Anyone tried calorie and carb free konjan noodles??

zzjanliz

Hi everyone! i was doing a little research last night as i am struggling to find something filling and low cal to replace my pasta/rice/potato in the evenings. I came across something called Konjac noodles...has anyone had these? they sound way to good to be true...why have i not heard of these before??

Has anyone had these...what are they like, do they really taste like noodles and are they low cal and fat, sugar and carb free?????
:eek:

Also where do i get these??? xx

I've never heard of these to be honest!

Yeah I googled them, seems that they don't really taste like much but absorb the flavour of what you cook them with. Pretty much like thai glass noodles I guess. I don't know what shops sell them, oriental shops probably, but you can get them online it seems.

Hi, thanks I just read that too. So they have no fat, no sugar, no carbs and only 10 cals per pack. Also they are high fibre and low gi.....surely they must be a catch! Think u just add a sauce like you would pasta. I'm defo gonna order some today as they would be perfect as a filler and I love noodles.

Has anyone tried these? :)

I haven't tried them, but they look alot like rice vermicelli/glass noodles and so I assume they'd be best in some sort of asian soup. I'm going to order some and try them as they sound a little too good to be true! Then again, I am a huge fan of noodle soup, so they may become a staple of my store cupboard.

Hi there I have just ordered some from zero noodles.com... should b here tomorrow
can't wait. I read on another forum that u might b able to get them from Asian supermarkets too... although the ones I have ordered are a UK brand I think. Hope they are the same

Hi there I have just ordered some from zero noodles.com... should b here tomorrow
can't wait. I read on another forum that u might b able to get them from Asian supermarkets too... although the ones I have ordered are a UK brand I think. Hope they are the same

Yes they are the same as Shiritaki noodles. I think it's the yam root. I haven't tried them yet, I keep on meaning to buy some. I tried asking in the Chinese Supermarket, but she looked at me with a puzzled look, despite me thinking I saw them on the Japanese section.

haha i did that exact same thing today...drove all the way to my local asian supermarket to see if they stocked them but they had no idea what i was talking about..as if they had never heard of them, oh well, guess i will have to keep paying for postage and packaging. Have you tried the zero noodles brand as well as the asian ones? if so do they taste any different...is one better then the other?

We have these a lot. Haven't managed to find a shop that stocks them but usually buy either from Japanese Kitchen or Amazon online.

I don't particularly like them as a pasta substitute but I love them as a noodle or in a stir fry.

You have to drain them and rinse them first. They have a foul fishy smell when you first open them but don't be put off, once drained the smell goes away.

Then I boil them for just a few minutes. Then I drain them and leave them to dry out a bit.

I saute some mushrooms, peppers, garlic, etc in a wok with some butter and groundnut oil until tender. Then add some cooked beef, pork, chicken or prawns and the noodles and cook til warmed through.

I'm doing Atkins and I can have a MASSIVE bowl of scrummy stir fry for next to no carb count :D

Also, just to add, I know a lot of people think "they're too good to be true, they must make your legs drop off or your nose turn black". But they're actually not a new thing. The Japanese have been eating yam based foods for centuries but this noodle was 'invented' about 60 years ago.

So I think we might have seen a few dropped legs or black noses by now.

Anyhoooo, if you like the taste then they're brilliant for bulking up your meals if you're dieting.

Thanks for the recipe idea dizziedee, i will give that a go as it sounds lovely! I actually cant believe that i have never hear of them, apparently they caught onto them in the US a long time ago now. Thats weird that yours have a foul fishy smell...do they taste of fish?, the ones i have dont have any smell what so ever...what brand are they? have you tried the zero noodles?

How long have you been on the Atkins? have you found it successful?

Oh I have had these, had them a lot in Thailand. They do often have that smell, rice noodles do too. Not sure why!

are rice noodles nearly calorie free too? I love rice noodles and you can buy them in stores so would be great if they were??? zero noodles are awsome but a bit costly having to pay delivery all the time. augh!

Back