Are you an abstainer or a moderator?

I'm an abstainer too. I certainly find it easier to do without than to stop once I start.

A very interesting article. I'm not sure which one I fall into.
If my head is in the game and my motivation is there then I can eat things in moderation and be fine.
However, if my mind is only 50/50 into the plan I find it easier to abstain as one bar of chocolate inevitably leads to more.

At the moment, I'm an abstainer. I have been a definite comfort eater for the last year, and I'm on medication that increases the appetite. Crisps were my biggest downfall (Salt and Vinegar flavour, I'm looking at you!) - not one packet has been consumed since January 12th, but I still get bad cravings. My partner doesn't eat them (he's more a chocolate biscuit person), so there's none in the house. I know that, if there were to be, it would only lead to an all-out binge.

I'm a moderator, I definitely fit into this category;

You’re a moderator if you…
– find that occasional indulgence heightens your pleasure–and strengthens your resolve
– get panicky at the thought of “never” getting or doing something

Although when I decide something is off limits (ie- if I allocate it to an occasion, or say it's for the kids/hubby) it can sit there and I won't touch it, so I can ​abstain too, if I play. the right mind-games. x

At the moment I am an abstainer, I'd rather give something up than have that one taste which will send me bingeing! I've never been a moderator whilst eating!

I'm definitely an abstainer! I find it much easier to go without something than just have "a little bit". And after a while without, I find I don't really miss it.

More an Abstainer than a Moderator

I can often live without something, but if I know it's there I will eat it until it's gone so that I can then not eat it again!

I am an abstainer. If I have one, why not have six... my brain seems to rationalise along those lines. So, I go without but I don't feel like I am going without... I spent thirty years over indulging, time to live it lean lol. xx

I think I am an abstainer! I do better giving things up for lent etc rather than just saying I had some last night so I won't tonight! I am currently 2 weeks in to a 10 week chocolate and wine ban. Finding it ok considering I normally have chocolate daily and wine about 4 times a week!

Back