Anyone got a recipe for nice chick pea curry?

Trash

Still fighting
Hi
I've been wanting to try chick pea's for ages but never got up the courage - wondered if anyone's got a tried and tested recipe for curry with them? ;)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I've been wanting to try chick pea's for ages but never got up the courage - wondered if anyone's got a tried and tested recipe for curry with them? ;)

Thanks

I haven't ... but mmmm love chick pea's :) and I'm fussy :) They're good in Chilli. Oh actually the "I'm being good" meal I get from the Indian has them in the sauce and they go really well.

Helpful aren't I? lol

Cheers Rach will take a look!

Twiggy whats the "i'm being good meal" from your indian i'm intrigued!! ha ha

hehe it's Meat Koftas (meatballs!) in a chickpea and tomato spicy sauce - is gorgeous ... and not the creamy kind of curry I normally go for. And because the sauce has chick peas in it, i don't have it with rice ... so it's me being good lol

This is a lovely recipe for Chickpea Curry and I have made it a few times.

CHICKPEA CURRY

Serves 4
Free on green

Cooking spray
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon lazy chilli
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 green cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
150g thinly sliced mushrooms
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 to 4 tablespoons wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 can cooked chickpeas
2 potatoes, scrubbed and diced
400ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato puree (1/2 syn)
1 tub low fat yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat cooking spray in a large sauté pan.

Cook the onionover medium heat for 2 minutes.

Stir in the ginger, chillies,garlic, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods,bay leaf, and cayenne and cook for 2 to 3 minuteslonger, or until the onion is very soft.

Increase the heat to high and stir in the mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until most of the mushroom liquid has evaporated.

Stir in the vinegarand bring to a boil.

Stir in the chickpeas, potatoes, 2 cups vegetablestock, tomato paste, yoghurt, salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Add stock as necessary to keep the stew moist. Justbefore serving, correct the seasoning, adding vinegar,salt, or cayenne.

Wow thanks Lydia thats sounds good ....thats my aim next week to cook something different. Rest of family can like it or lump it and will prob go chippy!

i love chick peas and if you want to cheat asda do chick pea dhal in a can which is really nice ( actually i think lots of supermarkets do)

chickpeas go really well with mushrooms - I have that all the time if I have a curry - mushroom and channa bhuna - totally gorgeous.

Must try Lydia's recipe - it sounds delicious. x

Its a lovely recipe, its an Oldchem Core one

Back