Anyone Seen this?

Not the best publicity - but just goes to show that LL are only as good as their LLCs! My LLC spelt out ALL the possible side effects before I started, so I was under no illusion as to what could happen. I still think this is the best diet I've ever done (mainly due to the counselling and RTM) and would still recommend it......although I would warn about the differences between the LLCs.

There is also something on radio 4 from 12am to 1pm, regarding LL, probably linked to the programme being shown this evening.

As far as I am concerned, i was also told all about the side effects and as been said, it is all down to the LLC you have.

Just glad mine is one of the fantasic ones!!

I too was told of all the side effects including the risks of drinking too much water - I also did my own research and discovered that I'd have to be drinking about 10l a day to get near the unsafe limit for water consumption.

The doctor on the video from the national obesity place spoke about hair loss and feeling cold on the introduction video and also on the week 1 video as well if I remember correctly so if the undercover volunteers didn't know about it then they either weren't shown this or they didn't take any notice of it.

Agreed. To drink too much water is very difficult unless you are a serious athlete and even then you should know better.

I feel great and look great so booo to them

It will be interesting to see the programme.

I'll hazard a guess that it is as biased as all the establishment sources are about any diet that doesn't fit in the the US standard food triangle that details how much protein, carbohydrate and fat you should eat.

So - they found a couple of people that experienced some hair loss and interrupted periods. How many successful healthy people have they found? I'd certainly trade some hair for the 10 stone I will lose and the enhanced life I will get as a result.

Perhaps we shoud have a poll on side effects experienced on the diet which could be run across all the diet forums. I'll bet that whenever there is real weight loss, people will have the off side effect.

For me the biggest side effect of Lighter Life has been having to buy lots of new clothes as my old ones are too big. Of course I have had some interesting stools, and the odd headache, dizzy spell, but I think now that the headaches and dizzyness could be down to a simple bug. They were not a problem anyway.

What do you board mods reckon - can we have a survey of members?

I think it should be along the lines of

Are you Male or Female?

What diet are you following?

Do you follow the diet completely (no cheating)?

Are you happy with the weightloss you have achieved so far - i.e are you losing weight?

How much weight have you lost?

How long have you been on this diet?

Which (if any) of the following side effects have you experienced:

Hair loss
interruption to menstrual cycle (women only)
Headaches (more or worse than you might normally have)
Aches/pains (more or worse than you might normally have)
Dizziness
Constipation (more or worse than you might normally have)
Diarrhea (more or worse than you might normally have)

What do you think?

Oops, what a pity. I don't know why she's moaning. What's wrong with a bit of hairloss/disrupted periods. I had it and decided it was worth it to lose the weight.

I mean, she wasn't forced to carry on if she didn't want to. It seems that some people won't take responsibility for their actions, and 'blaming' LL just seems the easy answer.

May be I was lucky enough to have a great counsellor, too.

AJ

I'm on cambridge so not sure if this is right I thought before you start lighter life your gp needs to ok it. If it's so bad GP's wouldn't give the go ahead.

My GP is so impressed he asked me to bring in the magazines and contact numbers for my LLC, and has never asked me to stop, infact he has given me praise and told me to carry on aslong as I am happy. My tracker speaks for itself I think. I started 14th Jan, let them do the maths.

Well done and thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'm on Cambridge myself but I believe the possible side effects are the same with any VLCD. My CDC did discuss some possible side effects and there is a wealth of literature about them which I received.

I have taken steps to ensure that I am "regular" and track my periods to ensure thay are not disrupted and thankfully I have not really experienced side effects.

I find it hard to believe that given the danger level for water is amount 10L per day that many people would be drinking to excess. I know in all of our literature it has guidelines on how much water to drink per day and it is nothing in the region of 10L!

To echo the sentiments of others, I have taken responsibility to ensure that I monitor body movements/functions/water consumption etc and if I felt that my health was in any way in danger then i would stop but I feel better than I have in years and find it brilliant. People need to take some responsibility for their own bodies!

Well I just listened the the radio report about the TV programme this evening.

it was very "weak" if you ask me.

The only issue was the Bar whatever her name is (the founder) said that the eating disorder assosiation refer peope ontothe programme, which was followed up with a "no we dont" directly from them.

the rest was "my cycle messed up" and "The plug hole got blocked up with hair when I wash it."

I personally think "I will die earlier" and "a will us more NHS resources becuase of the health issues of being overweight" counteracts thoses issues to a pretty large extent!!

