apologies for the numpty question, but...

dizzydawnie

Silver Member
As my diary testifies I am struggling for a loss on my return to Atkins, but am doing my best to stick with it.

I have had some great advice (thank you :) ) but reading thru some of your diaries I read of people stating that you aren't be able to avoid carbs whilst away.

What does this do to your weight loss post holiday and how difficult is it for you then to start getting a loss again?

thanks in advance
x

Not a numpty question at all :)

I had a holiday from the diet for a week at Xmas - ate lots of carby stuff that I shouldn't - jumped straight back into a super-strict week of Induction immediately afterwards and lost the pound I'd re-gained plus 4 more, so it was no trouble for me. I then carried on with 1-2lb losses per week, which is where I'm at currently.

Mind you, that was 30 pounds ago; now that I have considerably less to lose I might not get the same result if I were to do it again.

I imagine everyone will have different experiences depending on age, gender, weight, how much damage their metabolism has sustained, etc.

My experience isn't all that useful because as well as eating carbs on holiday, I got sick and didn't eat anything for 36 hours, so who knows what would have happened if I'd been OK. After a week away I'd gained roughly 2lb, I guess it would have been nearer 4 otherwise!

I lost it again within days (water weight, most likely), but it's taken me just under 2 weeks to get back into the swing of things, diet-wise. I didn't binge or anything, just ate a LOT, until a few days ago when I started to feel back to "normal" (ie thirsty and not hungry: ketosis!). I'm 6lb down on my pre-holiday weight, so something's going right!

My approach when I got back was to immediately go back to and stick to "legal" foods. I bought extra snacks, things like peperami, babybels and nuts, to get me through the increased hunger, and didn't worry too much about overeating them. Just stayed off the carbs and let things settle.

One thing I did do was take Atkins shakes and bars with me on holiday, which saved the day a few times.

Back