Asda Chick Pea Dahl is Back

Minimunchkins

Gold Member
I found the chick pea dahl in Asda today - been missing for a few months. It's got a different label but is still 77p per can. The Asda website is still showing the old label so I hope they haven't changed their receipe

oh, i hadnt noticed it had gone, i have still been getting it. I had noticed that the lable has changed though. My Asda had some old label and some new, so got a couple of each and checked the ingredients and they are basically the same.

Havnt tried it but i think i may :hmm:

Ive heard people talking about it in our class but ive never managed to get it so will definately give it a whirl but .... how do i prep it?? is it just a heat and eat kinda dinner??? any help much appreciated x

I've heard loads of good things about this, but never tried it. Might pick some up tomorrow when I go shopping. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've made a kinda meat loaf (obviously without the meat!) -
mix a tin of chickpea dahl (asda's is free on a green day) with a made-up a packet of Batchelors savoury rice, mix altogether with four eggs - put in a greased loaf tin - cook for about 30-40 minutes - until it's set...

Its nice hot or cold.

LV30 said:
I've made a kinda meat loaf (obviously without the meat!) -
mix a tin of chickpea dahl (asda's is free on a green day) with a made-up a packet of Batchelors savoury rice, mix altogether with four eggs - put in a greased loaf tin - cook for about 30-40 minutes - until it's set...

Its nice hot or cold.

That sounds really good, must find the chick pea dahl in Asda. What aisle is it usually in, world foods or beside the beans and stuff?

I think it's either in the tinned veg aisle or the aisle with all the lovely curry stuff in... lol I can't remember sorry!!

I found the chick pea dahl in Asda today - been missing for a few months. It's got a different label but is still 77p per can. The Asda website is still showing the old label so I hope they haven't changed their receipe

they have changed the recipe and it looks AND tastes nothing like the old version.

It's GROSS - the tin is now half full of a dirty brown slop that tastes both burnt and raw. Have emailed Asda CS to complain it was that bad :eek:

Goodness I had some with the new label on this evening and didn't notice any difference. Any chance you got a bad batch or am I REALLY unobservant?! Would be interested to hear what CS say ...

Unfortunately Trucker is right. We had some last night for our dinner and all three of us felt that the taste had changed for the worse.We, too, intend to complain.Did it always have lentils in it, by the way?

Oh no, I hope it hasnt changed much as I just brought some from Asda today!!

I reply to above post no it didnt have lentils in last time!!!! :confused:

It has always had lentils in, just didnt say so on the front label. I had a tin of both this week and compared the ingredients which were roughly the same ( a few % differences )
This is the Ingredients list from the old pinky purply labeled tin
Water
Chickpeas 28%
lentils 9%
onion 5%
Tomato puree 2%
Veg oil
modified maize starch
sugar
salt
cumin
turmeric
corriander
fenugreek leaves
caraway seeds
chilli.

anyone got the new can to post the new ingredients??

Ingredients from NEW can =

Water, Chick Peas (28%), Red Lentils (8.3%), Onions (5.6%), Tomato Puree (2.8%), Rapeseed oil, thickner, garlic puree, sugar, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground fenugreek, Tumeric, chilli.

Bit different. Red lentils.

Back