Are you Male or Female?- Female

What diet are you following?- LighterLife

Do you follow the diet completely (no cheating)?- Ate a few bites on XMAS & V-day only (not that much)

Are you happy with the weightloss you have achieved so far - i.e are you losing weight?- Definately

How much weight have you lost?- 8st 2lbs

How long have you been on this diet? - 7 Months & 1 day!

Hair loss- YES
interruption to menstrual cycle (women only)- YES
Headaches (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Aches/pains (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Dizziness- YES
Constipation (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Diarrhea (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES

What do you think?

If I stayed the way I was,I would have suffered from even more health problems! These have been minor compared to the real health issues an Obese person can suffer from!

Are you Male or Female?- Female

What diet are you following?- LighterLife

Do you follow the diet completely (no cheating)?- Ate a few bites on XMAS & V-day only (not that much)

Are you happy with the weightloss you have achieved so far - i.e are you losing weight?- Definately

How much weight have you lost?- 8st 2lbs

How long have you been on this diet? - 7 Months & 1 day!

Hair loss- YES
interruption to menstrual cycle (women only)- YES
Headaches (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Aches/pains (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Dizziness- YES
Constipation (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES
Diarrhea (more or worse than you might normally have)- YES

What do you think?

If I stayed the way I was,I would have suffered from even more health problems! These have been minor compared to the real health issues an Obese person can suffer from!

Well said SS

There are times when we all must take responsibility for the decisions we make - i took mine by making the decision to join LL knowing of the pitfalls and the advantages and balancing them.

Are you Male or Female? Female

What diet are you following? Lighter Life

Do you follow the diet completely (no cheating)? Yes

Are you happy with the weightloss you have achieved so far - i.e are you losing weight? Very happy!!

How much weight have you lost? 4st 3lbs

How long have you been on this diet? 13 weeks

Hair loss No
interruption to menstrual cycle (women only) Yes
Headaches (more or worse than you might normally have) No
Aches/pains (more or worse than you might normally have) No
Dizziness Yes
Constipation (more or worse than you might normally have) Yes
Diarrhea (more or worse than you might normally have) Yes

What do you think?

As other's have said, the media has something bad to say about absolutely everything, and they've hunted out one or two people with (pretty weakly) bad experiences. Haven't bothered to talk to the hundreds of people who are very happy with thier VLCD experience. I know I am now happier, healthier, have more energy, bags more confidence (which has even got me a new job) my life has been totally turned around by LL and I'm so thankful to have found it.

It will be interesting to see the programme.

I'll hazard a guess that it is as biased as all the establishment sources are about any diet that doesn't fit in the the US standard food triangle that details how much protein, carbohydrate and fat you should eat.

So - they found a couple of people that experienced some hair loss and interrupted periods. How many successful healthy people have they found? I'd certainly trade some hair for the 10 stone I will lose and the enhanced life I will get as a result.

Perhaps we shoud have a poll on side effects experienced on the diet which could be run across all the diet forums. I'll bet that whenever there is real weight loss, people will have the off side effect.

For me the biggest side effect of Lighter Life has been having to buy lots of new clothes as my old ones are too big. Of course I have had some interesting stools, and the odd headache, dizzy spell, but I think now that the headaches and dizzyness could be down to a simple bug. They were not a problem anyway.

What do you board mods reckon - can we have a survey of members?

I think it should be along the lines of

Are you Male or Female?

What diet are you following?

Do you follow the diet completely (no cheating)?

Are you happy with the weightloss you have achieved so far - i.e are you losing weight?

How much weight have you lost?

How long have you been on this diet?

Hair loss
interruption to menstrual cycle (women only)
Headaches (more or worse than you might normally have)
Aches/pains (more or worse than you might normally have)
Dizziness
Constipation (more or worse than you might normally have)
Diarrhea (more or worse than you might normally have)

What do you think?

I have set up a poll, here is the link.

http://www.minimins.com/very-low-calorie-diet-s/39144-total-food-replacement-diet-s.html#post585738

As the side effects are the same for all Total food replacement diet's I don't see the need to do a separate one for all the other diets....Do you?

You can set up a poll yourself if this is not what you had in mind.

Just start a new thread and you will see the option down under the post reply box.

So long as all the side effects are pointed out to you, you can make an informed decision, but all counsellors should be able to give or find the appropriate information if a problem occurs and not just brush it off.

A little off track but Just out of interest how many people have ever looked at a simple packet of pain killers for the side effects ?? I think that would surprise you, but most of us just reach out for them, they don`t even need a presciption or even a trained person to sell them.

Back