Any other diabetics on cambridge diet?

ukchris

I am a type 2 diabetic taking metformin and Gliclazide,
my doctor said as theres no problems just keep taking these tablets on the diet, does anyone else take these tablets? I am just wondering if they slow down any weight loss?

Hi, I'm diabetic type 2 and on metformin and was on Gliclazide until yesterday when my nurse changed it to Prandin. My doctor told me to take my bloods regularly and if it got to low then not to take the Gliclazide. Its ok with the metformin but the Gliclazide does take your blood sugar down dramatically and as you are not having many carbs it can get too low. I found that doing SS made my readings quite low (about 7 when they were about 11/12). Just keep an eye on your blood sugar by taking it regularly and if it gets too low then discuss with your doctor about another option or leaving aside the Gliclazide. The one I'm taking now (Prandin) you only take when you have a high carb meal and it goes through your system really quickly to get the blood sugar down. I'm still taking the Metformin as instructed.

PS, the reason my nurse took me off Gliclazide is she was concerned it was making me gain weight (can be one of the side effects) so maybe if you are overweight then talk to your doctor about a different drug.

Back