Any one recovered from depression? Updated since drs

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Ok I've had depression before I fell pregnant with my 2nd baby and was on tablets think they were called something like Citalopram can't remember exact name. I stopped them as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was fine all along until about February this year when I went on them again but stopped them again in June.

Background about me (some of you know) I've got 2 kids one is nearly 3 the other is 10 mths old. I started back to work end of June working 3 days a week which I absolutely love. My H works nights & I never see him.

At the moment I'm feeling like this:

I'm really tired all the time but just been putting this down to working again and looking after 2 wee ones.

I feel as if I get no help from my H and that I never ever see him & when he is here my toddler plays up as he lets him get away with everything. I spend every evening sat on my own as I can't get out anywhere because H is asleep for work & the kids are in bed. I try to get out & do something with wee ones on a Thurs & Fri but sometimes I really can't be bothered & don't want to.

I really can't be bothered to do the cleaning/tidying up or housework.

I sometimes feel that I wish I didn't have the children & they just go away(but I love them dearly & this isn't like me)

I wish I could just runaway from everything & think what is the point of life??

We're got some financial problems but nothing major & they are in control now I'm working again we're slowly getting there.

I also feel that I don't want to be with my H & that I should leave as I get no love/affection etc I was out a few weeks ago & was chatted up by another man who wanted to see me & it made me feel great but I'm not silly I know an affair would just make things worse. We're always arguing & he just works/sleeps all the time but I am thankful that he has a job with the way things are but feel really lonely.

I feel as if I really can't cope & I'm falling apart & that the kids are being affected by this.

I think I'm depressed again....H doesn't want me going on the tablets again but I don't know what to do??

Do you think that this is depression? or is this just normal life for someone with little ones, H says that this is life??if it is it sucks..

I am seeing the dr tomorrow but really needed to write this down & get it of my chest.

Has anyone actually had depression & come of the tablets & been ok again? I just see no end to this. I'm normally a happy bubbly person but feel as if I have no life. H says I'm self centred & just think of myself etc etc...

I understand that I should be grateful for what I've got etc as there are people out there worse off than me, or with terminal illness & they don't moan.

What should I do??

Ok I've been to the drs, he said he wanted to check my bloods for lots of things before putting me on tablets as he said I mite be low in something making me tired, irritable etc. He has given me a prescription for anti deps but says don't get it till I get the test results. He said to call him Tues for the results & we'll take it from there. Thanks for all your support

Last edited:
I have had depression in the past,and recovered. I still have my ups and downs as i thin you can be 'prone' to it/ But the ups far outweigh the downs.
You have a lot on your plate at the moment and are right to be speaking to your doctor. Personally in the past I have seen taking medication as a failure but it really isnt, it's the depression that makes you think like that. Think of them more as a crutch to give you some support while your mind sorts itself out and you are able to cope without them.

Dont suffer it on your own. Please feel free to pm me if your want to chat

Hi Big Bear,
Having read your post I really feel for you and it does sound to me as if you're depressed. It also sounds like you have a bit of an insensitive other half! I'm no expert on depression and luckily haven't suffered from it either, but I do know that you shouldn't just stop taking citalopram tablets. You should wean yourself off them gradually to avoid depression returning. Did you do that when you stopped? Have a chat with the Dr tomorrow and he/she will be able to advise you further re meds etc but don't say no to them just because your husband doesn't think you should take them. You need to put yourself first as a happy you = happy children!
Good luck!

Dearest Karen, I want to weep for you, you sound so sad and unhappy whilst still trying to convince yourself you are lucky and grateful for what you have.

That means squat !!! When you are as depressed and as lonely as you are you need t beat a path to your doctor's post haste !!

There is absolutely no reason why you should suffer this mental torture in this day and age and if it takes popping a pill, pop one. We are talking about your long term happiness here and you can not face your husband and have the talk with him that you need to have until you are better yourself.

You love your kids and once you have your mental status sorted out you will be able to cope again.

Now is not the time to help you sort out your domestic life. You need to sort you out. So off to your doctor my girl.

You deserve better..............
bighug.gif

Thank you, I'm off to the drs tomorrow & I'm going to tell him exactly how I'm feeling. Then once I've me sorted out I can think about sorting everything else out.

Its really difficult as none of my family are here & I've only got my friends who are understanding & listen but they've got their own things going on & they've also small children too.

Thanks for all your replies, I just want to be happy again & hopefully I will soon...XXXX

I have had depression in the past - suffered for 10 years without acknowledging it & to a man (& woman) my family & friends were just plain relieved i got help in the end. My most memorable mome t being when i told my 70 oddyear old gruff old grandad & he said 'no sh*t sherlock - you're the only one who didn't know'made me feel a bit silly tbh!

I was on prozac for 10 months, & i've been off them for 5 years. Since being off them i have had no bouts of depression - but one of work related stress which i can easily see would have turned to depression if i'd let it fester - thankfully due to not sticking my head in the sand i was able to stop that being the case.

