Anyone been to California??

louisehj

We are looking to go to California in 2013(sounds a long time off but it will be here before we know it). I was wondering if anyone else has been. If so, did you do a package holiday or did you book flights and car hire seperately. Also, what are the must do's for when we are there, There will be 4 adults and 2 children (well teenagers) 13 & 12.

Thanks in advance.

I love San Francisco. Beautiful city, so much to see and do, doesn't get too hot.

Best thing - go up to the top of the hill to see the Coit Tower, then walk back down via the Filbert Steps. Lovely little homes and gardens, and humming birds in the trees.

I love San Francisco - hire bikes and cycle over the golden gate bridge and down into sausolito - it is sooo pretty!! Sit in a waterfront restaurant - sw choices of course!!! Then either cycle back (although up a steep hill) or like me because I've usually had a couple of wines... Get the boat back with the bikes! Such a lovely day out! Only been to San Diego for a couple days but also lovely chilled out place! LA is great but it's MASSIVE!! do many places to go!!! Sounds like you've got a fab trip to plan!!

Also in LA you can go to many theme parks - will they be 12 and 13 then or older? If theyre older and thrill seekers take them to 6 flags theme park - it's AMAZING! the rides are the biggest ive ever been on, brilliant!! If not you've got Disney and universal which are both fab too!!

As you are driving, you are already going to be doing one of the best things on offer, which is the drive down the Pacific highway - stunning!

We drove from San Franscisco down to San Diego over a few days, stopping at Santa Barbera and Monteray on the way. We were unfortunate in that we actually had some pretty ropey weather by California standards but it was still beautiful.

Apart from the stint driving through LA to get to San Diego - we had no intention of stopping there, but there's really no way around it - spent nearly an entire day getting from one side of the city to the other - and it was probably the best sunshine we had too and we were stuck in the car all day!

Echo the sentiments about bikes in San Fran - cycling across Golden Gate Bridge is brilliant (although packed). I definitely disagree with the person who said there is nothing to do there - as well as just wandering around admiring the city and its amazing streets (Lombard Street is just mental!), you have Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, boat trips, and it makes a great base for day trips to wineries which is always a great day out.

Also - try the Segway tour - its brilliant fun!

Went to San Francisco and San Diego last year.Going again in Sept.:)

Depends what your interested in.I love San Diego as we stay in Hotel Bahia resort which is a short walk to the sea front and about a 3 mile walk to Sea World and about 30 min drive to the zoo.We went to the zoo and Sea World all the time.It was lovely as it was quite so you could just walk around and stop for something to eat and drink without being rushed.

Get the Virgin USA brochure and do a package holiday.We always book hotel,flights,car with the same tour operator.

We only stay in San Francisco for a couple of days as there isn't much to do there.

Why not go to Florida as there is plenty to do.
I also liked New York.Trying to save up to go there again next year.

Hi there, thanks for all the suggestions. We did Florida last year and in 2008 too so was thinking of somewhere different. The kids will be 12 & 13, 1 of them is definetley a thrill seeker so the theme parks are a must, the other one is getting there so by the time we go she should be brave enough to go on some of the rides.

Isn't California supposed to go in 2012? ;)

Seriously though, it's been a few years since I was out there but San Diego is beautiful. San Francisco was fun because I challenged myself to see how many of the places in the Star Trek movie I could visit while there.

I went with my teenage boys a few years ago - last holiday together. At the time I was working with lots of Americans so got their advice on where to go,

We did San Fransisco (and the bike trip described earlier - fabulous), white water rafting, Lake Taho, Yosemite national Park (best bit) the a week on the beach at Santa Cruz. Drove down to Monteray - beautiful.

Santa Cruz a bit near to San Fransisco so had cooler weather - the only thing I would have changed is to have a week on the beach a bit further away.

Best holiday ever.

You'll have a great time!

Back