Cruise PV Any one else here like me? encouragement needed, please.

i have never heard of a beer can chicken - oohmigod - where have i been?

It's come across from the south (Oz and SA). It is growing in popularity here. M&S were selling a version of this a few weeks back. John Lewis also sell them.
We call it "chicken up the bum" in our house, obviously not something we mention a lot in public.

I bought a George Foreman Grill the day before I started Dukan it is so easy to grill chicken, steak, vegetables etc ive even toasted dukan bread on it. Just follow the instructions in the booklet that comes with it. Worth every penny, my oven has hardly been on and I am a good cook if I say so myself :))

I have a very easy dessert for you...frozen yogurt!

If im in a rush I open a mullerlight yogurt (controversial, i know, lol), put a spoon it and plonk it in the freezer.

Its a lovely creamy ice lolly that way :) An no need to clean any pots, just the spoon. You could buy proper moulds as well but im lazy, lol.

Sad thing is im not that bad a cook when i want to be, just need the motivation!!

I have a very easy dessert for you...frozen yogurt!

If im in a rush I open a mullerlight yogurt (controversial, i know, lol), put a spoon it and plonk it in the freezer.

Its a lovely creamy ice lolly that way :) An no need to clean any pots, just the spoon. You could buy proper moulds as well but im lazy, lol.

Sad thing is im not that bad a cook when i want to be, just need the motivation!!

Thank you very much!! that is certainly something I can do and enjoy..LOL thanks for the Idea

OK - I've tried to break down the step by step instruction to make the muffins - fingers crossed I haven't made any glaring errors (bear in mind that I am adapting a recipe I haven't made myself yet)

CAN ANY OTHER BAKERS PLEASE CHECK THAT THIS IS OK?

Anything look really off to you

MUFFINS - Method

1. Print out the recipe so you can read it as you cook.

2. Switch on your oven, and turn to the temp. you will be baking at:
Mark 6 if its gas, 200' Centigrade if its electric

3. Put all the equipment and all the ingredients you will need on the counter or table, before you start.
(You might want to put the silcon mould on a metal baking sheet to make it easier to carry when it's full)

4. Crack the egg on the edge of the bowl and drop in.
Check that no shell got left in there as well, and fish it out if it has.

5. Add two level tablespoons of oatbran
Level means that you fill the spoon then level it off with a knife - it doesn't have to be precise!

6. Add one level teaspoon of the baking powder
Make sure it is a teaspoon - and again, make sure you level off the top with a knife.

7. Add one tablespoon of the fromage frais OR quark or Greek yogurt (whatever you chose)
You don't have to level the spoon off.

7a. This is where you could get fancy and add other flavours if you want to try second time around: a little black pepper, or some chopped herbs, or example).

8. With the wooden spoon mix all the ingredients together, until the mixture is smooth and uniform.

9. spoon half the mixture carefully into three of the silicon muffin moulds, only filling each one about half full.

10. Pop a couple of small pieces of smoked salmon in each mould.

11. Spoon on the rest of the mixture to cover the salmon -

12. Careful carry the muffin mould to the oven, and slide it in.

13. Check the time! You want to be opening the oven in about 35 minutes.

14. After 30 minutes, check the muffins - they should be puffy and slightly brown on top.

15. Take the moulds out of the oven and let the muffins steam/cool for a bit.

16. Pop them out - and enjoy warm or save to eat cold later!

These would be nice sliced in half and spread with quark mixed with the chopped chive or chopped spring onion.

AND REMEMBER

If it goes wrong - its not your fault.
Everyone has a few disasters when they start to bake, as you learn the quirks of their oven.
Even flat muffins are tasty, and burnt muffins can be thrown in the bin and no one need ever know!

OMG Atropos!!!!! thank you soooooooooooo much ...that is so clear for someone who doesn't cook at all!

I really appreciate your time and input!!! I know it is pathetic that I don't cook and you have to go to these lengths but one has to start somewhere, right? and every time I read recipes I have a million questions. With yours is CRYSTAL clear!!!

THANK YOU :worthy:

I just hopes it works - if it doesn't, don't despair, just come back to me, and we'll try to tweak it a bit.

Zeniths ( oh for crying out loud... Apologies but my iPad keeps changing names and it likes you as Zeniths so please play along and in my mind I am calling you the X name!!!!)

My confession also, is I am a domestic mess. In fact very like Zoe wanna maker in "My Family" sitcom!,
When I first found this site I thought it was pre translation from France as I didn't understand a scooby what people were going on about, and the mention of gallettes gave me the willies. :D

But panic not, take a deep breath and as others have suggested tackle one thing at a time. ( and if you want to feel really good read my yesterday's post re: gallette disaster).

I am just sticking to basics and learning along the way, in fact how I have fed two kids is pretty spectacular, on the other hand it may explain why they are all stick thin :confused:

Good luck and don't forget google is amazing.. If I need to know an oven temp I just look up what I'm cooking and it gives me all the info!!

Dolly

What a fantastic thread - should be stickied as there as such a wealth of great advice!

Could I just say how much we who are new to the diet appreciate the time and effort you more experienced dukaners take to provide us with support and information. :worthy:

I think cooking is just another case of 'practice makes perfect', oh and trial and error. The recipes and meal ideas here are fab but if you find that they don't turn out well the first time, you will usually have an idea of why so you can tweak the way you do it the next time.

I am another fan of the Foreman Grill. Use mine ALL the time - would fry eggs on it if it would let me :D. Cleaning it probably takes the most time but I always clean it when it is still pretty hot and that makes it easier.

