Any SW wine lushes out there.....

Here's a top tip for gin lovers that an American friend gave me. Put a measure of gin in a small spray bottle. Pour your slimline tonic, with ice and a slice in a glass and then spritz a whoosh of gin on top. One measure goes a long way and gives all the aroma of gin to your drinks for a lot fewer syns and less alcohol. I find after the first full G&T I can no longer really taste the gin anyway. That may just be me :D

That is brilliant. :clap:

Oh I am a lush too! I am a bit of a social butterfly and rarely a weekend goes by that I dont have something (usually a few things) on. I love to go to the pub and watch the footie etc. So I save the majority of my syns for the weekend. Its working for me so far, the losses may only be small but at least I know I can still enjoy my life and my weekends and lose weight. The slower it comes off, the longer it stays off! :D

Me too, trying to only drink on Fridays and Saturday's from now on xx

Must also confess to being a wino. Have switched to g & t but still have the odd small glass. I did try the banrock station light as it is less sins but it is very sweet. It was not a patch on my usual Pinot grigio!

Glad I'm not the only one missing my wine :D

I had a couple of gins last night whilst my friend drank wine. Arggggghhhh lol

Last edited:
Didn't have any syns yesterday so that I can use yesterday's and today's to have some tonight at a catch-up with friends. Yay.

Enjoy them. I'm saving mine now for Saturday as out for a birthday and it will be a heavy one on the wine front.

So refreshing ladies that I'm not the only one!! Cheese and wine my two favourite things!! I drink vodka and soda with fresh lime wedge when I'm out as soda is free most places so not as expensive as other shorts! But in terms of wine I try to not drink it very often as I can't stop once I start!

Well I discovered a 275ml bottle of becks is only 5syns so that's good to know. I'm not a beer drinker as such but sometimes I like a cold beer and don't drink them quickly or many of them.

Vodka and soda with lime sounds nice :) Gin, lime cordial and soda is nice too but never know if cordial in pubs is no added sugar? Good to know about beer too cos often u just fancy one with ur lunch or just a treat in the sun ;-) Will soon be beer garden weather :-D

I'm afraid most cordials in pubs are the fully leaded (i.e. copious amounts of sugar) variety.

God knows why as it just seems a ludicrous waste of calories/syns for the sake of a bit of blackcurrant or lime flavour. And it's not like the sugar-free varieties are any more expensive or difficult to get hold of. Old habits die hard I guess.

Chain coffee houses like Costa and Starbucks have managed to get with the programme and introduce sugar-free syrups for their coffees - I think it's time the Great British Pub gave its head a shake too.

Ho hum, I guess it's a slice of lime bludgeoned to death to get more flavour out of it. Can't wait to be able to afford a few nights/days out again. Stupid studying and saving up :(

It's funny how your taste buds change as you get older. i absolutely love red wine but i now seem to get migraines after, no matter how little i have, so i tried drinking vodka. i used to have it with lime or lemonade (diet) but you dont usually get these in pubs, so i tried it with slimline tonic, which i really hated, and guess what, i love it.

also i have bought a bottle of alcohol free merlot to try, i am hoping i dont get a migraine and at only 3syns for a huge glass i cant wait to try it.

By the way I'm sooo looking forward to beer garden weather! I WILL be able to idle away long afternoons in said beer gardens and sip pinot grigio whilst wearing a size 10 T-shirt this time round!

Woohoo! Beer Gardens! :D As for slimline tonic: I hate it too but you never know, I may try it now I'm older and like it. I'm guessing tastes better than soda, although more expensive. You'd think pubs would sell diet lemonade? They sell diet coke so I don't see the difference, so osilly :(

I looooove slimline tonic but agree it's maddening that they never sell diet lemonade, as diet lemonade is my non-alcoholic drink of choice when I'm really thirsty. I guess Coke and Diet Coke are just a lot more popular.

Can't stand the stuff myself.

I don't have a problem with diet coke but sometimes I really don't want the caffeine and diet lemonade just goes better with some things. Seems stupid to me. Maybe coke/diet syrup is cheaper? No idea. Some investigation is needed ;)

I have a terrible diet coke habit so futile for me to drink it voddy as its not a treat and goes too quick so costs in syns and dosh!

I'm day off today and I've done a seven mile stomp, my shopping and have the afternoon pottering at home. That's when I want a bottle of wine :-(

Back