Anyone here have a 1 yr old, got a question

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by big bear, 7 February 2010 Social URL.

1. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    My wee boy is 14 mths old but I still spoon feed him. Should he be feeding himself?How do I get him to feed himself with the spoon?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Mel2

Mel2 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st11lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(11.91%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I think that they usually start trying to feed themselves by then. Perhaps give him a little plastic spoon of his own to hold while you're feeding him with another and he might get the idea and copy you, even if it's to feed you with it for a bit before he tries eating it himself!

4. mommyB

mommyB love it

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.87%)
    kids vary alot and i wouldnt worry that he's not feeding himself yet,but i would encourage him to try, as mel2 says give him a spoon as well and maybe some finger foods.
    My friends daughter is nearly 4 and can feed herself perfectly well but prefers mum to do it,

5. Emma75

Emma75 Full Member

Start Weight:
    85kg
    Current Weight:
    84kg
    Goal Weight:
    70kg
    Lost(%):
    1kg(1.17%)
    Diet:
    Eat less, exercise more
    Yes, definitely start him with cutlery! We used baby lead weaning so DS has been feeding himself with his hands or spoon since we started weaning at 7 months, and now uses his spoon and fork nicely and even has a go with a knife. He is 18 months old now. It makes life so much easier because you can all eat together and you can focus on your own food rather than feeding him. BTW, do you eat together? It helps if he sees what you are doing.

6. Brightonrosie

Brightonrosie I want to be fitter again

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.94%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm a health visitor with 30 years experience so have spoken to a good few mums in my time. It sounds like he wants an easy way to get the food in his mouth. What I suggest you could try is to feed him three quarters of it to stave off his hunger then hand him the bowl and spoon and continue eating yours or get up and make a cup of tea. Chat to him but not about eating. Don't draw attention to him feeding himself until he has finished then loads of praise and smiley faces. Give him a fromage frais for pud or similar and don't feed him at all. If he really wants it he will get it into his mouth some how.Good luck xx

7. hayley morgan

hayley morgan Full Member

Start Weight:
    22st7lb
    Current Weight:
    20st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10lb(7.62%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i agree let him feed himself, sometimes its easier to feed them yourself cause if like me i hate the mess but encourage him to feed himself, my neice was 4 and still expected her mother to feed her mostly as a way to control her but it just makes for a lazy child. plus i secretly think they like to get messy lol

8. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks everyone. He does eat finger foods and things of his tray but just not with cutlery yet. I'm at work so told his Daddy to let him eat his lunch himself today.

Yes we all sit & eat together. He has 10 teeth but hasn't mastered biting of his food yet but stuffs the whole lot in his mouth. We'll start him now and hope he picks it up.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.