Arghh this has to stop!!

Well going back to the diet and TOTM arriving meant a hard sort of day. Not in a 'I'm crawling over broken glass for a fag' kind of hard but generally snappy restless and unsettled. Evening was fine. Didn't think about it at all. Calories were well under (not counting chewing gum and mints tho :) they are an essential replacement for crisps an biccies right now!!!) so all in all an epic win. Can't believe it's this simple!! I'm waiting nervously for the axe to fall haha.

The riots in the west mids are troubling me :( lots of family an friends getting caught up in it and the violence has spread to our local town. I've had to go and bring my gramps car back to ours as they live right in town and the police were warning of gangs congregating. They are really anxious an nervous so hubby is sleeping there for a few days!! My cuz got locked in the top floor of the bullring yesterday while gangs raided the stores below. She works in selfridges. They were evacuated again today. And my oldest freind spent the night locked in a brum pub with looters trying to break in!! The police didn't get them safely out till 4am.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Miserable miserable day. My willpower is strong and my cravings seem tiny but I'm so emotional. I think I may be losing my marbles lol. Under a lot of pressure with my AS son. Feeling really isolated an a bit lonely :( I've not had a face to face chat with an actual adult for 8 days now (except hubby) and I'm going slightly loopy trapped in the house now :( hubby's working till 8pm most nights an his days off revolve round various hospital and therapy appointments plus a quick dash to asda or the bank. So in theory I have spoken to people..... just not any who actually know my first name. I hate the holidays. I think the quitting is making it harder this year. I don't usually cry till week 5!!!

Day 7 and it's still going ok. Still a bit emotional lol. It's like PMT but ramped up a notch :) if hubby doesn't return home with a suitable one week reward tonight he is a dead man!!! The couch will be too good for him. We are talking sleeping in the car levels of doghouseness. ;)

On to day 17 now and I'm really quite worried about how ridiculously easy it's been??? I've smoked since I was really young!! And everyone says it's really hard etc etc and it's really NOT. But is that coz of the patches? hopefully weaning off them slowly is gonna be the way!!

The first ten days were a pain as I had noooooo concentration span an didn't sleep for more than an hr a night (24 hr patches were a bad idea!!! I'm loving the 16hr ones tho!!) But now I can concentrate again it's fine. I don't get cravings for a ciggy really just a really restless twitchy feeling?

Skins improving. I'm too hot in bed so I assume my circulation is too. My taste buds are rebelling against stuff I used to like an coffee smells vile now!!! My chest isn't tight and I'm not coughing. After just 17 days too!!! Only negatives are a dry throat all the time and a couple of small mouth ulcers.

I know I'll never be a smoker again. I dunno if I will resist a sneaky one when drunk (I very very rarely drink) but there's no way I'm ever buying a pack again!!! It's quite liberating lol.

That's fantastic!!
I was exactly the same, thought it was going to be sooooooo hard and put it off forever, but I've found it to be easy too!
I think making the decision to actually commit to it is the biggest part so that's half the battle.
The 16hr patches are great, and I'm on week 9 and down to the weakest patch.
My skin is transformed, my energy levels are great, and I can workout MUCH harder now without getting out of breath!
I HATE the smell of them now too!!
I'll never touch another one, and as I don't drink, the lure of a drunken one isn't a problem either.:-D
Really pleased you're doing so well.
Here's to us non smokers! :)

Did you notice any difference when you dropped a patch strength? I'm just hoping it carries on being as easy!! It's way easier than dieting lol. I've sooooo failed miserably at my diet. A big fat gain of 9 freaking pounds!! Eeeeek!!! Back on the wagon today. And I'm gonna test out my shiny new lungs with a bit of gentle zumba ;)

I didn't really notice at all, but I also got the chewing gum from the chemist for days I couldn't put my patch on right away( due to going to the gym and working out)so I knew if I did I could just chew the gum. Tastes awful though!!
I believe that once the actual "smoking" habit is broken (3 weeks) then the nicotine withdrawal is more manageable.
I can honestly say I've had no serious cravings at all!!
I'm still half expecting them to kick in, but am only on the patch for another 2 weeks so I'll let you know more when I'm off it altogether.
I think my desire to NOT smoke is a huge factor!!
As for the weight gain, I've been lucky and actually LOST weight in the first few weeks while trying to maintain. I'm a very stubborn character though, and was utterly determined I wasn't going to overeat, so I didn't!!
9lbs is not so bad, and as your activity level raises, you'll see the weight come back off, and you will STILL be smoke free, which us worth it's weight in gold! :)
I've still not tried Zumba, is it any good?
I'm a Combat girl myself, but started body pump last night and have spaghetti arms today as a result!

It's a good cardio workout an I find it sculpts my core better than crunches etc. Tightens up your waist nicely :) but it doesn't do much for the rest of you lol. I do it on the wii now as I burn more on that than the class according to my HRM. I need to cancel my gym membership coz my lifes changed a lot recently an I just don't get to go :( I'm quite fancying a bash at C25k tho before the weather turns to evil!!! There's a water sports lake by my house that would make a lovely run.

Apparently running is the best overall exercise to do for a great burn.
I'd love to, but my right calf muscle seems to suffer every time I do any kind of running, even short bursts in interval type training. Boo! :-(
That lakeside run sounds lovely! :)

I'm a bit worried about that as I have really short calf muscles :( nothing I've done seems to stretch them properly either. C25k builds really gradually so should be ok. Just need the offspring to get back to school now lol.

Still going fine. Haven't used my inhalators for days now which is good. But I've got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth now :( is that normal? Will it go away?? Yuck!!!

Well fri is day 90 and my last day of patches. I'm pleased to have got to 90 days on my first ever attempt without any slip ups!! I'm just disappointed that I've gained soooooo much weight!! Ah well back in my diet wagon as a non smoker now lol.

I've quit!

Hi all
Hope you don’t mind me joining. I am rying again to quit. Lost count how many times I have tried now, longest time was 1yr but then due to stress at work I started again :sigh:

Last time i quit was New Years eve 2010 with no aids followed by acupuncture on 6th Jan 2011. Managed to do fine until June – don’t know why but I had 1 which led to another and another :sigh:

I officially quit again on 11th oct 2011 by using a hypnotherapy cd and I am doing good. My OH is still smoking but other than the fact it smells really strong on him, it’s not really bothering me at all.

I expected to gain weight once quitting as I have done in the past but I haven’t which is brill :D

Debs

I haven't read other people's replies so I hope I don't repeat too much lol. Firstly you have to be ready to give up, just like with loosing weight really u have to be in the zone! It's not inevitable that u put on weight, I started slimming world 3 weeks after I gave up and in that time hadn't gained weight and have now gone on to loosing weight. I don't have a stressful home life like you but I do have a stressful job, and I too suffer depression which is where my word of caution comes in. Once you decide you want to give up smokingit is very important that you do it with medical assistance. As giving up smoking CAN bring on depression so you would need regular check ups with your doctor or quit smoking councillor. After being assessed it was decided that my way to give up would be with champix, and I have got to say it's the best thing I have ever done for myself. Apart from the health benefits it's amazing feeling not being nicotine dependent they do not have a hold over me any more. There were lots of things I didn't do because I couldn't afford to, now we have both given up we are £15 per day better off! I don't feel self conscious any more when I meet new people hoping that they don't realise I stink of fags, my teeth have now been polished at dentist and have stayed stain free! I did get a smokers cough for a while whi h is normal once you give up which is your lungs clearing all the crap from them but that soon passes. And personally I didn't experience any symptoms of depression, and my moods wernt to bad either.
I hope this helps Claire x

Back