You can recover, with time & in my case counselling.

Hope you are able to get the help you need xxx

I had severe PND after having my Dort...I can't really remember much of the first three months!
The Dr put me on Dothiepin which made me worse I had to crawl to the kitchen and drink a jug of filter coffee just to get dressed!

A few years later I was on Citalopram and they worked really well.

Your Other half is talking out of his bahoonie when he says he doesn't want you on pills! Would he walk around with a broken leg...or get it plastered? Forgive me but maybe it suits him for you to be depressed as you won't stand up for yourself? Or maybe he takes it personally, like he can't make you happy. Depression is a chemical imbalance not a bout of the grumps!
So you take the pills the Dr offers!!!

When you are feeling better tell your bloke that you need help, and that from now on you are having Monday mornings off (assuming it's a monday to friday work pattern, if not whatever day is suitable).
Monday morning you will do something for YOU, do something for you.
Monday afternoon he can go to bed.
Now all this will make you feel undeservedly guilty, it's a fact they stamp 'guilty' on your forehead as soon as you give birth! Ignore tht feeling it's false and it lies.
But to try to offset that make Sunday afternoon your clean up day, Get the 3 year old involved and PLEASE teach them to pick up after themselves, always always push the limits slightly of their capabilities, it does their confidence good.

Now your bloke will be feeling all put upon because he has to be a dad one day a week, so set aside one night a month for a date,(you may need to psych yourself up for the energy to AHEM 'be nice' but try, it helps keep you close ;)) ask a friend to babysit, repay her by babysitting for her one evening a month. If you have friends who are in the hiatus between kids growing up and grandchildren, ask them for help, I know I would jump at the chance to look after little uns again!

Most of all go easy on yourself, bringing up children is bloody hard.
Being on your own night after night can be soul destroying (I've done it for 14 years).
Looking after a house is hard work.

Congratulate yourself for all of this! Single handed....you're amazing!

Yes I too have suffered from depression & what helped me was realising in comparison to my friend (who was terminally ill) my life wasn't that bad, once I'd realised that I then started the path to recovery & once you 'come out' at the other end life really is brill.

I don't know, other than tablets, what you personally need to help you on your way to recovery. For me I bought lots of self help books & it is hard but slowly I put into practice what they said.

I know you've have friends, do you have a bestest friend who will talk to you honestly & help & encourage you on your way to recovery, if not could counciling help, I mean just for you & not you & your partner.

I know at the moment everything looks poo, it is a very slow recovery & in time things will be better.

I hope all goes well today;)

Shirleen said:
I had severe PND after having my Dort...I can't really remember much of the first three months!
The Dr put me on Dothiepin which made me worse I had to crawl to the kitchen and drink a jug of filter coffee just to get dressed!

A few years later I was on Citalopram and they worked really well.

Your Other half is talking out of his bahoonie when he says he doesn't want you on pills! Would he walk around with a broken leg...or get it plastered? Forgive me but maybe it suits him for you to be depressed as you won't stand up for yourself? Or maybe he takes it personally, like he can't make you happy. Depression is a chemical imbalance not a bout of the grumps!
So you take the pills the Dr offers!!!

When you are feeling better tell your bloke that you need help, and that from now on you are having Monday mornings off (assuming it's a monday to friday work pattern, if not whatever day is suitable).
Monday morning you will do something for YOU, do something for you.
Monday afternoon he can go to bed.
Now all this will make you feel undeservedly guilty, it's a fact they stamp 'guilty' on your forehead as soon as you give birth! Ignore tht feeling it's false and it lies.
But to try to offset that make Sunday afternoon your clean up day, Get the 3 year old involved and PLEASE teach them to pick up after themselves, always always push the limits slightly of their capabilities, it does their confidence good.

Now your bloke will be feeling all put upon because he has to be a dad one day a week, so set aside one night a month for a date,(you may need to psych yourself up for the energy to AHEM 'be nice' but try, it helps keep you close ;)) ask a friend to babysit, repay her by babysitting for her one evening a month. If you have friends who are in the hiatus between kids growing up and grandchildren, ask them for help, I know I would jump at the chance to look after little uns again!

Most of all go easy on yourself, bringing up children is bloody hard.
Being on your own night after night can be soul destroying (I've done it for 14 years).
Looking after a house is hard work.

Congratulate yourself for all of this! Single handed....you're amazing!

Fab post shirleen.

Can't add anything bb, but good luck. I think you've identified the issue(s) and the next step is to deal & work with them.

Xxxx

Ok I've been to the drs, he said he wanted to check my bloods for lots of things before putting me on tablets as he said I mite be low in something making me tired, irritable etc. He has given me a prescription for anti deps but says don't get it till I get the test results. He said to call him Tues for the results & we'll take it from there. Thanks for all your support

Oh good, now look after you! You are a valuable commodityin your family, imagine your family if you were out of action!!
Remind your husband too!

That is good BB you have started the process of getting better. It could be your thyroid you know.

hugs xxxxxx

Back