Asparagus.... can't get enough of it!

jaylou

Gold Member
Well, it's that time of the year - the six weeks when the asparagus is out and I can't get enough of it! I won't buy this out of season so it's been a long long time since I last had it!

I'm spending a fortune on it, £2.50 a bunch and I'm having it pretty much every day. I'll need a second mortgage for the stuff soon. I'm going to get some crowns and grow the stuff if I can find something to grow it in.

So, my question is.... do you love it too? What do you do with it? Or are you a "sparrow grass" hater!!! :D

sorry hun never tried it but didnt want to read and run x

me neither!! was thinking about getting some the other day from the farm shop... £5.00 for 2 bundles....errr no!!!

me neither!! was thinking about getting some the other day from the farm shop... £5.00 for 2 bundles....errr no!!!

It seems to be the going rate! Worth every penny to me but I've got to ease off a bit cos it's so much money!!! :cry:

Love the stuff cant get enough of it. sorry to say that when its out of season i buy the tins.
also love spinach just as much.xx

Ooh, I've never had it tinned....does it taste the same or is it very different? Mind you, I think the fact that I don't have it for so long makes it taste all that much nicer!

does it taste like spinach then?

I *adore* asparagus to the extent that 3 years ago we planted some crowns in a half barrel, and only now can we crop as much as grows!! Thank heavens I made them portable(ish) - we are moving in 6 weeks, so they will be moving with us lol

My favourite ways with asparagus include:

with anchovy butter (no, not very SW, but if you syn the butter, why not?)

with poached egg and parmesan shavings

with smoked salmon in a 'quiche' (made this the other day - 3 eggs, a dollop of cottage cheese, splash of milk - yum!)

asparagus risotto

No not really, to me it has a taste all of it's own! To me it tastes like Spring cos that's what it reminds me of! How corny is that?

I *adore* asparagus to the extent that 3 years ago we planted some crowns in a half barrel, and only now can we crop!!

:) I knew you liked it Angie!

I need a barrel to plant some in in case we move in the future, that 3 years seems such a long time to wait but got to be worth it, it will save me a small fortune in the long run!

I love it with eggs and in risotto too.
Yum yum!!

Yes - you can eat one spear off each crown the first year (believe me - that becomes a ceremony!), maybe 2 or 3 from each crown the second year, and then eat the whole lot the third year!!

I can't grow the amount I would like to eat, but my homegrown efforts are so lovely, they are worth it :D

Not to add a sour note but does it makes anyone else's pee smell?

That was the first thing that i thought of when i saw this thread!
but i still eat it by the bunch anyway.

I'm currently in the US on holiday and have just had plate of asparagus with poached eggs for breakfast.

I ADORE the stuff! I do it in an asparagus and lemon risotto. Yes my wee smells! But if I could have it fresh every week I would! I thought of getting some crowns to grow and didn't, but I will this back end! Luckily some of the farm shops round here grow them. YUM!

may sound thick but how do u cook them ?

I love asparagus too! The tinned ones, Green Giant I think are mushy and salty, not worth the buy.

I like to put asparagus on my George Foreman. It cooks but keeps the natural flarvour of nuts! It's lovely with Salmon xx

After reading this I've bought some asparagus, it was on special offer at £1.49 in Sainsbury's. Now I just need to work out how to cook it!

Love the stuff cant get enough of it. sorry to say that when its out of season i buy the tins.
also love spinach just as much.xx

You must share the same taste buds as me - I was about to write pretty much the same message!! Think I'm worryingly addicted to both! x

Back