Love seeing all the yukky fat flowing out!

Anyway, keep at it - very soon you are going to surprise yourself when you produce something Nigella would be proud of!

I just hopes it works - if it doesn't, don't despair, just come back to me, and we'll try to tweak it a bit.

Thank you Atropos, I have not tried this yet as my house mate ( bless her!:innocent0002: ) surprised me and cooked me a bunch of things from the diet ( even though she doesn't agree with it ) because she was concerned about what i would eat, so I am slowly eating them all!.

Needless to say I went out and got her a nice present to thank her for that kindness of hers... what a lovely girl!

I will let you know when I try the Muffins. Thank you so much for all your help!!:hug99:

Zeniths ( oh for crying out loud... Apologies but my iPad keeps changing names and it likes you as Zeniths so please play along and in my mind I am calling you the X name!!!!)

My confession also, is I am a domestic mess. In fact very like Zoe wanna maker in "My Family" sitcom!,
When I first found this site I thought it was pre translation from France as I didn't understand a scooby what people were going on about, and the mention of gallettes gave me the willies. :D

But panic not, take a deep breath and as others have suggested tackle one thing at a time. ( and if you want to feel really good read my yesterday's post re: gallette disaster).

I am just sticking to basics and learning along the way, in fact how I have fed two kids is pretty spectacular, on the other hand it may explain why they are all stick thin :confused:

Good luck and don't forget google is amazing.. If I need to know an oven temp I just look up what I'm cooking and it gives me all the info!!

Dolly

:8855: you had me in stitches with the Zenith name....lol yes my name is a difficult one so please let your Ipad call me whatever.hahahaha

Thanks for your answer good to know I am not the only one who is culinary challenged;)!

What a fantastic thread - should be stickied as there as such a wealth of great advice!

Could I just say how much we who are new to the diet appreciate the time and effort you more experienced dukaners take to provide us with support and information. :worthy:

I think cooking is just another case of 'practice makes perfect', oh and trial and error. The recipes and meal ideas here are fab but if you find that they don't turn out well the first time, you will usually have an idea of why so you can tweak the way you do it the next time.

I am another fan of the Foreman Grill. Use mine ALL the time - would fry eggs on it if it would let me :D. Cleaning it probably takes the most time but I always clean it when it is still pretty hot and that makes it easier.

Love seeing all the yukky fat flowing out!

Anyway, keep at it - very soon you are going to surprise yourself when you produce something Nigella would be proud of!

Thank you wheesh... I will do!!! will let you all know when I make my first thing.

I am going to try the gallete today as it seems a bit easier and then move one to the mufins

Fingers crossed:p

Well, I did the gallete for the first time. Is it supposed to look like a pancake? Mine did. And taste really insipid. I must admit I fallowed the book recipe as it was a first time for me and decided to go the simplest of ways but I must def add something else because the consistency and taste are nothing to write home about ( If I Did it well, that is ):sigh:

I have a brand new non stick pan... and used the guidance of someone here who said to put it on Max until hot and then lower it after pouring the mix in and cook for a few minutes. I think it was Atropos who really is God sent in this forum.

Anyway despite the taste, this has given me the confidence to try the muffins which I will do tomorrow. Will post results:rolleyes::fingerscrossed:

Thanks ladies for ALL your help!:thankyou:

Congratulations! Getting your first ever galette right is almost unheard off - my first five were disasters. You are probably a natural at this cooking lark.

As to the flavour - if I want a sweet galette I add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon splenda to the mix, and then grate in a bit of nutmeg. It's wonderful hot out of the pan with with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of splenda.

If I want a savory galette, to eat with steak or egg or mushrooms (or all three!), then I add a pinch of salt, some black pepper and a sprinkle of dried mixed herbs. Yum.

(You are probably like my sister - for her first 35 years "cooking" meant pressing a button on the microwave. Then she married and was expected to cook dinner parties.... after a few weeks of panic she discovered a new talent and passion, and now she is the best cook in the family, and caters regularly for 20-30 people as part of her job.

Thank you so much Atropos!!! really??? did you get it wrong 5 times??? I thought I got it ok because it was the easiest thing to do? oh well I am soooooooo pleased :p

Well since I was such a success then i am going to do the muffins that you so kindly game me tonight!!

Will let you know how I did tomorrow!!!;)

Well....did the muffins.. they look terrible!!!:cry:

First I followed your recipe Atropos to the letter but thought the paste was too thick so I added a bit of skimmed milk then I thought it was too runny so had to add a tea spoon more of oat bran and half a spoon more of quark. I then thought I had too much mixture so did 4 muffins, I ended up not reaching the top level of the Silicon baking tray... the end result is they look yellow..like souffle that started to raise but then deflated.

Have not tasted them yet today as I have had my quota of Oat bran but I am not really looking forward to eating them tomorrow.
:ashamed0005:

They probably don't taste as bad as you think they will.
I do feel for you. At least you have tried. I am on day 33 of Dukan and STILL eat my oatbran stirred into my yogurt. I haven't even tried a galette.
In a week when you're popping them out of the oven like a mini little Nigella you'll laugh at it all.
Just give them a try tomorrow. If they're that bad don't eat them, the dog (if you have one) will probably appreciate one as a little treat. Dust yourself off and give it another go.

um - I'm not sure how to break the bad news, but yellow and a bit like a deflated souffle tends to be how dukan muffins turn out....

They may taste better than they look?

Back