anyone plateau'd because of Diet Coke? or similar?

cambridge*diet*08

Silver Member
i have plateaud since thurs/ fri
been 100% ss'ing but not a smidgen has come off
i have been drinking 'alot' of dc though...
could this cause such a plateau do you think????
i mean 400 cals a day and no loss???
can dc really be the cause of this????
any ideas welcome
thanks

You are not allowed to have diet coke unless you are on 1000. Plus even before the diet everytime I had diet coke it made me feel bloated. Diet coke has citric acid and citric acid can kick you out of ketosis. My CDC said you can have coke zero on SS but I have avoided it and I have decided I will never have Coke any more even after the diet.

Eactly as Sylvie86 says, its not due to the calories in the coke, its the citric acid which can stop ketosis. There is a list or allowed drinks for a reason, not just to stop you enjoying a drink.

i wasnt debating the actual list of 'allowed fluids' or asking if we are allowed diet coke etc...

i am a cdc and yes i do know that we are not allowed it whilst on ss... i lost 4 stone without drinking dc.

but i like my dc and have been drinking it, i am only losing a few lbs before wearing a lbd next week!

and no i do not recommend my dieters drink it.

i was asking could this really be the cause of no weight loss for 4 days despite only consuming 400 cals????

i am surprised it can stop weight loss!

if for example i were (stupidly) consuming 400 cals a day on another diet would i really not lose weight JUST because i consumed citric acid? this is crazy... is it not? how can it stop you burning cals/ fat?

i know it can kick you out of ketosis, but you do not need to be in ketosis to burn fat (oh and i have been in ketosis all weekend, so i must be a lucky one.. well maybe not!!!)

this was my actual query! not whether i am allowed to drink it.

sorry if this was not made clear...

so how can citric acid stop you losing weight? i dont think it can... following further research i am convinced it is water retention as opposed to a zero loss.

thanks for all the replies!

I have been 100% ssing and have noticed a dramatic slow down in the weight loss just recently. I have been drinking water and black coffee only. I also think water retention could be an issue as over the weekend my feet swelled up and that never happens, I hadn't been out walking or anything. I was relaxing watching the tv, then got up to put my shoes on and they wouldn't fit! I do think sometimes we retain water but not sure what the cause is... I hadn't been drinking dc and personally don't think this is the sole issue, but perhaps it could make you retain water...

I have been 100% ssing and have noticed a dramatic slow down in the weight loss just recently. I have been drinking water and black coffee only. I also think water retention could be an issue...

is the coffee de-caff? maybe its caffeine... hhmmm off to do more research :confused:

Have you checked if you are in ketosis? In my opinion (Im not a doctor) a diet of 400 calories is very dangerous, unless your body is getting its 'fuel' from somewhere else (ketosis). If you are not in ketosis, then your body is in starvation mode surely?

yes im in ketosis, have been checking this daily.

all i can imagine is if it is not the water retention then maybe i am 'too small' to ss!!!!! lol... my bmi is just under 26 and was hoping to be 25 for xmas. so as you can see i am not a full time ss'er. just a temp thing until next tues.

i shall contemplate 810/ 1000 if scales not budged by tomorrow morning.

sorry to upset anyone, i know we should'nt drink DC but i choose to as it does not kick me out of ketosis, also used to drink gallons on atkins diet with no issues.

so i am pinning hopes on water retention or the need to eat more! yay...

thanks for all your comments, it is great to know that all serious dieters DO NOT TOUCH citric acid! Good girls (and boys).

x

have now changed my mood icon to reflect my pensive mood about citric acid and caffeine lol!

it has really got me thinking back to my atkins days now. never had a prob with drinking it and ketosis. weird!

must be water retention... fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm guess ill just admit defeat... my body is obviously cleverer than me!

have glugged my water and i shall report back tomorrow.

let this be a lesson learnt to all dieters... this is why we cant have citric acid lol!

In my opinion (Im not a doctor) a diet of 400 calories is very dangerous, unless your body is getting its 'fuel' from somewhere else (ketosis). If you are not in ketosis, then your body is in starvation mode surely?

Your body will only go into starvation mode if you are not getting enough of the right nutrients eg the right combination of vitamins, minerals, carbs & protein. 3 packs giving the 400+ cals provide enough of these or "fuel" to ensure you dont go into starvation mode whether or not you have achieved ketosis.

Hi there hun, my two pennies worth is that unfortunately plateaus happen and sometimes for no other reason than your body is pausing for breath, I know I had stay the same weeks when on SS, I'm sure it will get moving again soon.

xx

Hi there hun, my two pennies worth is that unfortunately plateaus happen and sometimes for no other reason than your body is pausing for breath, I know I had stay the same weeks when on SS, I'm sure it will get moving again soon.

xx

thanks for that! makes me feel much better. poor you though! x

Hey hun, I reckon do a day or 2 on 810 to surprise your body a bit and boost the metabolism. It may help you - it's certainly helped me in the past!

xxx

Hi,

I agree with wannabslim, I would move up to 810 even if it only for a few days. I know the "starvation mode" theory people have different opinions about it.
From the info I have read from various sources. I believe when you have lots of weight to lose, the body has a lot of available fuel (fat) to use, but as you get nearer your target, this is not so readily available so the body can go into "starvation mode" and your BMR lowers, so weight loss can be nonexistent or very slow. It takes weeks to get into "starvation mode" but once you are there, no matter how much cardio exercise you do - the body just holds on to the fat (I was there in my late teens). Of course you can get out of it, but if you have been doing months of VLCD-ing it's best to boost your metabolism.

I am not starting vlcd until Jan, but did atkins and lost quite a lot a few years ago (came unstuck once id lost it and put all back on though) and when I was doing that I used to drink a fair bit of pepsi max and it never seemed to effect my losses. I also used to test ketostix maybe twice a day and I never saw a difference on there either.
Perhaps it depends how 'deep' into ketosis you are whether it has an effect, maybe if you are just on the edge citric acid can tip you over, but if you are well into it then it doesnt effect you?

No clue really, just my two pence worth.

Hiya,

There's a difference between pepsi max and diet coke. It's better to drink coke zero as that is the same as pepsi max and doesn't contain some of the bad stuff that's in diet coke.

Hope that helps, somehow :) Just wanted to point out the difference,

xx

well a little update, no dc for 2 days and only lost 0.7lbs...

only gonna ss until saturday anyway so i will keep going and hope the inches are coming off even if the scales are not showing it!!!

thanks for all the input ladies.

and yes as wannabslim said maybe i need to do 810 now! well def after xmas... mince pies are already terrorising me and making my life hell!

thanks again xxx

Back