Anyone else have weigh in day blowouts?

Sarahj82

I know I have only been doing SW a week and I only lost 1.5lb but after my weigh in on Monday evening I ate a ready meal and 5 Black Magic chocolates and am now panicking about the damage I may have done. Does anyone else treat themselves on weigh in day or was I as completely and utterly stupid as I feel?

I used to when I followed slimming world in the past, and it personalły never affected my weight loss. Decided to be more careful and aware this time around, though, because whilst it's ok to have treats I was rewarding my weight loss with food, which isnt teaching me about healthy eating.

Yeah I do/did but I went overboard like fish and chips and a sweet. I would say generally me and my family still lost a significant amount of weight but it does make you think what if I hadn't. Just restarted and I'm gonna try not to, which is made easier as my dad has to eat healthy due to having a heart attack

Loads of people in my group have this 'Treat Thursdays' (our weigh in is on a thurs!) and leave group to get a takeaway. I did at the start but actually found it made me less determined to want to do well the rest of the week, id have the junk food then end up thinking i wanted it again on friday, or write off the week and think ill try harder the week after.

Instead i now leave group determined to have a good week, eat well that night and if i am going to have a naughty day or extra Syns i do it at the weekend with a few more glasses of wine or if we go for a meal out, that way im not having blow out on weigh day and syns on a bad day if we have weekend plans too. Each to their own, i just find leaving Group full of meal ideas and plans to lose that week make me more likely to stick to it and have the odd treat than if i binge on weigh day! :)

Shygirl84 I completely identify, I used to reward after weigh in too with food, but haven't been this time because it sort of feels like I'm defeating the purpose , and because I'd rather reward with something else that leaves me feeling good instead of a blowout I'll then feel guilty about and spend the rest of the week worrying over (which is what I did last time).

It also means when I have a real reason to want to treat myself (like birthday cake!) I feel like I have space, instead of feeling like I have no flexibility or syns left because I had a blow out on weigh in night.

I tend to have the most syns on WI night but I still monitor my Syns. My upper limit is 20 syns maximum and most other days I have 5 syns so it does even out over the week.
Going in blindfolded, having a black hole is not my style and is counter-productive. Our area manager had covered for our group and had warned us against this behaviour as it does harm losses.
Sure, you may still have a loss but if you had stayed fully in control, how much more would you have lost?

I did and regretted it this week as I just felt disappointed in myself. I had a whacking great slice of mum's vicky sponge!

Nah, never say the point, who want to have the spend the rest of the week catching up . I don't use food as a treat any more, thats part of the reason I got into trouble in the first place lol. If I want something I have it but syn it, it doesn't have to be a particular day and it gets me away from the whole binge fast cycle

I get weighed Thurday evening so will have my dinner after group. This is nearly always lots of pasta with a generous dollop of pesto and grated cheese.
It's the only meal I don't syn all week and although I don't go overboard, I really enjoy it!

I used too years ago, weigh in then go home and have a weigh in day meal. But now, I don't, as I used to jump back on the scales at home the next morning and stress over the damage done....it wasn't worth it.

I don't have one either, I usually find a nice recipe and try to adapt it to make it SW friendly and that's my treat after weigh in. Boring but having a blow out is too dangerous for me, I'm frightened it would never end!!

Hi, yes I have done this in the past then felt guilty all week but now I go to a later class I eat as little as possible before I go for weigh in then when I come home I have my 2 hi fi bars with a cup of coffee then a proper sw meal after that and I feel better for it. Do you go to an evening class my class is 3.30 on a Wednesday and I'm usually home by 5.15 so this works for me but I wouldn't want to go any longer without food x

What about treating yourself with non food things? I love Pandora and charms and I think there's a weight loss charm group on fb. They set a mini goal and treat themselves when they get there. I'm not on it, spend too much on jewelery as it is!! Or put the money you would have spent on a takeaway towards something else as a treat?

I don't personally, as I just don't see the point. For me it'd defeat the whole point of why I'm doing this; that food would be great in the moment, but isn't going to make my week, and not having it isn't going to break my week. In the long term, I'm aiming to give myself treat days, and have blowout days when I really need them/want them. I don't think making it a routine would help.

someones siggy on here, i forget whos, really struck a cord with me last year.

'dont reward yourself with food, you are not a dog'

now whenever i think about food as a 'treat' this pops into my head and i dont do it.

i echo what clairej03 has said.

binging on bad stuff will only make you want it more. if you have to have it, factor it into your week.

xx

edited to add, i have done weigh in day blowouts in the past, and im still trying to lose weight. you can draw your own conclusions from that. xx

It's human and perfectly normal, alas! Intellectually, I *know* that the mistake I've just made is best forgotten and won't make much difference if I get back on track straight away, but a 'may as well be hung for a sheep' mentality takes over if I'm not careful, and before you know it one tiny mistake has spiralled into one great big mistake because I've convinced myself I've blown it. Best thing is to get right back on the Slimming World horse, dust yourself off and count it as however many syns it was, but in reality I have to battle myself not to follow up with a family-sized bag of Revels. Human nature, I'm afraid... good luck; it is possible to do it!

i am one of those who eat what I want after WI and still lose, but then I do have lots to go! I then have the next 6 days on plan and use my syns like normal. If I was going out for a meal in the week then I wouldn't go mad after WI. Each to their own at the end of the day and as long as you draw a line under it and next day get back on plan then you'll likely be ok.

Back