Anyones OH not supportive of SW?

My bf is supportive, the first week he was like hmm are you sure you can eat that? and i explained the concept of slimming world to him which he prob didnt understand at first, i kept going on about healthy extra's to him and he would have a blank look on his face! but i love cooking and when we sit down i'll be like i made mine with my heA or whatever and he knows what im going on about now because i talk about it with him, and if im in one of those moods where i cba cooking he will be like how about you do this with veg and have a heA of cheese with it, so its nice that he takes an interest, the other night he was going to cook because i was ill and he was trying to remeber things like spanish tortilla, jacket potato etc things that are easy to do for him to cook me lol I bought the sw curry book and he happily sat there pointing out recipes for me to cook lmao the only thing so far with sw he doesnt like is the mash lol he didnt appreciate me swapping his usual cream and butter for natural yogurt so now i just take half out the pan and add cream to his and yogurt to mine, must agree with him though its not the nicest thing id much prefer his version lol one of his friends at work is on sw because his wife is so he has home-made meals for his tea etc which are sw friendly, my bf sometimes asks me is that a sw recipe when i give him his tea top take with him, prob so he can tell his mate 'look ive got sw too :D' lol although he did annoy me with spag bol he kept saying oh is that the sw recipe like such a body has at work, i was like NO its my recipe! lol same recipe i used to and always have cooked is actually sw friendly so i carried on using my recipe.

maybe try talking to him about sw, tell him what you have used in your recipes etc he might take a bit more interest, you shouldnt have to prove anything to anyone, maybe he just doesnt understand the concept of sw properly, just keep talking about it and he will get the hang of what you can eat and what its about etc :)

In past dh been very unsupportive as he is uber thin take away lover. He would start nagging me if he thought i was being naughty (alpen lights). Then would get annoyed if i dodnt stick. In the end we agreed never to discuss my weight or food. I just got on with it myself. Now he is pretty good. He won't buy chocolate etc unless i ask. He eats most sw meals - without the veggies

I attempted exante, my laptops dead and i dont know how to change it on my phone x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

My husband isn't very supportive of it. I've tried and failed to lose weight so many times that I think he just feels 'here we go again'. He's overweight too but isn't worried about it and doesn't really understand why I am. He also finds it hard that I don't want to share a few drinks with him or stop for a kfc on the way home etc.

I have really tried to involve him and asked him to go through the cookbooks to find dishes he would like but he isn't interested.

Most days he cooks for himself and I cook for myself and our toddler. This usually means that we eat separately which I hate. I am determined not to let this put me off the plan though and hopefully when he sees that I am really losing the weight and keeping it off maybe he will start to get a bit more interested.

Ah the expertise of the slim!!!
I am lucky in that my OH is very supportive but get cross when so called 'friends' say 'you cant eat that' when I say I have had a monster grill up for brekkie.
At class this morning there was several members ( one was really upset ) moaning about their partners being unsupportive with regards to what they are eating and telling them what they should and shouldn't have. Also, lots of members whose partners wont eat the SW meals - my advice is - tell them to cook their own!
I would say, ignore him and crack on with it. You are doing this for YOU and you obviously know what you are doing. The whole point of SW is that we do not feel hungry and I have at least 2 good sized meals a day ( can't manage lunch if I have had a huge brekkie ) and I have lost 52 pounds. Good luck, keep your chin up and prove him wrong! xxx

I don't do separate meals but sometimes i cook him something slightly different ori add oil to his portion. If im having sw chips i cook him oven chips if he wants those. I have quorn sausages or lf and i cook him full fat.

888sally888 said:
Lose the weight and then lose the insensitive man ;)

I disagree. Lose the insensitive man first ;)

Seriously though, don't let him get to you. Prove him wrong & then stick two fingers up @ the miserable git.

kaz200581 said:
My partner is generally very supportive, tonight he had the parmesan crusted chicken out of the SW magazine ready and waiting for me when I got home :) He tends to save the takeaways for when i'm working night shifts which suits me fine, out of sight, out of mind! I couldn't do it if he were judging me all the time! x

My husbands much the same, always trying new meals from Sw mags or books.... Take aways when I'm working!!!

