Anyone ever been to a Step Aerobics class?

x-Katie-x

Gold Member
.... and if so was it okay?

There is a class at my gym on a Thursday and a Monday and am seriously tempted to give it a go tomorrow --- any advice would help :)

I done it some years ago and it was hard. It's high impact and it was really really knackering!

I used to (used to!) do step classes 3-4 nights per week in my slim and fit days. I loved it, its addictive. Give it a try and if you dont like it or its too much you can always slip out of the class. :character00115:

Cheers, I think I might just give it a go ---- Vicky I'm more worried about the fact that I might 'slip' and break my neck ..... or just very un-subtley leg it from the class :)

I also used to go in my skinnier days - only I was so uncoordinated I could only get the legs OR the arms right at one time!!! I did enjoy it but spent most of the time PMSL!!!!! Tis hard work though

I think if I tried step class now id end up having a heart attack, I was 7 stone lighter the last time I was there lol

I love step, its fab, although if I lost the stepp Id usually laugh so hard I couldnt get it back!! I used to be addicted to Chers video for step (how sad!!)

Cheers everyone - thanks for all the info.

I went to the class, all full of high hopes and it was awful - didn't even get so far as trying the step! It turned out the class was half hour aerobics to be followed by half hour step - well I thought that would be okay as I've done and enjoyed aerobics classes before. Anyway the teacher starts it off and firstly didn't do what she should have and checked whether I'd ever done it before/have any injuries etc (it's in my gym so I know they're meant to check) and though it's meant to be for people at all stages they almost immediately went into all these complicated routines that they'd all learnt in the weeks before etc and no matter how I tried I had no chance of learning it so after doing and trying for 10/15 mins I thought stuff it - life's too short for this, picked up my bag and left.

Now the bad thing about this is that I still didn't get to try the Step but the good thing is that I know darn well that 6 stone ago I would never ever have had the nerve to leave like that, I'd have suffered through it and hated it ---- honestly it wasn't that I couldn't do it because of not having the energy etc it was just a truly crap class and I thought 'nah'. So no step but at least I'm proud of the fact that I could walk out smiling...... and when I got home I did some skipping in the garden and then 'step'ped' on my Wii to my hearts content :D

Please dont be put off. I found it difficult as I have zero co-ordination but I kept going back and eventually started to get it. I dont really go anymore (gym isnt on at child friendly hours).
When I did get it I still couldnt do the arm movements, they kinda flapped around at the side.
Another thing that put me off was the people who were obviously great at it and were bouncing around on their step like they were made to do it.
If co-ordination is an issue then can I suggest a bums and tums class. I lurveeeee them.

Step classes are great fun however they are very hard and can be quite demanding choreographically.

Also if you have knee problems I'd not do it.

Good luck

I'm gonna have a look around and see if I can find a class somewhere - one that's taught by somebody different ;)

I'm gonna have a look around and see if I can find a class somewhere - one that's taught by somebody different ;)

Where in Lancashire are you? If you're anywhere near Preston I can recommend a few different classes.

You musn't give up after your first go! I did my first step class a couple of months ago. I have the co-ordination of a drunk chimpanzee. I hated it, felt very self conscience but I kept going back and bit by bit you pick up the routines. I still have the same experience when she introduces them but I live with it and just do my own thing if I don't pick it up easily. You have to remember that some of the people may have been going for months/years so of course they are going to know the routines. I really enjoy step now, even though I don't always 'get it.'

omg i went to a step class once and my legs/thighs were in pain for over a week! it totally worked but i couldnt bear to make my legs in pain again
its really fun and if you can do it then go for it :D

Back