Anyone have any sugar substitute tips?

Cloggy

Mostly Harmless
I have been following SW for over 3 weeks now (I know this still makes me a newbie) but I really have problems leaving the sugar out of my coffee. I have 1 tsp in every cup and have about 4 cups a day, this means I have 4 syns a day just on my drinks :eek:
The worst thing is I really hate the after taste of artificial sweeteners, I even got my Mum to send me a box of Splenda over from the UK (after trying several other brands), but even this has an after taste :yuk:
Although I'm very strict on following the original plan (generally having 3 "other" syns a day) and I've lost 13lbs up to now the weight loss definately slowed down last week.
Is there anything else I could use as a sweetener that doesn't have that awful aftertaste?
I looked up brown sugar and honey but they both have 1 syn each.

It's looking more and more like I'll have to give up sugar in my coffee but it just won't be the same :(

Sorry if this has been posted before (I would imagine that it would have been discussed to death) but if I search for "sugar" and "replacement" or "substitute" I don't come up with much :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Cloggy

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the artificial sweetener! Personally I can't tell the difference. I think 1 syn for 1 tsp is probably the lowest syn value sugar/sweetener out there!

I always use Splenda, the white and the brown version, I use it in drinks and in my baking, I love it.

Hi Cloggy

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the artificial sweetener! Personally I can't tell the difference. I think 1 syn for 1 tsp is probably the lowest syn value sugar/sweetener out there!

Thanks for the info Evil Penguin, guess it's going to have to be abstinence then (from sugar I mean.). :sigh:

I always use Splenda, the white and the brown version, I use it in drinks and in my baking, I love it.

I'm not yet sure if I prefer it with Splenda or simply without.
The trouble is that I don't like milk in my coffee, so the sugar just takes the edge off it.

Last edited:
Are you trying the powdered sweeteners or the tablet ones?

just seen this conversation on the syn value page! :

Hi there! Could anyone tell me how many syns are in Perfect Sweet (the xylitol you can buy in Waitrose), please? I like it much better than other sweetners, plus it's good for my teeth, so I hope the syns aren't too high. :)

hi

just looked this up online

it's 1/2 syn for 4g.

I use The Groovy food company agave necer in my tea etc - it's 1/2 syn per teaspoon and is lovely - no sweetener taste but just the right amount of sweetness!

HTH:)

i don't drink tea or coffee so hope this helps :)

xxx

This is of no use to the Op as its UK only, but I'm signed up as a bzz agent and they have just sent me a box of splenda and a tub of the splenda tablets too. If you want more info and to try to sign up the link is*

Last edited by a moderator:
Cloggy - have you a health food store nearby? If you do have a look for F.O.S - Fructooligosaccharide (here made by Biocare and about £6 for 250g).

Its a form of pre-biotic and good for digestion but it has the advantage of being a natural sweetener that is good for you in small doses! It apparently has no calorific value either.

Have a google for it - its very popular in Japan!

xx:)

Why not continue enjoying sugar in your coffee, but cut down on how many times a day you have coffee. Maybe that's a non-negotiable in a taste way, but you could replace 2 cups with tea or water?

Cloggy - have you a health food store nearby? If you do have a look for F.O.S - Fructooligosaccharide (here made by Biocare and about £6 for 250g).

Its a form of pre-biotic and good for digestion but it has the advantage of being a natural sweetener that is good for you in small doses! It apparently has no calorific value either.

Have a google for it - its very popular in Japan!

xx:)

Thanks for the tip cupcake, we have a small place close by, unfortunately a health food supermarket recently closed down near here, so I'm afraid I'll have to do a bit of searching :(

Why not continue enjoying sugar in your coffee, but cut down on how many times a day you have coffee. Maybe that's a non-negotiable in a taste way, but you could replace 2 cups with tea or water?

Lucky, unfortunately I am an addict, especially in Holland where everyone drinks fresh coffee and yes I get DT's if I don't get my fix.
I know Hollands the land of legalised soft drugs but it's the coffee that'll get ya ;)
BTW I recently cut back on my coffee intake.

I would like to thank you guys for helping out but I guess being a newbie I haven't earned the Privilege of a thanks button yet. A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread :)

Last edited:
Dont you need to try something about 10 times to get used to it?

I'm so used to Splenda now that normal sugar is far too sweet!

If you keep trying it you will get used to it! I drink my coffee black too!(save milky coffee for my beloved starbucks skinny caramel macchiato!!) I'm currently trying to get used to cheap supermarket coffee rather than my favourite Dowe Egberts!

I find tablet sweetener in hot drinks is much better than the powder as they can tend to give a froth!

the other thing to try is Xylitol i see someone mentioned it earlier, it has a texture of sugar but is good in coffee.

I like the silver spoon brown sweetner in coffee aswell.

I noticed the other day silver spoon advertise a sugar called half spoon, dont know what it tastes like presume its half the calories or something.

How about having 1/1 ratio of sugar and sweetner in each cup?

Carla x

I switched from sugar to sweetener, but I'm suspicious of the chemicals in most of these, so I've started taking my coffee with just milk.

Not so good to start with, but now after a couple of weeks, I'm starting to like it, and can better appreciate the taste of the coffee now than before, when it was swamped with sweetness. Maybe this is something you could try for a while...

How about just weaning yourself off the sugar start by having 3/4 of a spoon for a week then go down to 1/4 for a week then a 1/4
I drink black coffee too but decaff which I weaned myself on to by mixing the caffinated with the decaff until it was eventually all decaff and I dont take sugar in fact if someone puts sugar in by accident I have to spit it out its vile same with milk ewww lol strange cuz I love sweet foods and sweet cold drinks. You would get used to not having the sugar eventually and it would mean that you would never have the sugar again meaning when you finish your slimming world journey you wont be having the extra calories in drinks :)

This is of no use to the Op as its UK only, but I'm signed up as a bzz agent and they have just sent me a box of splenda and a tub of the splenda tablets too. If you want more info and to try to sign up the link is

Hehehe, me too!!! I love to Bzzzzzzzzzzz :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back