Weirdly a long time friend has gone back to ww. She might as well pay life time membership, she is about a size 22+. She always looses some weight then puts it back on etc. I must admit when she told me she had gone back again, my first thought was 'not again'. The traumas when she hadn't lost (even though she had eaten tub ben and jerrys), the constant diet talk, obsessing about food and points. I really couldn't be bothered which sounds awful but did give me a light bulb moment as to how my dh has been feeling all these years.

So I don't talk about dieting, food or weight loss. I plan the meals for the family for the week and do the shopping. If he wants a takaway I may join him and have a slice of pizza with loads of salad or a healthier chinese BUT I dont make it a big part of my life anymore. Funnily enough he has become way more supportive. If we are out and about he suggests places where he knows I can have a salad or a jacket rather than just moaning about having a macdonalds. So perhaps I was doing his head in with all the diet talk.

6lbs off!!! he can stick that in his pipe and smome it lol xx

BigLisa said:
6lbs off!!! he can stick that in his pipe and smome it lol xx

Thats fantastic! Get yourself 6 baked bean cans & chuck them on his lap! Then say - thats how much i've lost eating too much - in your face looser!

kingleds said:
Thats fantastic! Get yourself 6 baked bean cans & chuck them on his lap! Then say - thats how much i've lost eating too much - in your face looser!

But make SURE you get him in the knackers!

spudnik said:
My bf is supportive, the first week he was like hmm are you sure you can eat that? and i explained the concept of slimming world to him which he prob didnt understand at first, i kept going on about healthy extra's to him and he would have a blank look on his face! but i love cooking and when we sit down i'll be like i made mine with my heA or whatever and he knows what im going on about now because i talk about it with him, and if im in one of those moods where i cba cooking he will be like how about you do this with veg and have a heA of cheese with it, so its nice that he takes an interest, the other night he was going to cook because i was ill and he was trying to remeber things like spanish tortilla, jacket potato etc things that are easy to do for him to cook me lol I bought the sw curry book and he happily sat there pointing out recipes for me to cook lmao the only thing so far with sw he doesnt like is the mash lol he didnt appreciate me swapping his usual cream and butter for natural yogurt so now i just take half out the pan and add cream to his and yogurt to mine, must agree with him though its not the nicest thing id much prefer his version lol one of his friends at work is on sw because his wife is so he has home-made meals for his tea etc which are sw friendly, my bf sometimes asks me is that a sw recipe when i give him his tea top take with him, prob so he can tell his mate 'look ive got sw too :D' lol although he did annoy me with spag bol he kept saying oh is that the sw recipe like such a body has at work, i was like NO its my recipe! lol same recipe i used to and always have cooked is actually sw friendly so i carried on using my recipe.

maybe try talking to him about sw, tell him what you have used in your recipes etc he might take a bit more interest, you shouldnt have to prove anything to anyone, maybe he just doesnt understand the concept of sw properly, just keep talking about it and he will get the hang of what you can eat and what its about etc :)

I could pretty much have written this. My OH has always said that I need to lose weight (I already knew it so it was just his way of being 'supportive' haha) but when he found out I was doing slimming world (I started before we were together) he kept telling me off for eating carbs etc. he also loves cooking on a sun when I go round his and seemed to be purposely choosing foods that were high in syns and getting me to eat desserts to 'prove' the diet didn't work. I ended up putting the stone I lost back on (not his fault, I could always say no plus it was probably more to do with the junk food and choc I was eating during the week, lol). It was really demotivating.

After Christmas we had a loooooooong talk where I explained the plan to him and although he still doesn't get how I can eat carbs without exercising for hours he accepted that he has to trust it. Now he texts me every mon to find out ow my weigh in went and whenever he cooks he asks how many syns it is and we work out portions that way (for example he made a curry that was 22 syns so he divided into 4 portions, which was plenty). He's learnt he can cook his foods and with a little compromise we can make them sw friendly.

He still refuses to eat it though but that's more to do with him not liking anyone's cooking but his own. Hahaha.

That's fantastic BigLisa!

A lot of people can't see how Slimming World could work and once you start loosing the weight are gobsmacked :eek:

I really hope your OH comes round and starts giving you the support you deserve.

Well done you!! That's motivation enough to stick with the plan and not care what anyone says! You're doing this for yourself and that's 6lbs you'll never see again!! Brilliant!!

This reply did make laugh............:D:D:D
i love this site!!!
xxx

Back