Asking doctor for xenical

Blue Butterfly

Gold Member
Hey everyone,I hope its ok for me to post here.

I am not on xenical but I have been looking at this section of the forum and reading up on pros and cons of being on it and I really think this is the thing that will help me.
I know its not a 'wonder drug' that will let me eat what I want and still lose weight! I know its really just something that will make me think before eating 'bad foods' or suffer the consequences! So I just need to follow a low fat diet.
I keep starting a diet and then pigging out when I start to do well so I gain all the weight back :(
I think being on xenical will stop me from pigging out....I'll be too scared to!

But how do I bring this up with my doctor? I cant just go in there and demand drugs can I lol
I am currently going through alot of problems (anxiety,panic attacks,depression,self-harm) and my weight isn't helping. But everytime I go to my docs to ask about weight loss options they start talking about all the other stuff I just mentioned and I dont get time to talk about anything else (I have to see my doc every 2 weeks) Im not really a loud person so I wont butt in if the doc is speaking coz Id feel rude...Im abit lame like that!
So what can I say/how do I bring it up with the doc?

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Claire x

go in there, and say that you have been reading up and getting a lot of info about different things that you think will work for you, and say that you would like to try xenical.

if this doesnt work then go and see your pharmisist (i think thats how you spell it...) and talk to them about Alli... (only if you can afford it.)

you should be able to get this no problems from them but it is much cheaper if you can get it on the NHS...

Just be honest with your Dr.... and tell them you would like to give it a go...
if you get a no, get a second opinion is the best advice i can give.

Sorry you have been having a rough time....

At your next appointment, I would tell them that your weight impacts on the other issues too, and you feel it would give your self esteem a boost if you could lose some weight..and could they help you with that?? Say you've heard that xenical is very effective.

...It is your appointment about your issues, so you discuss what you want. Be brave, be positive, you can broach this. Good luck

Thank you both for your replies.
I am going to the doctors tomorrow morning and Im going to go in there and start talking before she does!
If that fails then I have written a letter as back-up. Just in case I get all tongue tied trying to explain stuff like I usually do.
I really hope she listens this time.

if she is any kind of dr they SHOULD listen to you!!! Be brave hun and you will get there

Hey Claire! Im so sorry you are having a tough time at the min!

Id just go in there an explain it the way you just did!

I always tell my self i am gunna write a list when i go to doc but i never end up doing it! For some reason i feel under so much pressure when i go in! Its a nightmare! I have 2 girls that are in and out of the docs every week and i forget to ask stuff then to so a letter is a fab way of getting your point across!

When i went to the docs to ask i went to see the same person twice over 2 months and she said no! I went to a diferent gp and he gave them me with out me even asking! I just told him i was having trouble loosing weight an it was making me depressed and he was very understanding!

So maybe you could approach it by saying the same? and then maybe introduce that you have been looking up about the health benefits of xenical!

Let us know how you go on!"

Take care!

love katie
xxx

Thanks all so much for your nice replies :)
I am really nervous about going to the doctors tomorrow but I will let you know how I got on.
It should be ok. She was trying to get me to agree to weight loss surgery a year ago so hopefully she will say yes to this. *keeps fingers crossed*

Claire x

I have just got back from the doctors.
Went in there and told her that I need some help with losing weight and before I even asked about xenical she asked if I wanted to try it. :D
She has given me a 4 week prescription for it. I have to go back and see her in 4 weeks so she can weigh me and make sure its working! If it is then she will prescribe me some more and will weigh me monthly to make sure its still working!
The only thing she told me was to take a multi-vitamin and explained the side effects to me. She didn't tell me about the 5g of fat in 100g thing but I know that from here so thats ok.

oh jeez though....she wanted to weigh me but the scales are out in the little waiting room bit. Anyway I got on but the scales stopped before I started :eek: I was horrified! I was too fat for the scales. So embarrased.
I will weigh myself at the gym tomorrow and get a little print out and take it to the doc as she needs to know my weight.
Damn the stupid doctors scales!!

I'll start taking the xenical on Sunday coz I weigh in on sundays.

Im sure I'll have tons of questions over the next however long it takes me to get rid of this weight,I hope thats ok?!

Claire x

So pleased you got what you wanted. Well done

Yeay well done hun1 glad u got them!

Dont worry about the scales hun! You werent the first and u wont be the last! The main thing is ur making a change and doing something about it!

Fire away any questions ! post lots and u will do fine! Maybe u could start a diary i find it helps me loads!

love katie
xxx

well done!!!!!
good luck, and ask away!!!!

Thank you everyone :)
Im just going through the posts on here and writing things down,doing my research!

I may start a diary then,that way I can keep track of what Ive eaten and stuff.

ok first questions!.....
I am currently doing the 2 week special K challenge(started yesterday)where you eat 2 bowls of cereal and then a dinner. Silly I know but me and a friend do it every new year :)
I use any cereal though not just special K coz that gets boring.
Ive checked,and all my cereals are under 5g of fat per 100g
But is this ok to be doing while Im on xenical. Eating 2 bowls of cereal and a meal. Or should I have more variety than that?
And also,I have semi-skimmed milk is that ok? Or is skimmed better?

And just one more (sorry,I just wanna get things right)
Is there a list on here or anywhere else that has all the 'good' and 'bad' foods on it? Id like to know roughly what I can and cannot eat.

Claire x

Hello!

im not really a fan of the cereal challange thingy cos i get too hungry and end up nibbling on everything! But i suppose if u can stick to it its ok! Probably would throw in some fruit for snacks to give diet a bit of variety!

there isnt really a list of what u can and cant eat on here. The main thing we do is check the labels on everything you buy! The first shop is always the worst cos it takes about 3 hours! lol but u will get the hang of it soon!

When i first started i used www.myfitnesspl.co.uk which you input what u have eaten an it adds cals/fat/protein etc! It also works out how many cals you can have for your weight and height and dependant on how many lbs you want to loose a week!!

love katie
xxx

if you wanna do the special k diet then do it!! Just remember it might be a good idea to take a vitimin sup so that you still get the right amount per day!!

Milk is pretty much fine, i personally have skimmed but semi is fine!!

Foods you can and cant have!!! Well i know there is a fish one!!! Dont know where or what the thread is called... (sorry im not much help really!!!)

have a look through peoples diaries is a good start on foods!!!

Back