done amazingly well and I really wish you all the luck in the world

What a great topic!!!!! Sara4, I don't think your weight gains are so bad. I too am a binge eater. When I diet I have to have the right frame of mind, that only happens every 3-4years though, and each time I put on well over double what I lost. The weight I am now I think is the lowest I have ever got down to. About 3 years ago I lost 3 stone, got down to 12 st. When I started this diet, I weighed in at 17st 3lbs!!!! I was horrified. I had put on 5 stone!!!! I have worked so hard this time, and as determined as I am not too put the weight back on, we all now how easy it is to slip back into the old. Especially when people who know what diet you are doing say, you will only put the weight back on when you start eating again! That does make me that tad more eager to prove them all wrong though!!! I just hope this time I can maintain, but like others have said, its nice to know we are not on our own

Ahhhhhh..this sounds like KD territory. If it's the "head stuff" you want/need, the KD is the one to challenge you.

Have a nosey in the maintainance threads. KD is ex-CD, which I'm sure you know is mega similar to LT. Hence, I hop into all the forums :) but you'll generally find a lot of good headwork that way from her.

x

Hi Sara,

You say you're not sure about counselling because you don't feel you have 'issues' ...... you do ..... your issue is that when life throws you a curve ball as you put it - you eat.
Think about it .... how does that work for you?? How many calories would it have taken to make the bad news about your daughter's health issue go away?
The answer is obvious so what you need to explore is why you REALLY make the choice to behave in such a way that achieves nothing positive in the end.
For this reason PLEASE make sure that the counsellor you see is specifically trained in weight related issues.
I used to be a counsellor in a GP surgery. If I'd been asked that question I'd have said 'it doesn't matter what the issues are about', however since being trained specifically in weight management, I have found out it does - believe me!

Best of luck with it - to all of you xx

Back