Are you a compulsive eater?

Lynn8124

Gold Member
I definately think I am. I eat whether I am hungry or not. Something seems to just drive me to eat and more often I am becoming aware of it. I'll be sitting eating something and suddenly say to myself 'what am I doing? I don't even want this'. Next thing I'll be feeling sick. Not always nauseous but sometimes.

It seems pure madness. Why the heck would anyone eat if they weren't hungry? Also if I'm upset I seem to think food will make me feel better. I have got to the stage where I don't even enjoy the food I eat, kinda like when I stopped smoking, towards the end I was only lighting up cos I was going through the motions.

Anyone else feel the same?

You're not alone Lyn, I battle with the urge to eat constantly, sometimes I win but often I lose.. I'm currently in therapy to try and get it under control... it's very hard work and I'm very much work in progress!!!!!I try to stay positive and hope that the answers will come if I keep trying to find them...
Keep at it hun, where there's a will there's a way..

love xxxxx:)

You're not alone Lyn, I battle with the urge to eat constantly, sometimes I win but often I lose.. I'm currently in therapy to try and get it under control... it's very hard work and I'm very much work in progress!!!!!I try to stay positive and hope that the answers will come if I keep trying to find them...

Cheers doll. x

102lbs off is fantabulous! :)

its abit easier for me cause its just me and my fella living here so i try not to buy stuff that i can binge on because i know i will!! if i buy a pack of biscuits i will have to eat them and chomp thru the whole pack.... so i try to only have meals in the house so after dinner cant snack!! its harder for those of you with familys cause you have to have food in for the kids etc...

I would say I am/was a compulsive over eater as I would eat and eat as much as I could and stop when I was really uncomfortably full. I'd also eat lots when I was bored. Though now I've learnt by calorie counting and portion control how much I should be eating and I think I'm in the mind set now that I only eat when I'm hungry and do other things when I'm bored. And also I can't stand the feeling of being uncomfortably full now which is good :). So it can and will get better for you!

I'd say I was a compulsive eater. Any excuse to eat - happy, sad, depressed, hurt, ill - deedahdeedah! If I had a row with OH I'd eat a massive bar of chocolate cos I knew if would p*ss him off if he found out about it. Combine that with my love of wine and bacardi - what a recipe for disaster. Now I'm 100% SS on CD and will continue until I get to target, then go on maintenance. I'm controlling food now - it's not going to control me EVER again.

I'm interested in the therapy you've been having Mandy - I'm definately a CE and want to stop. Once I start ... I go on until my trigger food has all gone - biscuits/bread/cakes. Definately high sugar/carbs, which is why CD works well for me.

I can be an over eater at times, but to be honest i go the other way too sometimes. Not good at all but i have been like that for years!

I am :sigh:

and i know i am :cry:

sometimes i can control it...most times i cant :confused:....thing is, i know my mistakes, and i teach others ...but i cant help myself:wave_cry:

i love food...:eek:

Yes, I am. I have been controlling it since April when I started calorie counting. I guess I will struggle with it until I die but I have promised myself to never let me go down that self destructing path again.

id say im a compulsive over eater, i eat for any reason fed up, happy, sad, tired, depressed for eating then eating more to try combat that i mean how stupid is that but i still do and i dont enjoy it

I definitely am, I used to compulsively eat chocolate and rubbish food, I'd eat until I felt sick and ashamed of myself. I manage by not having the rubbish in the house, I certainly don't overeat on healthy food, I just don't get the urge. It must be the sugar and fat that drives me to it. When I did a low calorie diet I'd binge on ryvitas and cottage cheese, but I think that's because I'd get sooo hungry. I don't get starving hungry and feel deprived doing slimming world.

I was a compulsive eater for years and years. Wow, that's so good to say 'was'.
th_girl_dance.gif

Each time I went on a diet I thought I had overcome it, but it wasn't until I was well into maintenance that I could really work on the problem. Maintenance is a different mindset completely, and after a while on it, things rear their ugly heads once more.

KD, did you experience that moment you hear about when things finally 'click'? I don't think I have ever. Like when you read a story in a mag and they say 'and that's when I realised I needed to do something about my weight', usually after a tragic or acutely embarrassing event. It spurs them into action and motivates them to continue.

I really struggle to control what I am eating too. I have had a bad week this week, eating for no reason and then getting upset with myself for eating and then eating more:cry:

Started SF 3 weeks ago and been so pleased with the results so far, but have messed up big time. Am so angry. I was sure I had started getting this eating issue under control:(

Am just so weak willed:mad:

KD, did you experience that moment you hear about when things finally 'click'? I don't think I have ever. Like when you read a story in a mag and they say 'and that's when I realised I needed to do something about my weight', usually after a tragic or acutely embarrassing event. It spurs them into action and motivates them to continue.

Yeah...something like that :D Nothing tragic or acutely embarrassing though :) Definitely a sudden moment when being overweight was too much to cope with.

Controlling the compulsive eating came when I realised that unless I work on my food issues, I would never be able to control my weight.

Up until then my priority was to control my weight. Backward thinking really. Rather like throwing yourself into a prickle bush and thinking that it's okay as long as you put some cream on the wounds.

Lightbulb moment was when I realised that no cream would be needed if I learnt how to stop throwing myself into bushes ;)

i was also a compulsive eater. the problem with me was that i could eat nothing all day, and then at, say, 11pm, i would order a take away or make myself a huge meal, and eat it all. and then i would not eat for ages, and then eat another huge meal. i often ate once/twice a day, but the portions were always huge, which is definitely not good.
one side effect of the CD diet is that I started smoking a lot more, I guess I just replaced food with more cigarettes... I was thinking of quitting smoking, but if I quit now during the diet I think I would honestly kill myself:)
I hope I'll be able to quit a few months after the diet tho... Fingers crossed. Cigs in the UK are ridiculously overpriced, but on the other hand I guess it's good, coz less ppl can afford them, and it keeps the majority of ppl healthy;)

oh hell yes i am. and doing ss has highlighted times and events that would set me off on a binge!! so i'm hoping, having discovered that, i will be able to control it more easily on maintenance...

I don't kow about being a compulsive eater. I do know I'm an emotional eater...hmmmm is there such a word. I eat and binge when I get depressed. When my man and i get into a fight and when I just feel down coz of work or family problems. Afterwards, I feel really bad...

I'm a compulsive eater, and have been for years. I eat and eat until I feel sick. Even when I don't feel hungry. I don't understand why I do it, and hate myself afterwards.:sigh:

I joined slimming world 2 weeks ago, and haven't felt the need to do it since I joined which I'm well chuffed about! I'm hardly snacking at all either, which was one of my downfalls.

Back